True Bypass oop with a volume

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
javimart1212
Information
my favorite amplifier: marshall DSL 100

Post by javimart1212 »

So, we recently added a few songs to our list that require a heavier sound. To do this I've found myself using distortion pedals for those few tunes, but I've run into an issue. The problem is how sensitive a dirt pedal's volume knob can be, and the balance to your overall clean channel. So after some though I figured that a passive volume circuit could work. I decided on the looper idea below, plus the hardwire bypass on the pedal sucked anyway. But, I was wondering If I would need some type of treble bleed capacitor plus a resistor on the volume pot to avoid losing some highs. Any ideas if this is necessary and if so, what values to use?
True-Bypass-Looper-Volume-Control.png
True-Bypass-Looper-Volume-Control.png (67.29 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

javimart1212 wrote: The problem is how sensitive a dirt pedal's volume knob can be, and the balance to your overall clean channel.
Without a signal path map it's hard to know how to help. :scratch:

But if you're guitar goes into your passive bypass looper circuit *First* then you will have a lot of trouble getting this idea to work as it would need active buffers.
You could try using a compressor,,, Inserting a Compressor *After* the dirt pedal will help to normalize the volume jumps.
The volume on the dirt pedal will become less aggressive.
For guitar *Optical* compressors will likely give you better results. :secret:

I personally built this; https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... compressor
And it does exactly what you need.
Now I have no trouble with the balance between clean and OD pedals. :horsey:

I've tried the Boss units as well as lots of others, some of those all in one pedal boards and they don't work right for me.
The Really Cheap Comp is a set and forget unit, mine is on all the time. :thumbsup
HTH, Phil.

javimart1212
Information

Post by javimart1212 »

thanks for suggestion, but this pedal is after a compressor already. I was just looking for a calculation on treble bleed.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

As you have not stated if the loop is directly after guitar it's hard to know what to suggest.
maybe try 470pf and see if it helps.
Regards Compressor you need to put it ***AFTER*** dirt pedal otherwise it won't do anything to help.
Phil.

javimart1212
Information

Post by javimart1212 »

cool thanks

javimart1212
Information

Post by javimart1212 »

Tried the 470 pf and 68k resistor in parallel and it worked great... the tone stayed pretty even as the volume turned down.... really great way to managed a dirt pedals overall volume