Behringer - VD400 Analog Delay

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

No, the VD does not stand for "venereal disease". It stands for "vintage delay".

There's a Cool Audio V3205 under the hood. The clock chip is marked CD3102GP, which is NOT made by Cool Audio. Does anyone recognize the manufacturer logo on it?

Bottom side has a shit-ton of SMD, as expected.

I managed to eek out a bit more than 300ms out of it by dicking with clock trimmer. But it's a very tight range that sounds good (to me).

For the money, it's a pretty good short analog delay. The filtering doesn't really try to help out the "shhhh" sound of the BBD. So if you're into that kind of thing, you'll love this pedal.

Most interesting to me was that about 90% of the weight of the pedal was from the super-thick aluminum bottom plate. The pedal housing itself is feather-light ABS plastic.

///
Attachments
vd400_1.jpg
vd400_2.jpg
vd400_3.jpg

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

I had some CDxxxx in a Rocktek delay too, but no luck as well with the manufacturer's name... :scratch:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

fws
Information

Post by fws »

I just got one for 20eu and found some strange behaviour with Planet Waves PW-PRA-205 (Custom Series) patch cables with angled plugs. VD400 wont power on with one of the cable's ends, and it is the same story with both of these cables Ive got. Since it is fine with PW-PC-01 which has straight plugs, you would think it is simply matter of connectors, but suprisingly VD400 will turn on if volume on guitar is rolled off completly. Then when I try to make it audible, VD400's LED will start to dim till its off. Any idea of why its acting like that? Ive got some other Behringers (SF300, SM200, BO100 and TO100) and neither of them ever did anything like that, same with Cool Cats and Bosses, power supplied by Dunlop and Danelectro adaptors.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

You're not using stereo cables are you?
Testing, testing, won too fwee

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:You're not using stereo cables are you?
It wouldn't work on both sides then, would it?
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

fws
Information

Post by fws »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:You're not using stereo cables are you?
No, those are your typical mono patch cables.
http://czakmusic.pl/foto_allegro/pw_pra205_2.jpg

jammybstard
Information

Post by jammybstard »

Has anyone ever seen a schematic for the Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay?
I have one; its a great little Bucket Brigade delay pedal and silly cheap but I want to re-house it and change a few things about the way it operates.

For instance, one thing that bugs me is the way the foot switch kills the wet effect dead; If your playing a piece and you want to move smoothly from a section with delay into a section without, I'd prefer it if there was an option to have the delay peter out in its own time; rather than abruptly stopping; is this normal behaviour with a delay pedal? this is the only one I've ever had.

So if anyone has a schem or knows where I can get one I'd apriciate a look at it.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

That's normal behaviour for some but not all delay pedals; the feature is known as "trails". Slacker over at DIYSB has a "bypass with trails" circuit you could use in your rehouse to add this feature, or you could do it in a seperate "bypass with trails" box.

jammybstard
Information

Post by jammybstard »

I have a few ideas on how to do it once I break into the circuit; the VD400 has a clean output built in so ther should be plenty of options. I'd also like to put a momentry stomp in to ramp up intensity for short period of max feed back!
I just need to find the schematic!

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Things like that it might be enough to just have access to the pots and the I/O connectors.

tibrocks
Information

Post by tibrocks »

Hey! is there any way to find the values of the three potentiometers? also, which of the trims can safely be adjusted to get a longer delay time?

thanks!

Tib

moony
Information

Post by moony »

Hi there,

can someone tell me the text on the 8-pin smd-IC on the bottom? It got burnt on my VD400. I can only read "coolaudio V ?? 58M"

Schematic would also be great, of course, but seems like there isn't anything..

Best regards,
moony

moony
Information

Post by moony »

edit: text of both 8-pin ICs please. Both of them got burned :oops:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal