EHX - Wiggler  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Nocentelli wrote:
Rodgre wrote:
bajaman wrote:Hey - I looked, but it is missing from my archive too :wink:
Anyone besides that poor sad fool puretube who lurks here got it.
if so PM me too.
Cheers
bajaman
No offense, and pardon me if you were just being ironic (you know how hard it is to tell the tone in people's posts), but didn't that poor sad fool design the thing?
nelson wrote:The guy did design this effect and whatever you think about his attitude to intellectual property he has put *alot* of work into his effects. They are not just standard cookie cutter designs.
borislavgajic wrote:....it took some time for me to realize that Wiggler nothing else but modified Wurlitzer 44 vibrato.[/b]...slightly modified....one tube in LFO section is substitued with IC based LFO.....and some switching to make it more interesting.......

so no mistery here :thumbsup

http://www.thermionic.info/dorf/Dorf_Th ... ibrato.pdf

boris
Ironic, yes?
:applause: :applause: :applause: yeees....that is reason why they are keeping "inventions" top secret......pure tube........

But I would love to see or hear from man who really invented this.....in 1953 :hmmm:

boris

station
Information
my favorite amplifier: Homemade 18 Watt w/ 2xEL84 and tremolo.
Completed builds: Big Muff Pi (mostly violet Ram's head with my own bias and impedence mods)
OCD, BYOC OD-2, GGG Tube Screamer, Red Llama, Dallas Rangemaster, Fuzz Face, SHO, Valvecaster, Bajaman's CX-3, ROG 22/7, ROG Professor Tweed, ROG Tri-Vibe, MXR Dynacomp, Mxr Phase 45, Proco Rat (with clippping mods), EA Tremolo, PT 80 Delay so many more...

Post by station »

Ha! - I had a feeling it would play out this way. Just another supersecret "innovation" that is supersecret to hide its lack of innovation.

Oh, and one improvement that I made (besides dropping the whole pedal in acid to etch the finish off :lol: ) was to to put a 100 ohm resistor between legs 1 and 2 of the rate knob. Made the usable range go from 8 o'clock to 3 instead of 8 - 10 or 11. A very easy mod that makes this pedal way more enjoyable to play.

Oh, and here's a pic of the hack-job etch I subjected the enclosure to:

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

great box!!!! :thumbsup
I really like how it looks.........maybe you could sell that as your's invention to EHX.......I must say it is original!!! :applause:

boris

station
Information
my favorite amplifier: Homemade 18 Watt w/ 2xEL84 and tremolo.
Completed builds: Big Muff Pi (mostly violet Ram's head with my own bias and impedence mods)
OCD, BYOC OD-2, GGG Tube Screamer, Red Llama, Dallas Rangemaster, Fuzz Face, SHO, Valvecaster, Bajaman's CX-3, ROG 22/7, ROG Professor Tweed, ROG Tri-Vibe, MXR Dynacomp, Mxr Phase 45, Proco Rat (with clippping mods), EA Tremolo, PT 80 Delay so many more...

Post by station »

Thanks Boris - I've been etching all my builds lately. Such a great way to do graphics - but very time intensive.

It's amazing what customizing a pedal will do to your enjoyment of it. I'm sure it doesn't sound a whole lot better, but I feel more connected to the sound it makes, and that makes me sound better. :)

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

station wrote:Thanks Boris - I've been etching all my builds lately. Such a great way to do graphics - but very time intensive.

It's amazing what customizing a pedal will do to your enjoyment of it. I'm sure it doesn't sound a whole lot better, but I feel more connected to the sound it makes, and that makes me sound better. :)
100% right .... :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

himister wrote:Hi.
As I see from the photos these are single sided PCB's inside or my eyes "are cheated by some spell". :D

Is there a chance for someone to post a scanned copy and sizes of the PCB's???
I'd be willing to redraw it as the original is! :horsey:

Thnx. :thumbsup

himister :thumbsup
that is great idea!....you could use your tube sockets and IC socket sizes to compare with real thing....and you have transformer measures at ggg..

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... former.pdf

boris

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

that is great idea!....you could use your tube sockets and IC socket sizes to compare with real thing....and you have transformer measures at ggg..

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... former.pdf

boris
.......[/quote]

Damn :slap:

I was hoping for the scanned copy of the boars, or at least couple of photos made from the center top.
I saw the soulsonic has made a couple of really good gut shots. I thought maybe someone could stick the pcb in the scanner and make a copy for reference and measure exact sizes.

But I guess will have to do it the hard way. :horsey:

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

orpheumlover
Information

Post by orpheumlover »

I have a Wiggler and can honestly comment on it. EH had a great idea with this pedal but IMO they tried to do too much at one time and missed the mark for what it could truly be. For the tremolo section, they try to emulate four different tremolo styles but only two are close, the Vox and the Hammond. The tubes (12AX7s) make a big difference. The stock tubes are crap. One of mine was even buzzy and microphonic so I swapped them out with NOS Sylvanias, NOS GEs and NOS RCAs. The GEs seem to be the best and are most variable and sensitive. Maybe Mullards would sound even better for the Vox section but I do not have any. There are plenty of YouTube samples out there to check out. I really wish they had a Fender or even a Gibson option and I do not know why they don't.

