Danelectro - CTO2 Transparent Overdrive  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Ronsonic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ronsonic »

Ya know, with that build quality, customer care and way low price, I woulda thunk that the Tim and Timmy were fucking clone proof. Of all us here, is there anyone who thinks he can build that pedal as well and cheaper and still make it rewarding. Apparently, the guys at Dano figure (probably rightly) that there are enough people who just want it cheap even if it's inferior.

They should've swung a deal.
My Pedals, Products, Services and DIY Blog: http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com/

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Ronsonic wrote:Ya know, with that build quality, customer care and way low price, I woulda thunk that the Tim and Timmy were fucking clone proof. Of all us here, is there anyone who thinks he can build that pedal as well and cheaper and still make it rewarding. Apparently, the guys at Dano figure (probably rightly) that there are enough people who just want it cheap even if it's inferior.

They should've swung a deal.
Why? They were probably pretty sure Paul didn't have the money to take them to court so why spend money on a licensing deal. Same thing with Frantone.
The television will not be revolutionized.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Sorry, i posted this earlier but accidentally buried it in a quote:

Modman or other mod, shouldn't we merge this thread with the other one on the same matter?

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Well at least we have one person to point a finger at. Helped design? :scratch:

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Let's question him!

http://www.hanklinderman.com/
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

IvIark wrote:Let's question him!

:applause: Okey doke!

"I saw a video on YouTube of you demoing the Cool Cat series from Danelectro. The interviewer mentioned you were a co-designer. The Transparent OD sounds great! What was your inspiration? Thanks for your time."

I'll let you know what he says...if he responds.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

:lol:
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

The Rotagilla wrote:

"I saw a video on YouTube of you demoing the Cool Cat series from Danelectro. The interviewer mentioned you were a co-designer. The Transparent OD sounds great! What was your inspiration? Thanks for your time."

I was thinking about leaving a review in MF's online Cool Cat product section mentioning Paul's product, since they explicitly say that comparisons to other products are welcome in reviews. :scratch: :hmmm:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

The Rotagilla wrote:

i saw you left that in the video comments. just to be clear, i don't think that is "hank"'s video channel.. you could probably get to him through that website though!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Skreddy wrote:
The Rotagilla wrote:

I was thinking about leaving a review in MF's online Cool Cat product section mentioning Paul's product, since they explicitly say that comparisons to other products are welcome in reviews. :scratch: :hmmm:
I think that would be fun. See how they react. Probably not at all but it's still a game to play!

I am Klon.

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

FredFarkus wrote:You can't have discussions like that at TGP. It's like trying to explain quantum physics to a group of gorillas. Goes right over their heads- woosh!
wow...... :D
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

RnFR wrote:
The Rotagilla wrote:

i saw you left that in the video comments. just to be clear, i don't think that is "hank"'s video channel.. you could probably get to him through that website though!
That wasn't me, someone lifted the quote from here.

Hey! I've been cloned! [smilie=rlp_smilie_130.gif]

Agreed
Information

Post by Agreed »

"Hi CarbonZinc9 - actually, I'm the interviewer, not Hank! But if it helps, Hank has based all these pedals on the sounds of classic and boutique units, from various manufacturers - pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit."

I'll be godfucked.

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

LOL

Uma Floresta
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Uma Floresta »

At least they're being honest about it.

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

Hank has based all these pedals on the sounds of classic and boutique units, from various manufacturers
Old news. A few years ago when the little $15 Fab pedals came out, they were based on other pedals. Dano released "folksy" stories with veiled comments on what they were derived from. Their older stuff with the "food" names - many if not all of those are based on existing designs - marshall guvnor, fox tone machine (big surprise) etc... Now, the "sitar swami" - that might have been theirs, but if it were me I wouldn't claim that one... :shock:
"You have just tubescreamered or fuzzfaced yourself " -polarbearfx

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Agreed wrote:"Hi CarbonZinc9 - actually, I'm the interviewer, not Hank! But if it helps, Hank has based all these pedals on the sounds of classic and boutique units, from various manufacturers - pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit."

I'll be godfucked.
:shock: Balls. Huge ones. Prolly the biggest I've ever seen.

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

at the end of that terrific demo, he said "compare them to the very best pedals out there, and i think you'll be absolutely surprised." :horsey:

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Uma Floresta wrote:At least they're being honest about it.
not really. They still haven't said "it is the same circuit as..."

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

The Rotagilla wrote:
Agreed wrote:"Hi CarbonZinc9 - actually, I'm the interviewer, not Hank! But if it helps, Hank has based all these pedals on the sounds of classic and boutique units, from various manufacturers - pedals that would sometimes cost hundreds of pounds for an original unit."

I'll be godfucked.
:shock: Balls. Huge ones. Prolly the biggest I've ever seen.
Big as pumpkins.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.