TC Electronics - Dark Matter  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

I need to get a pedal tomorrow for a reversing contribution. I have only a couple of choices so I want to ask everyone which of them they would prefer reversed.

Now here's the story, I bought a Boss BD2 today as I was under the impression it was a great blues pedal and as i've been working on a few of my own designs I thought it would be a good pedal to keep as a base for reference sounds in the blues genre. To be honest I find it a pretty naff effect so I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow to see if i can get something else. After looking on there websibe I see 4 pedals that appeal but it will depend on what they have in stock.

So assuming there all in stock can I get some ideas what you might find the most interesting of the 4, there all dirtboxes.

1. TC Electronic mojo mojo overdrive
2. TC Electronic Dark Matter
3. TC electronic Rottwieller
4. MXR custom badass Modified overdrive.

I know I haven't given you much time to think but i have to get this exchanged tomorrow.

Cheers all.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

I'm interested in the Darkmatter. :thumbsup

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

The Dark Matter sounds pretty awesome!

I am Klon.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

The shops website says the Darkmatter is in stock :applause: so far it's 2 for the darkmatter
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Dark Matter looks cool.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

If you are going for a blues sound, then I would go for the Mojo Mojo or the MXR. To me those sound more like blues pedals. From youtube clips I like the sound of the Mojo Mojo better out of the 2. I thought all the TC pedals were digital, is that not true? Any of them will be welcome to the forum though! :) The Darkmatter seems cool too, I just wouldn't consider it a blues pedal. I think Overdrives are more suited to blues.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

CHEEZOR wrote:I thought all the TC pedals were digital, is that not true?
No, the drives are analog ;) The toneprint enabled pedals are digital.
I'll be getting the röttweiler in a months time, so if bluesy is what you're up for, go with one of the other two. I'll be posting guts of the röttweiler soon.
For blues, I'd probably pick up the mojo mojo, but i'm more interested in the dark matter :)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

The only reason I got the Bluesdrive was just for a comparison for some pedals I was working on as I had heard it was quite talked about as one of the best blues sounds so I was just going to use it as a benchmark, but it's just another mid gain fizzy overdrive so it's going back. I don't really want another bluesy pedal so it looks like the DarkMatter gets the vote. It's pointless getting the röttweiler now as ggrrunge says he's getting that one in a while.
Fingers crossed that the shop will change the BD2 for the TC. :hmmm:

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Ice-9 wrote:The only reason I got the Bluesdrive was just for a comparison for some pedals I was working on as I had heard it was quite talked about as one of the best blues sounds so I was just going to use it as a benchmark, but it's just another mid gain fizzy overdrive so it's going back. I don't really want another bluesy pedal so it looks like the DarkMatter gets the vote. It's pointless getting the röttweiler now as ggrrunge says he's getting that one in a while.
I've been wanting the röttweiler since it was announced on TC's website last autumn. Just waiting for payday :D
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

grrrunge wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:The only reason I got the Bluesdrive was just for a comparison for some pedals I was working on as I had heard it was quite talked about as one of the best blues sounds so I was just going to use it as a benchmark, but it's just another mid gain fizzy overdrive so it's going back. I don't really want another bluesy pedal so it looks like the DarkMatter gets the vote. It's pointless getting the röttweiler now as ggrrunge says he's getting that one in a while.
I've been wanting the röttweiler since it was announced on TC's website last autumn. Just waiting for payday :D
Yeah grrrunge I know you have been waiting on the röttweiler, it was your original post that alerted me to these TC pedals.

Ok I have been back to the shop and got the BD2 changed and for an extra bit of dosh walked out with the Darkmatter. I've had 10 minutes jam through it and it is quite a nice pedal with a good range of sound. It's not a plexi though.

I'm just wondering if i should start a new thread for reversing it and link this one to it. Does it belong in the boutique or the modern stompbox area?

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Here is a couple of pictures to wet your appetite.

As soon as i removed the bottom case and saw the bottom of the pcb it was faily obvious there was going to be some SMD parts on the component side.
I got a surprise to see an H11F1 chip in there, its on the input and is a photo fet optocoupler.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datashe ... /H11F1.pdf

There are also three 8 pin dual low noise op amps marked 33178

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-p ... 3178D.html

Bottom pcb

Top pcb

briggs
Tube Twister
Information

Post by briggs »

I wonder what that optocoupler is doing there?

I am Klon.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

briggs wrote:I wonder what that optocoupler is doing there?
I've just had a very quick look over it, the optocoupler is connected directly to the input jack. It could just be isolating the input from the circuit or it might have something to do with the bypass function of the circuit. When I start to trace it out I will start at the input and the optocoupler.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information

Post by briggs »

I reckon it'll be part of the bypass network. Quite interesting though, I don't think I've seen a bypass network that uses optocouplers yet although I have heard them mentioned...

I am Klon.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

briggs wrote:I reckon it'll be part of the bypass network. Quite interesting though, I don't think I've seen a bypass network that uses optocouplers yet although I have heard them mentioned...
Yes it's definately part of there True bypass circuit which is allowin for the use of a 2PDT footswitch. I'm just trying to remove the footswitch and jack sockets so I can trace properly underneith them but that lead free solder there using is the hottest melting i've come across. Even tryed soldering in my own leaded to soften it up but i'm now out of desolder braid. Why don't most soldering irons go higher than 450 degree these days, it's a necessity i think now.

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

I believe some of the Voodoo labs pedals used an optopcoupler as part of the switching. Check out the link.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1005

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Chugs wrote:I believe some of the Voodoo labs pedals used an optopcoupler as part of the switching. Check out the link.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1005
Just had a quick look at this link and the Darkmatter is very similar, i am just starting to trace this out now but need to go and get some bits and pieces from RS components so will read that bypass article fully when i get back.

Thanks Chugs

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Moved this to Modern Stompboxes, and changed the thread title.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

I have removed a few of the components that make life difficult for tracing. It's getting a bit dark now so taking decent pictures are difficult and working on the pcb is blurring my vision now so I give up until day time.
Anyway here is a (poor) picture of the part of the pcb i will be tracing out first. This is not going to be a very quick trace as the PCB design is pretty crap, there are far too many vias that just are not necessary on a circuit like this, it has been made over complex by the pcb designer and it looks very autorouted. Bad boys at TC Electronicnext time hire some decent pcb people :secret:

I did start the tracing of the input side and the NOT so True Bypass of the effect but what I have schematic wise is not worth posting yet.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

[quote="Ice-9]...there are far too many vias that just are not necessary on a circuit like this...[/quote]

I think that mostly of the vias are intended to create all the test points that can bee seen in your first photograph, and also a bunch of them are to connect the solder side ground plane with the component side ground plane.

Perhaps if you mark with a coloured sharpie the vias that really connect the few solder side active traces we seen in the first photo, and with another colours those used for GND and for test points, you can faster the process.

Cheers,
Jose