Wem Watkins - Super IC Copicat Tape Delay (1978)

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Desdog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Desdog »

I had the honour of checking out this funky little device... so much fun. Really just needed some contact cleaner and cleaning of the tape heads.

Attachments
Wem Watkins - Super IC Copicat Tape Delay  schematic
Wem Watkins - Super IC Copicat Tape Delay schematic

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Designed I think by Alan Bradford of Time Machine Electronics.

Desdog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Desdog »

uncleboko wrote:Designed I think by Alan Bradford of Time Machine Electronics.
I have never heard of Alan Bradford or Time Machine Electronics... Google is not helping.

Charlie Watkins created this unit in the late 50s... initially it was tube based, later solid state.
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps ... picat.html
1958. Invented the "Watkins Copicat®" Echo unit. Inspired by the "Morino Marini" Quartet of 'Comi Prima' fame. It revolutionised the world of music overnight. No printed circuit boards, just a few valves, a tape loop.......and a bit of imagination. They were sold all over the world by the hundreds of thousands and it is still regarded as the 'World Standard' in echo units. Accredited as the major element in the "Sound of the 60's" chemistry - the other components being the Vox A.C.30 and the Fender Strat. Many thousands of models are still in nightly use today after 40 years!
But surely they idea was copied from the Echosonic invented in 1952 and heard on so many early Sun recordings.