They vibrato section is a different beast. I think that all four the circuit settings sound the same, no matter what tubes are in there. I tend to stick with the Leslie setting and twiddle the knobs until it sounds palletable. It's an interesting concept since I absolutely love the sound of a well done tube vibrato effect.

I have not used it in recording because it is hard to really set it and keep it where you want it to stay. I do not know if I would use this pedal live because there is so much that can go wrong...kick a setting knob, step on the tubes, etc...

My suggestion. Design an exact copy of your favorite tube amp's tremolo circuit and put that single circuit in a stomp box. My ideal tube tremolo pedal would be to make a copy of a Fender Tremolux/Vibrolux or VibroChamp circuit. That way, you know what you have and can tweak it to sound better. Or make your own tube vibrato pedal.

Don't get me wrong. The pedal is a good pedal but it seems as though EH should have asked folks like us for advice on how to make it better (simplify it) and more economical to build. If I wasn't such a tremolo/vibrato enthusiast or a young kid trying to impress his friends, I would probably love this pedal. If you are planning on building this circuit by yourself, it's not worth it. Build my Fender tremolo style instead (with NOS RCA 12AX7s)!!

Orpheumlover

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

I wouldn't really want this pedal for the trem settings but I like the vibe and leslie settings. I never use trem but my vibe clone gets a lot of use.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

I was also in that "as much as possible buttons" mood.....like PUreTube....he add some SW to combine wah -phase-vibrato-tremollo-and sooooo.........just too much knobs and functions......IMHO......now I think that pedall should have 2-3 knobs and do one thing only( and do it really good)..................but ....that is only my opinion,and it is very hard to get there :block:

boris

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Damn

I was hoping for the scanned copy of the boars, or at least couple of photos made from the center top.
I saw the soulsonic has made a couple of really good gut shots. I thought maybe someone could stick the pcb in the scanner and make a copy for reference and measure exact sizes.

But I guess will have to do it the hard way.

no, you do not !!! station was kind enough to make this photo!

https://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr4 ... G_0146.jpg

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

borislavgajic wrote: station was kind enough to make this photo!

Well Boris... I guess this should be sufficient.
Will you continue working on the file I've send you or should I? 8)

Cheers

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

himister wrote:
borislavgajic wrote: station was kind enough to make this photo!

Well Boris... I guess this should be sufficient.
Will you continue working on the file I've send you or should I? 8)

Cheers
I am not that skilled with using Sprint layout :block: ......(I was using it just for tracing...and redraw it all in expressPCB) .......so.....please if you have some time to waste :mrgreen: ...??? :( .....those projects of yours looks awesome man!!!
.... if you do not ,never mind...there is hand drawing of pcb 100% correct,and very nice PCB photos....so every body can make PCB out of it........ :block:

cheers

boris

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

borislavgajic wrote:
I am not that skilled with using Sprint layout :block: ......(I was using it just for tracing...and redraw it all in expressPCB) .......so.....please if you have some time to waste :mrgreen: ...??? :( .....those projects of yours looks awesome man!!!
.... if you do not ,never mind...there is hand drawing of pcb 100% correct,and very nice PCB photos....so every body can make PCB out of it........ :block:

cheers

boris
Ok ok! I'm just looking at photo and the SL5 file and it will need some time to do it. :roll:
This will be the guessing game, drawing this one from photo. :slap:
Hope everyone will be patient enough since I have other projects to do as well.

Cheers - nazdravlje.
:popcorn:

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

This will be the guessing game, drawing this one from photo.
I hope this helps a little :block: ...so there is no guessing no more :hug:

boris
Attachments
WIGG.jpg

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

borislavgajic wrote: I hope this helps a little :block: ...so there is no guessing no more :hug:
boris
Well you are almost there. :lol:

For the future just to point out, do not use track width less then 0.8mm, I recommend 1mm or more, 2mm for the supply tracks. At least for this one.
I've done the filming for the pcb I've made for one of my pedal projects prototypes and drilling the pads was messy since they were very close and pads very small and I had a smallest drill of 0.5mm. :slap:

Somehow I doubt this layout of yours is accurate from the aspect of size of the board (???) and components are not aligned on grid very well. Also you can try a real tube socket macro and you'll get the picture. (attached below-just copy to the USER dir in SL5 install dir)
12AX7b.rar
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Anyway thanks for the effort Boris! :thumbsup
You could send me that SL5 file by e-mail if you don't mind so I could try it also!

Cheers bro! :wink:

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

I could not install tube socket into SL5....I have demo version(cracked....but....)

here is SprintLayout file(if mail fails :block: )

and when this all is done modman could put it in completed projects section :oops:

boris
Attachments
wiggler pcb.rar
(751.87 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Thanks Boris.

You can install the file by just copying into the MACROS/USER/ in Sprint Layout install dir and when you restart program it will be under the components list on the right side.

If you have trouble again, I'll make a self-extracting archive of the file for you, just shoot.
:thumbsup

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Damn :slap:

Anyone bother to check??? :roll:
Couple of external wire connections need to be tweaked and piggy board is about to start!

Any one with photo of piggy board for pots???

Wiggler1.GIF