MXR - Microamp  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

i've just complete the GGG micro amp... and the same thing :(

the effect takes a little time to act when I push the 3pdt...

i've used for the 15uF cap a 10 paralel with a 4.7 cap and for the 22M i used two 10M resistors in series...

i've changed the 3pdt and the same thing... what can be wrong?

i'm testing it with an electroacustic guitar!

Browser
Information

Post by Browser »

Same schematic and yes it is still correct.
Attachments
Microamp.jpg
Microamp.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 3783 times

daniel.t
Information

Post by daniel.t »

Browser wrote:Same schematic and yes it is still correct.
Made an account to see your schematic and also to thank you. Cheers man, cant wait to get this started. My project idea is to make this: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_imag ... 746344.jpg
starting with the MXR =D wish me luck

daniel.t
Information

Post by daniel.t »

^^^ Before anyone tells me it cant be done.. i realise this. but i can make the analog ones. Anybody know of some way to simulate a pitch/octave change without a microprocessor?

matt239
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by matt239 »

SO this is a classic circuit, and probably some other circuits are based on it.
It seems to work OK, but it's inexpensive/mass produced and has been around for a long while,
(Not that that's bad, but sometimes manufacturers make compromises that a d.i.y.-er might have the luxury to avoid, say spending $1 more on parts, etc..)
(and also perhaps the community has learned some things in 30 years.. and sometimes silly designs persist just because..)
;
Do any of you see any obvious problems with the circuit, or obvious room for improvement? Mods?
(Or perhaps subtle, less-than obvious ones?)

Can we, for instance, achieve lower noise?
Or do we think this is pretty much optimized?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I think the Mr Black Boost Tiger is an update on the Microamp design: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... oost+tiger
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

Kinda but not really.
The Boost Tiger is an non-inverting opamp circuit, but that's kinda where the similarities begin to drift apart. It is a great lil low-cost, and highly effective circuit, at the same time it's nothing new under the sun. Build one up for yourself! I provided our schematic to prevent confusion.
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

Well MXR just updated it with an eq. I love mine stock but I wish it went below unity gain. That would require redesign though.

drewl
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by drewl »

With good components and tidy layout, the one I built is very quiet.

Since it's very similiar to the Distortion +, I made it switchable between the two so it's two pedals in one.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Is there a vero for this in stereo?

Is this basically the same principle as their MXR headphone amp?

Thanks
Rob

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

Browser wrote:Same schematic and yes it is still correct.
I just got a rev B version of this pedal that is close to the schematic; only the 1M to Vref is a 10M resistor. IC's are the same. It sounds absolutely great, although the potmeter is shot :)
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

Karlaucas
Information

Post by Karlaucas »

hello everyone. I have a problem with my Microamp. I built the compact circuit IvIark with all components in its exact value. Sounds great but the problem is that with Volume Pot turned to 0 the volume increases several Db. I have seen on video demos should not increase the volume. What could be the problem? Solders are clean, there is no connection between tracks and everything works. Help !! [smilie=a_hrm.gif]

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Hi! Welcome here!... where all your doubts will grow eventually , but in a friendly environment :lol:
Your question is not clear enough to me. At first, looks like your pot is working in reverse, but I'm not sure... have you 0 volume at some point?
Check this out: http://www.electrosmash.com/mxr-microamp
no matter the position of the pot, the bridged pins must be 1 and 2, so when the pot is @"10", you have the less resistance (0k) and, inversely, when you pot is @"0", you have the maximum resistance (500k)
Hope it helps, at least, for a start :thumbsup

balokker88
Information

Post by balokker88 »

Referring back to the OP's desire to get less than unity gain from his Micro Amp, I found an easy way to get a large attenuation at full CCW on the volume knob. Not silent, but many DBs lower. I put a 180 ohm resistor across R10, the 10k resistor on the output that runs to ground.
I now get unity just past 3 oclock, and still a large boost after that.
This is useful to me in the effects loop as a master volume for the amp. With a large 1.5" knob you can dial with your foot.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Does anyone have information on the Plus version? What type of tone stack did they use?

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Hello lads,

Just thinking out loud here. Perhaps it's a brainfart, perhaps it's not. I haven't forgotten about the modified Micro Amp from this thread and the improvements our forum brother ggedamed suggested.

Since the MXR Micro Amp M133 is basically a cleaned up Distortion+ M104, it can be easily built on a D+ board. Then in theory, the same should apply for boards from other D+ inspired pedals, such as the Ibanez Overdrive II OD-855. That one's basically a D+ with an added buffers and a tone control. (schematic on page 3 of this PDF)

Do you think it's worth the effort to make a booster out of an OD-855 ? Or would the buffers and tone control be overkill without the clipping ?

cheers,

Cub
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

drewl
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by drewl »

Try it and see?

Since the Micro amp and D+ are so similar I built one that can switch between the two.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

I just might go and do that, drewl ! I just might. :thumbsup

But before I start ordering a board and components, I would really like to hear from our members with more knowledge and experience than myself if it's worth the effort or not. After all, the OD-855 is very much intended to be a dirty pedal and the buffers and tone control may or not work well with a clean booster.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.