EHX - Metal Muff  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
luix
Information

Post by luix »

Is the same as metalzone http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s ... ematic.gif

the only difference is the mid pot substituted with two resistor so the mid is setted to 1kHz...
you can find some of my creation on instagram @ luixanalogdevices

elrengofa
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by elrengofa »

i'm still trying to make a pcb, but it is soooo hard!!! too many components

ubaid88
Information

Post by ubaid88 »

I would divide pcb into at least two part. Try like this. Gain section in part and tone stack in other.

elrengofa
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by elrengofa »

hey, check Q6, it have's a pin unconnected

ubaid88
Information

Post by ubaid88 »

Thanks for pointing that out.
That is why i provided you with da original schematic. I may have made some mistakes during drawing schematic in eagle.

ubaid88
Information

Post by ubaid88 »

Here is da new one.
But i know you have corrected it yourself.

moose23
Information

Post by moose23 »

Hi could anyone confirm the value of R52 on the EHX schematic is 10 Ohm or have a gut shot of the pedal that I could check it on?

While I'm here any ideas how that component would be fried? I'd presume it's due to using a dodgy power supply of some sort.

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

Anibody has cloned this pedal?? the layout, bill materials and PCB please??? iI have made the clone of the FX-86 and dont sound like MT-2 or the Metal MUFF!!!! this pedals is great and much better than MT-2; I wana build a Metal Muff one´s!!!!

LSD25
Information

Post by LSD25 »

I own a metal muff, grundge pedal and a Metal Zone. if the only major difference is the components and the eq section I have to say that they are making a hudge difference. I would never use the grundge or Metal zone as part of my regular set up and think they both sound lousy through my amps (in the case of the Metal Zone it could be the dual pots on the eq confuse me).

The metal muff gets nice basic distortion and/or metal sound the knobs are easy to fine-tune to get the tone focused. In a lot of ways the sound reminds me more of the Boss HM-2 where you have the ability to have some heavy bottom and clear but not schrill trebble. The other two don't seem as flexible tone non-flabby distorton range and eq wise as the EH. The Metal Muff seems has little or no hiss the other two are kind do excel in the hiss catagory. The EQ makes it easy to get a cut through sound live without being ear piercing.

It is interesting that the "special recipe" of components and eq in the Metal Muff really take the Metal Zone circuit and "fix" it into great and usable pedal. I now have one in my regular stage set up and it covers a lot of the sounds I got with a rat or HM - 2. Sounds great on Bass too.

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

Got one for repair, already done!
Almost all in SMD, If you are interested for guts let me know! Values are printed on the PCB!
:D

moose23
Information

Post by moose23 »

SPeter wrote:Got one for repair, already done!
Almost all in SMD, If you are interested for guts let me know! Values are printed on the PCB!
What was the problem?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

moose23 wrote:
What was the problem?
I predict dead 3PDT...? :mrgreen:

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

ubaid88 wrote:Here is da new one.
But i know you have corrected it yourself.
I don´t see the value of the R35 and the pot6?? also some of the condensers are hidden the values please you may clarified it!!! thaks a lot

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

moose23 wrote:
What was the problem?
Blown SMD reverse polarity protection diode, replaced with regular one!
Tomorrow will make detailed shots and post them here!

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

Here's the link to the RAR archive with the guts. I won't assemble the pedal till Friday so if you have more questions please ask!

Enjoy!

http://depositfiles.com/files/dy7vcs3p6

moose23
Information

Post by moose23 »

SPeter wrote:
moose23 wrote:
What was the problem?
Blown SMD reverse polarity protection diode, replaced with regular one!
Tomorrow will make detailed shots and post them here!
Ha strangley enough the one I had in also had a blown protection diode, not an smd one, I think it was the only non smd component.

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

In other blog; UBAID88 have a schem that I modified with some actual components to do in a single PCB one side; this is the schem:

There is correct?

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

GodSaveMetal wrote:In other blog; UBAID88 have a schem that I modified with some actual components to do in a single PCB one side; this is the schem:

There is correct?
Thanks, can you post please higher resolution image, values and parts names are not as cleanly visible on this schematic!

houseofglass21
Information

Post by houseofglass21 »

I know this is an old thread, but I had a question regarding a Metal Muff mod I was thinking about...

The Metal Muff would be greatly improved IMO if the top boost footswitch/knob could be turned into a gain boost...

basically have it so the top boost knob just gives you another preset gain level that you can switch on for lead playing. kind of how the vox satchurator has a gain boost footswitch.

would this be doable?

thn.technik
Information
my favorite amplifier: Laney
Completed builds: Shred master, Tube screamer, Reezafratzitz, SansAmp GT2, RAT, Okko Diablo, Metal Simplex...

Post by thn.technik »

Hi,
small but great mod for metal muff - Mid Frequency knob, schematic of MetalMuff is similar to metal zone MT-2 so there is no problem to add it.
It's double potentiometer - You can use 2xC22K or 2xC47k - characteristic C is negative A so you can use 2xA22K or 2xA47K (range will be from right to left). I use 2xB22K - works fine but not perfect ;-) Originally MetalMuff middle frequency is adjusted 'more less' to midnight position at MT2 MidFQ knob, with this mod you will be able to change this frequency what is helpful to get interesting sound ;-)
Enjoy :D
Attachments
MetalMuffModTHN.jpg