Danelectro - CTO2 Transparent Overdrive  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

earthtonesaudio wrote:No (additional) conspiracy going on with the TGP thread being deleted. I started that thread, hoping to discuss the double standard applied to boutiquers cloning the big companies vs. the other way around. Once it morphed into free advertising for Danelectro, I deleted the thread. I should have known.
Sorry... just noticed your post.

I have to tell you... with respect.. I hate it when someone does that.

Firstly, most will assume it's the site admins who've deleted it (because they don't understand why someone would start a thread, watch it become a hot topic, and then delete it).

Secondly, because all the people who've taken the time to make a post and become involved in that discussion are suddenly dumped.

I really can't say that it was advertising for Danelectro as most there were in support of Paul C. More like bad advertising for Dano, with many saying they'd boycott them...
..but it's an public forum for open discussion. Whatever direction a thread takes.. so be it.
Just my opinion.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

CO-1 Drive - rumoured to be a Tubescreamer
CV-1 Vibe - Univibe
CD-1 Distortion - I'm betting a Marshall probably Guv'nor
CF-1 Fuzz - Peach Fuzz
I have the CO-1 and its not a TS clone. It gets VERY heavy. Almost like a ratish style circuit....
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

sevinisthenumber wrote:

I have the CO-1 and its not a TS clone. It gets VERY heavy. Almost like a ratish style circuit....
Have you looked inside ?

There's a guy who mods them on Ebay who says it's a TS... I figure if he's been inside and modded it he must know what it is :https://cgi.ebay.com/MODDED-Danelectro- ... 7C294%3A50

Quote: "What do they sound like? What are they based on? Why's everyone gotta ask that;) Well they're based on what almost every boutique pedal is based on but with some touches that really make it come alive (a TS-808/TS-9 Tube Screamer). "

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

strange. I just dont hear it. It seems alot different...
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

sevinisthenumber wrote:strange. I just dont hear it. It seems alot different...
They probably just cranked the Drive up over a standard TS.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

We never got to the bottom of the FAB Overdrive. The "official" story about it being a copy of a super-rare 70's overdrive has me intrigued.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

soulsonic wrote:We never got to the bottom of the FAB Overdrive. The "official" story about it being a copy of a super-rare 70's overdrive has me intrigued.
Wasn´t the FAB Overdrive a tubescreamer-derivate with two/three diodes in the feedback loop and using a LM833 as opamp ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

analogguru wrote:
soulsonic wrote:We never got to the bottom of the FAB Overdrive. The "official" story about it being a copy of a super-rare 70's overdrive has me intrigued.
Wasn´t the FAB Overdrive a tubescreamer-derivate with two/three diodes in the feedback loop and using a LM833 as opamp ?

analogguru
I've got one somewhere if anyone wants pics
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

analogguru wrote:

analogguru
Was it? I've never seen a schematic or photo of it. That certainly wouldn't match with their hype story... not that I really expect that story to be true.

Yes, IvIark, it would be nice to see pics. Thanks in advance!
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Sorry about the 2 pics of the rear of the pot PCB. My camera isn't great for macro shots and I just couldn't get it to focus, these are the best of the bunch. If you need anything confirming just tell me.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Thanks for the pictures....
Are you sure that they are from the FAB Overdrive and not from the FAB Distortion ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Oh bollocks, that's what happens when you start pulling things apart when on autopilot! :oops:

Give me 10 minutes, hee hee

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

I've wanted to see the FAD OD innards for a while now :horsey:

I am Klon.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Finger crossed this time I didn't open the Fab Metal!

Image Image

Image Image

FredFarkus
Information

Post by FredFarkus »

Fab Overdrive:

edit: Don't know where page 2 went- it's typical TS stuff...

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

earthtonesaudio wrote:
modman wrote:
theehman wrote:
TubeDude22 wrote:The Danelectro Clone morality wars have started on TGP...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=499151
thread deleted??
Yep, here's the proof that there still need for freestompboxes.org. :wink:
Whenever I see kinky thread like this one, I go to the printview and save it as for backup.

It is, in my view, the first corporate clone of a boutique stompbox, and in that sense it's really surprising. We did see the Ibanez swirl pedal, but that was on just a graphical clone... was notable still.

Now I'm really dying to find a release date for that Danelectro box... :horsey:
Modman or other mod, shouldn't we merge this thread with the other one on the same matter?

No (additional) conspiracy going on with the TGP thread being deleted. I started that thread, hoping to discuss the double standard applied to boutiquers cloning the big companies vs. the other way around. Once it morphed into free advertising for Danelectro, I deleted the thread. I should have known.
those speculating on why the thread was deleted, please read through the posts (see above)

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Yes, I deleted it. Also, I farted in the elevator. :oops:
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

:whappen:

I am Klon.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

For the curious, I started a thread on TGP called "double standards" in which I ranted about this situation using general terms instead of naming names. Eventually they all figured it out and then there were like 5 pages of "Danelectro vs. Timmy: which is better?" posts. I wanted to have a discussion about how there are double standards in regards to cloning by/of major manufacturers vs. boutique builders, but I guess it was just me. I got sick of what I was reading and pulled the thread, even though I agree with Greg_G that it is quite annoying to have a thread suddenly disappear. In the future I think I'll save my attempts at thoughtful discussion to forums more like this one, and reserve TGP for... uh, market research.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

FredFarkus
Information

Post by FredFarkus »

You can't have discussions like that at TGP. It's like trying to explain quantum physics to a group of gorillas. Goes right over their heads- woosh!

BTW- the most effective way to fart in an elevator is to wait until right before the doors open on a popular floor when you are getting off. Doors open, big group of people get on, and you're long gone...