EHX - (Super) Space Drum (Percussion Effect)  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Another Schematic Redraw, You can build either the Deluxe Super Space Drum or 9V Battery Model with this schematic. Not Fully Checked but Good at a Glance. One resistor at the Top Right I can't read the Value of on the Schematics I have... 2 or 3 something, i'd guess 2k2 or 3k3.
EHX (Super) Space Drum.gif
According to an Electro Harmonix Price List Mark Hammer posted, this was apparently used by 'The Clash' :horsey:

Video Demos!

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Couple of Decent Track shots and a side on PCB one of the Standard Model here in this ebay listing -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPACE-DRUM-Vintag ... 53e487cf87

Seems to have a trimmer in it which isn't on the schematic :hmmm:

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Scruffie wrote: Seems to have a trimmer in it which isn't on the schematic :hmmm:
Scratch that, yes it is.
(Was too late to edit)

JuliaDee
Information
my favorite amplifier: 2N5088
Completed builds: Invented and designed: EH-8000 Guitar Synth, E-H Space Drum, Super Space Drum, Crash Pad, Sequencer Drum, Clockworks. Designed: Zildjian Gen-16 Acoustic-Electric Cymbal System.

Post by JuliaDee »

As a historical footnote, here's the original schematic from my notebook. The drawings and most of the text is in my handwriting, but there are a few notes and a couple of revisions in someone else's - I think Mike had Howard Davis give it a once-over just before production.

julia
spacedrum.pdf
EH-5300 Space Drum and 5350 Super Space Drum
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 613 times

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

If you don't mind a couple of questions...

If you were using a transformer in the unit anyway, why not go full on Bipolar?

Did RCA make you your own branded 'EH' OTA chips?
Testing, testing, won too fwee

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Start Frequency pot wiper connects to pin 3 of the CA3094 and the Stop Frequency pot wiper connects to pin 12 of the 324. Also I think that the common legs of the two pots connect to +9v.

Also note that the other common legs of these two pots have a 15k or is it 13k resistor hanging down to ground, whereas the standard Space Drum has 3 x 1N4148 diodes.

Many thanks for the clean version of this circuit after all these years.

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

uncleboko wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Start Frequency pot wiper connects to pin 3 of the CA3094 and the Stop Frequency pot wiper connects to pin 12 of the 324. Also I think that the upper common legs of the two pots connect to +9v.

Also note that the lower common legs of these two pots have a 15k or is it 13k resistor hanging down to ground, whereas the standard Space Drum has 3 x 1N4148 diodes.

Many thanks for the clean version of this circuit after all these years.
Previous post corrected .

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Regards this circuit, someone contacted me recently and has kindly converted it to the LM13700 for me and provided a schematic and PCB layout to share (Thanks Andreas if you're reading this).

So here's the schematic, i'll post the layout up when I find the time (And work out Eagle!)
Hides-His-Eyes wrote:If you don't mind a couple of questions...

The Big Muff style chassis version of this pedal (Not the Super Version) Didn't use a Transformer, so that's probably your answer.

And I imagine RCA did, I have some house numbered parts of there's laying around from some other stuff.
Attachments
13700 Space Drum Schem.png

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Is the 13700 conversion just pin numbers or is it adding things like Ibias?

Is there a good page to learn about OTAs? I know the purpose but not the application.

JuliaDee
Information
Completed builds: Invented and designed: EH-8000 Guitar Synth, E-H Space Drum, Super Space Drum, Crash Pad, Sequencer Drum, Clockworks. Designed: Zildjian Gen-16 Acoustic-Electric Cymbal System.

Post by JuliaDee »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:If you don't mind a couple of questions...

The original had to run on batteries or external adapter, so single-ended was simpler/cheaper. For the second generation, I dunno... I guess it was easier just to keep what already worked. With Mike if you ever changed anything he would forever claim that the original sounded better, lol. And full bipolar would have meant another regulator...

