Danelectro - CO-1 - Cool Cat Drive  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

merged.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

jojojo wrote:I was wondering if its possible to run the danelectro cool cat drive at 18 volts like many people do with the Fulltone OCD?
Or will any damage be done?
The TL072 in it has 18V as the max Vcc. The 2N2222 should bear it without any problem.

You may try it if your power supply is really 18V, but I think it's kinda risky... If it's above 18V, you may fry it.

Maybe those who try have no problem even with some extra tenth of volts, but I wouldn't go above 16V myself.

If it's done with the OCD without mod, then I guess it should work since they're almost clones.

But mind the LED's R15. 2k2 is for 9V. You have to increase the value if you rise the voltage.
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

reubster
Information

Post by reubster »

FWIW

It works fine and sounds heaps better using 15V instead of 9volts.
If your stuck with 18 and still unsure, you could always put a 3 voltish zener on the dc jack.

snyder80
Information

Post by snyder80 »

Hi there!

My silver dano sounded slightly compressed. After i saw the gearmandude comparison with an ocd v1 and the dano cc drive i realised the dano had a little more highs and less of that midrangy shimmering attack.

A quick look at the values made me firat guess: well change the opamp for an smd 082, since i already did some smd-opamp-changes in my behringer gdi21.

BUT:

There is no need for that to get more midrange-bassy-balls out the dano (at least to my ears). I only changed the output-cap from the second gainstage from 2.2 uF to the common value of 10uF non-polarised elko.
That did it to me! now then dano drive sounds quite similar to the crunch on my laney lc15 aka. marshallish. It also made the tone-control much more versatile. By the way: i realy like that 100nF tonecap because when using a bright switch for chimey-jangly cleans i get a very well and non-earpiercing drive with the tone at about 1 third up.

Greets,
Snyder80

ainokami
Information

Post by ainokami »

Hello,

I've been thinking about building an OCD clone, but read on some other forums that the OCD acted funny with some effects due to having a high output impedance...since the Cool Cat Drive has an output buffer, does it get along better with other pedals? or all the talk about the OCD not liking buffered pedals after it is all nonsense?

guitarist
Information

Post by guitarist »

Because the output is so dang hot, is there a way to reduce this without losing distortion? Or is there a chip that makes IC1b a lower gain side. The distortion is generated around the first stage, right?
Is the buffer Q1 lowering the impedance, acting alike a cathode follower?

I know, lots of questions;)

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

nooneknows wrote:In the current Guitar Player magazine issue there's a test about 39 pedals, the Dano Drive is among them.
The article says it hasn't such an inspiring distortion tone and it doesn't clean up well rolling back the guitar volume.
Given the fact the Dano IS a OCD clone (and my ears seem to confirm it, 100%), why did they give an editor's award to the Fulltone pedal sayng that it had great tone and a good dynamic too with the volume knob?! :D!!!
It makes me laugh, but I'm a bit worried about the real value of these tests and reviews.
You must realise - these reviews are worthless. They are just like the reviews in Hi-Fi magazines. They'll rave about equipment made by companies that advertise in the magazine. Everything else will be rubbished.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

domdec314
Information

Post by domdec314 »

I just bought a used Cool Cat Drive that sounds very harsh compared to the demos I've heard. I've compared it against the last schematic and noticed my pedal has a B100K tone pot instead of an A25K. Is it possible that could mess up the tone?

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

I don't think so ... But maybe someone who knows more will chime in.
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011