Ibanez - CP-9 Compressor/Limiter  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
fuzzanova
Information
Location: London Town, home of her Majesty, The Queen....Gawd bless 'er.

Post by fuzzanova »

Just to bump this oldie -

I just picked up a CP9 in a (blind) trade - all appears to work ok but after the 9 o'clock position on the level this is one noisy pup.

Question - is it worth trying to make the pedal quieter or should I move it on?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg V4!!!!

Post by Liquids »

'Old' type CP9 is more or less a Ross type with a LM13x00 chip - lots of info out there in that regard.

But if it works and has value as an old pedal (or re-issue? not sure of the value of this pedal in the current market) you could easily build one cheaper, quieter, etc.

There is somehow a different circuit like the Maxon CP9 Pro+ or something like that may be...I'd suspect a THAT chip or a VCA based chip rather than an OTA...hard to say. Just tossing things out there.

fuzzanova
Information
Location: London Town, home of her Majesty, The Queen....Gawd bless 'er.

Post by fuzzanova »

Liquids wrote:'Old' type CP9 is more or less a Ross type with a LM13x00 chip - lots of info out there in that regard.

But if it works and has value as an old pedal (or re-issue? not sure of the value of this pedal in the current market) you could easily build one cheaper, quieter, etc.

There is somehow a different circuit like the Maxon CP9 Pro+ or something like that may be...I'd suspect a THAT chip or a VCA based chip rather than an OTA...hard to say. Just tossing things out there.
Sorry, should have mentioned - it's a LM13600N chip - seems to be the version posted earlier on this thread. MIJ (which should appeal to the Gear Polishers :) ) Judging by the state of the case and the fact it smells like Lance Keltner has pissed inside I don't think it's a re-issue.

I'll post some pix tomorrow.

At first glance there appears to have been an attack pot change, and an electrolytic change and the trimmer is cranked hard clockwise plus some really ugly lash-ons on the underside of the board to the LM chip (this may be factory, I've never seen this model's guts before)

I only got it in because I have several pedals in the Ibanez range from this period and all have been decent - but all ranges have a lemon.

Again, I'll give it the once over with the schem.

Thanks for the reply.

arivabox
Information

Post by arivabox »

I have long wanted to collect a copy of Ibabez CP10 Pro+. But I understood it would be very difficult, there is no circuit and there is a problem in chips from DBX, but there is an ebay, tricky voltage, different diodes and so on. Suddenly, who cares to look. Nothing to do with CP9 and CP10, which I collected. There is a legend that ibanez wanted to make a copy DBX160 )

arivabox
Information

Post by arivabox »

arivabox wrote:I have long wanted to collect a copy of Ibabez CP10 Pro+. But I understood it would be very difficult, there is no circuit and there is a problem in chips from DBX, but there is an ebay, tricky voltage, different diodes and so on. Suddenly, who cares to look. Nothing to do with CP9 and CP10, which I collected. There is a legend that ibanez wanted to make a copy DBX160 )
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf6hrdsg0wt3b ... 1.jpg?dl=0[/img]

arivabox
Information

Post by arivabox »

I have long wanted to collect a copy of Ibabez CP10 Pro+. But I understood it would be very difficult, there is no circuit and there is a problem in chips from DBX, but there is an ebay, tricky voltage, different diodes and so on. Suddenly, who cares to look. Nothing to do with CP9 and CP10, which I collected. There is a legend that ibanez wanted to make a copy DBX160 )
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf6hrdsg0wt3b ... 1.jpg?dl=0[/img][/quote][/quote]
Attachments
IMG_20170821_1245561.jpg