Vox - SATCHURATOR pedal  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
ODwan
Information

Post by ODwan »

Anyone has info about that one, yet? Interview with Satch says that they spend several weeks with Vox's R&D team at his house and actually doin' some serious R&Dwork. This leads me to think that there might be really something new going on in there...
On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me to find a Boss DS-1 circuit with a few mods in it, for this was Satch's pedal of choice since his first album.
Any comments?
Greetings,
Timo

sonicvi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by sonicvi »

Do people really still care about Satriani?

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

sonicvi wrote:Do people really still care about Satriani?
That was a little bit harsh... :(

I am not a big fan of Satriani but I enjoy listening his records once in a while. I wish I could play like him.

I watched the video on the Vox web site. It looks an interesting pedal: a sort of DS-1(mods) + booster. Not a bad sounding pedal IMO.
Last edited by Silent Fly on 02 Apr 2008, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Evidently people do, since he still sells albums, still graces magazine covers, has effects pedal and guitar companies wanting him to design and endorse products, etc....

What was it that you (or any of us here on the forum...) do ?

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Most definitely.

ODwan
Information

Post by ODwan »

To a degree, I do! I'm not considering myself a fan, but Satch is one of the few shredders who can do so tastefully. I enjoy listening to one of his albums every once in a while. Especially "Flying in a blue dream", which was the first record I bought after I started playing the guitar. So it's kinda nostalgic for me!
Greetings,
Timo

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Professor SourTone »

I appreciate those people in a "wow, look at him go" kind of way, and I suppose Satriani gets respect for doing that stuff when it was quite new. As far as the Malmsteen/Vai debate goes I think I'd go with Malmsteen because his "better" tone is better than Vai's (whose isn't?), and he appears to have a sense of his own absurdity.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

pls,

Whenever you will do a search for either of these players on youtube there will always be a discussion running under that film with a "who's better" character.... Boring discussions...

I could't care less wether Satriani has a better "tone" than malmseen, Johnson, Vai or whoever. I also tend to listen for other stuff than the sacred "tone" as well. I prefer to listen to music, regardless of instrument, style or player. I will not stop listening or liking those players because their "tone" is not right... I couldn't care less.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Yes, I thought I'd distilled that whole discussion in a nutshell!

rs
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rs »

sonicvi wrote:
Do people really still care about Satriani?
C'mon guys, we're all grown up here, aren't we?
Dont waste your time with silly discussions, those who dont like him or them , just dont listen and save your comments!!!

cbriere
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cbriere »

it's in stores,
can't to see what's inside!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=482295

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Funny is it not that Richard Thompson, who can wipe the floor with most guitarists, does not use distortion!

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

"The Satchurator is the most musical, most dynamic, multi-function distortion pedal I ve ever played through" says Satriani. "This little red box is a monster tone generator. Following my specifications without compromise, and adding design innovations I never thought possible, the VOX team has delivered exactly what I need for the stage as well as the studio: a distortion pedal that responds to my touch, and produces a big, natural, harmonically rich tone compatible with any guitar/pedal/amp configuration."

Full marketing b.s. followed by an obvious untruth.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

..... tone compatible with any guitar/pedal/amp configuration."

No..... its only marketing b.s., You have to read it correct by ommitting the "between the lines":
The Satchurator ..... produces a ..... tone compatible with any guitar/pedal/amp configuration."
This means (only) that you can plug a guitar into this pedal and feed the signal produced by the Satchurator to any other effect pedal or amp, cause the input/output impedances and signal levels are designed for that - or more simply:
"The Satchurator has 6,3mm jack-sockets ....." :wink:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

if its compatible with any combo, i wouldnt want it because it would mask my rigs character.

Nilvert
Information

Post by Nilvert »

analogguru wrote:
..... tone compatible with any guitar/pedal/amp configuration."

No..... its only marketing b.s., You have to read it correct by ommitting the "between the lines":
The Satchurator ..... produces a ..... tone compatible with any guitar/pedal/amp configuration."
This means (only) that you can plug a guitar into this pedal and feed the signal produced by the Satchurator to any other effect pedal or amp, cause the input/output impedances and signal levels are designed for that - or more simply:
"The Satchurator has 6,3mm jack-sockets ....." :wink:

analogguru
LOL,

Agreed
Information

Post by Agreed »

Super Colossal is one of my favorite guitar instrumental albums, and it's quite recent. I dig what Satriani does. My wife really likes it as well, though she does appreciate instrumentals more than is stereotypically assumed of women (regardless of whether the stereotype is true or not), perhaps explained by her own orchestral roots and love of the bass.

That said, I think it would be foolish to think that Satriani (or any artist with signature gear) finally popped his electrical engineering cherry and buckled down to turn components into His Very Own Tone. More likely, he kibitzed on what he likes to hear when he plays, they looked at the kind of gear he's already using, they listen to his albums, and from that process prototypes emerge which he either gives the thumbs-up or thumbs-down. The degree to which the artist actually cares about the goods that bear his name is the only thing that influences that "thumbs up or thumbs down;" I'm sure a clown like Dan Donagen or however his name is spelled from Disturbed just lets Digitech go at it with their first album and come up with similar sounds using their existing modeling technologies, then sits back and gets fat off of royalties.

Cynicism at the industry aside, I don't really see the point of this pedal. His most famous, well regarded tones were in the '80s when he was running two DS-1 pedals into Marshall JCMs. Since that time, guitarists seem to agree that while his tone hasn't necessarily worsened, it also hasn't really become any better, just changed (and some will tell you he sounds like crap these days).

I don't know, I'll wait on a circuit before I look too hard at it. The idea of it is intriguing, but if it's just the same old shit in a different box, what's the point?

ODwan
Information

Post by ODwan »

Agreed wrote: The idea of it is intriguing, but if it's just the same old shit in a different box, what's the point?
That's really all I want to know... for curiosity's sake. Even if it's only to tell some raving fellow guitarist that it's only a DS-1 in a different box. It is actually fun to see looks on their faces :shock: when they are told that their ultrahyped 500€ bootik box is just a TS ripoff :evil:
But there still is an ever so slight chance of really learning something new that should not be cast aside!
Timo

TragicTravisty
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by TragicTravisty »

im surprised there are no gut shots yet. its already out, right?

Supafuzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Supafuzz »

Professor SourTone wrote: "...Following my specifications without compromise, and adding design innovations I never thought possible, the VOX team has delivered...."
Translation: "My specifications were worthless so Vox just made what they wanted and paid me for the endorsement"