Bogner - Burnley

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

Bogner Burnley inside photos. (Burnley or Burnly on pcb)
Attachments
Bogner 01.jpg
Bogner 02.jpg
Bogner 03.jpg

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

Was there a problem with the pedal? What was it ?

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

karul wrote:Was there a problem with the pedal? What was it ?
Some low quality soldering contacts.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

I'm guessing there's at least one op amp on the other side of the pcb? There's clearly LED clipping, and it looks like at least one of the transistors is used in conjunction with a diode near it, for what looks to be a variation of diode clipping. I guess that's what the tight/fat switch mostly is.

The capacitor parts count looks to be very low, so along with the singular tone control, I guess this might be like a Crunch Box or Riot type of Guv'nor-based distortion pedal, probably just with the addition of the inductor as well?

Kind of amazing that this pedal sells for over 200USD, but looks to be manufactured with mostly the same techniques and components as something by Biyang. I guess there might be a claim of high expense for the inductor, and yet I can get an output transformer for a Deluxe Reverb for 35USD.

I guess the faulty solder joints are not really surprising, then.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

MoonWatcher wrote:I guess this might be like a Crunch Box or Riot type of Guv'nor-based distortion pedal,
After more inspection, I don't think this is so. The gain pot can be clearly seen connecting to CN5's pins 2 and 3, with R47 in series. I have no doubt that those ultimately connect to an op amp, to either pins 1 and 2, or 6 and 7.

Only two pins of the gain pot are used - something like the Guv'nor uses all three, so that it can vary the gain at both IC1A and IC1B.

It also appears that unless bicolor LEDs are being used that LED2 is simply for status switching. LED2 connects to pin 4 of CN2, which connects to the footswitch. There looks to be a ground connection from pin 2 of CN2.

At least one of the transistors looks to be an output buffer, and I think I see a 1M resistor from either base-to-ground or gate-to-ground. I can't make out if there is a 1k from emitter or source to ground, but would expect there to be.

There looks to be only three electrolytic caps, unless there are more on the other side. The two lower ones look to be the usual suspects for power input filtering and op amp biasing. The only upper one is probably an output cap, and its value, if other than 1u, might give clues as to what this pedal might borrow some of its design from - 4u7 from a Rat, or maybe 10u from a Tubescreamer?

Two of the Wima caps above the tone pot look to be for the tone circuit. Verification of their values, along with what the pot value is, might tell us a lot. Same thing for what the gain pot value is. Given the lack of larger-value caps in the form of electrolytics, tantals, etc., I would think that the gain pot value would be bigger than 100k - is probably either 500k or 1M.

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

What's the problem? Where degooping?

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Saruman wrote:What's the problem? Where degooping?
A little problem, some junk soldering points.

sebaseba
Information

Post by sebaseba »

I received one as a birthday present from my wife...
It had some problems, it never worked, i had to sent it back (i did not troubleshooted it since it was a present and i did not want to upset my wife..).
It has a very cheap build quality for a pedal so expensive...

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

Would be nice if this gets a lil lease of life.