Yes, RCA just put the EH1048 designation on standard CA3094's for us. At the beginning it was a bit of a trade secret.

julia

JuliaDee
Information

Post by JuliaDee »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Is the 13700 conversion just pin numbers or is it adding things like Ibias?

Is there a good page to learn about OTAs? I know the purpose but not the application.
I haven't done anything with OTA's in a while but yes the 13700 is pretty much a drop-in for the 3094. Ibias is optional but can definitely reduce distortion if that's what you're looking for. The National datasheet/app notes for the LM13700 are a good place to learn. The original RCA databooks were good too but long gone. Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operationa ... _amplifier

julia

JuliaDee
Information

Post by JuliaDee »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Is there a good page to learn about OTAs? I know the purpose but not the application.
I've scanned and uploaded the RCA OTA (CA3080 and CA3094) app notes from the 1983 "Linear Integrated Circuits and MOSFETS Application" book to these locations:

http://www.pragmaticdesigns.com/RCAAppN ... CA3080.pdf

http://www.pragmaticdesigns.com/RCAAppN ... bility.pdf

http://www.pragmaticdesigns.com/RCAAppN ... lifier.pdf

At the time these were "the Bible" on OTA's and they're still a great reference. Semiconductor companies appreciated the value of good app notes in those days. There's even a nice little tutorial on current mirrors at the end of ICAN-6668.

Hope this is useful.

Julia

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

That's absolutely fantastic julia, I look forward to reading through them. Thank you so much!

JuliaDee
Information

Post by JuliaDee »

JuliaDee wrote:
Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Is there a good page to learn about OTAs? I know the purpose but not the application.
I've scanned and uploaded the RCA OTA (CA3080 and CA3094) app notes from the 1983 "Linear Integrated Circuits and MOSFETS Application" book to these locations:

http://www.pragmaticdesigns.com/RCAAppN ... CA3080.pdf

http://www.pragmaticdesigns.com/RCAAppN ... lifier.pdf

At the time these were "the Bible" on OTA's and they're still a great reference. Semiconductor companies appreciated the value of good app notes in those days. There's even a nice little tutorial on current mirrors at the end of ICAN-6668.

Hope this is useful.

Julia
Hm, the link to ICAN-6077 was apparently too long; I've renamed the file. Let's try

Julia

inlifeindeath
Information

Post by inlifeindeath »

hey all,
i've now cloned both the Crashpad and the Super Space Drum, thanks to the help of Scruffie and Julia! I'll put some video up asap.

drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

I had an AC powered space drum (since sold) and the AC powered Super Space Drum for years. I don't really have much use for them, just could never see getting rid of them. Asked Mike about them once, especially the "Coordinator Input" and he swore he couldn't remember anything about it: not who designed it, what it did or anything else. Thanks so much Julia for helping sort out what these were. I'd love to see someone make music with the whole system!

JuliaDee
Information

Post by JuliaDee »

The "Coordinator" just allows you to inject an external signal into the Space Drum's VCA in place of its internal oscillator. Hitting the pad will then initiate a burst of the external signal with an exponentially-decaying envelope.

Full details of the Clockworks coming soon, stay tuned...

julia
drbob1 wrote:I had an AC powered space drum (since sold) and the AC powered Super Space Drum for years. I don't really have much use for them, just could never see getting rid of them. Asked Mike about them once, especially the "Coordinator Input" and he swore he couldn't remember anything about it: not who designed it, what it did or anything else. Thanks so much Julia for helping sort out what these were. I'd love to see someone make music with the whole system!

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

JuliaDee wrote:

julia
Now this i'm looking forward to :thumbsup

&
inlifeindeath wrote:hey all,
i've now cloned both the Crashpad and the Super Space Drum, thanks to the help of Scruffie and Julia! I'll put some video up asap.
And Hey! Great to hear you got them working, can't wait to see what you came up with, I really must get to making some of these.

JuliaDee
Information

Post by JuliaDee »

Clockworks info posted in a new topic at

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12667

Enjoy :-)

Julia
Scruffie wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:

julia
Now this i'm looking forward to :thumbsup