EHX Freeze - wet only mod

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Spronzy MkIV
Information

Post by Spronzy MkIV »

Hi there, I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions on how to set up a wet only sustain signal chain.

I've seen previous posts on here about the EHX Freeze. I have a pedal board for bass that runs three channels. One clean, one for bass synth (Future Impact) and modulation (Eventide H9), the third is arpeggiated bass synth. In the mono version of this signal chain, everything goes through a compressor.
Bass synth pedal board.PNG
Basically It gives me the ability to play two layered bass synth lines at once. The arp function in the C4 pedal runs off a sustained note from the EHX at the same time as I'm playing a separate bass synth line via the Future Impact.

Because I already have a clean channel that runs parallel to the other channels, any dry signal from the EHZ Freeze while it is sustaining will potentially corrupt tracking by the C4.

I found Mimmotronics offering a wet only mod and made contact but they stopped responding after I mentioned my location was outside the US...even when I offered to purchase a pedal in the US and have it shipped directly to them. Not sure what to do now but I've spent thousands of dollars on a pedal board which relies on a wet only EHX freeze to work as intended.

Is anyone able to help with a partial schematic or maybe some tracing to isolate where the wet/dry mix happens on the PCB? I'm hoping it might be a simple snip to isolate the wet...but of course things are never as simple as they seem.

Alternatively, is there a better pedal to use? Any suggestions/advice gratefully received.

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

Spronzy MkIV wrote: Is anyone able to help with a partial schematic or maybe some tracing to isolate where the wet/dry mix happens on the PCB? I'm hoping it might be a simple snip to isolate the wet...
I guess, you should look right ater U2 dual opamp. Half of it is used as an input buffer, then there should be a split betweet two signal lines and an then back again into the 2nd part of it.

Spronzy MkIV
Information

Post by Spronzy MkIV »

plush wrote:
Spronzy MkIV wrote: Is anyone able to help with a partial schematic or maybe some tracing to isolate where the wet/dry mix happens on the PCB? I'm hoping it might be a simple snip to isolate the wet...
I guess, you should look right ater U2 dual opamp. Half of it is used as an input buffer, then there should be a split betweet two signal lines and an then back again into the 2nd part of it.
Thanks. So just to confirm, you suggest I look for a split in the PCB tracking from one leg of the U2 op amp and part of the split will go back to a neighbouring leg...? How best to tell which path is wet?

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

Spronzy MkIV wrote: So just to confirm, you suggest I look for a split in the PCB tracking from one leg of the U2 op amp and part of the split will go back to a neighbouring leg...?
Well, it's just my speculations , but the track coming from the opamp should split into 2 parts, decoupled from each other. One of them is fed into ADC->DSP->DAC, thet it gets mixed with the signal coming from 2nd track and fed into opamp.
Spronzy MkIV wrote: How best to tell which path is wet?
By following the path of trial and error. Or by paying attention to your board. An audio probe and/or a multimeter might also help.