Koda - KD-22 Chorus  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Duke Lion
Information

Post by Duke Lion »

I pretty much got this pedal for free. I was told it was bought in Poland, and I think it was made there too. I haven't played around with it very much, but I think it sounds pretty decent..
I assume it's a clone of something. It has the same IC's as the boss ce-3 (according to a schematic I found on the web) but it isn't stereo.. I'm quite retarded when it comes to reading schematics :oops:

Anyway, here are the gut shots:

Higher res:
http://i33.tinypic.com/2mc62ps.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/i6cb3a.jpg

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Cool, thanks!

Could you give more info concerning the transistors and caps? And some other info on the -switching?- board?

Could be - more probably? - a CE-2 clone, but wonder what the second trimpot is for though...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

I can't help you with this, but I have a lot of Koda effects and some of them are very good: Dynamic Filter, Octaver, Attack Equalizer,...
The dirt pedals are very noisy and the battery doors and switches can break.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/koda/kd

Exar bought Koda when they stopped (in 200x?), but I think they're just selling the stock, not producing any pedals (certainly no new models).
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

lolbou wrote:Cool, thanks!

Could you give more info concerning the transistors and caps? And some other info on the -switching?- board?
Yeah that would be nice. Maybe it would be good to mark values on the photo, like I did with the old KOD Compressor from 80's.
look here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7504
DiscoFreq wrote:I can't help you with this, but I have a lot of Koda effects and some of them are very good: Dynamic Filter, Octaver, Attack Equalizer,...
If you could take gut shots of pedals what you have, it could be redrawn and traced. :D

Must say this chorus is very neat in comparison with the compressor I posted. Better production line I guess.
:thumbsup

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

The built quality didn't change much between the Kod pedals and the Koda pedals, it really depends on the model.

I have all KOD NG pedals (most of them several times) except the Kod NG-15 Over Drive Turbo (both Turbo pedals seem to be rare):
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/kod/ng

There's also an earlier series (without the Kod name on the housing):
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/kod/first

And I think there's a link with PUE (also an Attack Equalizer and same housing for the wah pedals):
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/pue
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

DiscoFreq wrote:The built quality didn't change much between the Kod pedals and the Koda pedals, it really depends on the model.
Yeah. That's for sure. I've seen some components inside that reminded me like they were made in USSR in 80's and crappy quality elco's for sure. But I kinda miss them since they were "cheap" and much more present at the beginning of 90's.
I think some of them could be modded with better components or rebuild.
I'm eager to find much as I can information on them (pure nostalgia) so if it's possible to take shots inside them I could redraw the pcb's easily. Cheers :wink:

Duke Lion
Information

Post by Duke Lion »

Thanks for the info DiscoFreq. Nice site you have there btw, I've been there a few times before.
I didn't think there'd be any interest in this pedal, but I guess I was wrong :)

Here are some values:
I don't know much about electronics, so if I've made any mistakes I wouldn't be able to tell. If something looks wrong just tell me, and I'll check again.

Here's the solder side of the small board:
High res:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2vt2maw.jpg

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Cool Duke! :applause:

The standing trimpot on the left misses though... :horsey:

Are the diodes markings impossible to see? :block:
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I think I have a koda's flanger in my uncle basement :) It was there few years ago, It's good time to see him finaly, so I'll take the fucker, will open it and take few nice shoots for you guys :) Its broken BTW

When I start playing aprox 20 years ago, this flanger + dynamic wah (mad professor's snow white wah workalike, I was to lame to use it correctly) and metal master (or something) was my first units :)

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Good job Duke. :applause:
Well..fellows I see you are interested in this one so am I. :lol:
I believe the first photo would be good enough to redraw pcb.

Duke Lion
Information

Post by Duke Lion »

I really don't know if this is right:

The trimpot says 224 on the screw, and 92 on the top. What does that mean?

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

himister wrote:I believe the first photo would be good enough to redraw pcb.
Yes indeed! :horsey:
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

lolbou wrote:
himister wrote:I believe the first photo would be good enough to redraw pcb.
Yes indeed! :horsey:
One KOD layout done...viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7504&p=78856#p78856
Many more to go. Hope that would be satisfactory. Spam not intended. Apologies.

:wink:

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Done. :wink:
It would be good to work out the true bypass. :horsey:
KD-22-1.GIF
KD-22-2.GIF
KD-22-3.GIF

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Good lord! You're fast! May I ask what software you use? (and how can green traces be used for classic UV stuff?)

Anyway, it's cool... Why caring about the switching board? If you true bypass it, you don't need it (maybe the "power" part of it (and input buffer?) can be incorporated on the main board?)...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

lolbou wrote:Good lord! You're fast! May I ask what software you use? (and how can green traces be used for classic UV stuff?)

Anyway, it's cool... Why caring about the switching board? If you true bypass it, you don't need it (maybe the "power" part of it (and input buffer?) can be incorporated on the main board?)...
Thanks Laurent. :wink:
I have a gremlin :twisted: in my but that itches me until I finish it. Easily done when do redrawing. Sprint Layout 5 is the software.
No need for UV stuff, just flip the photo and insert in scanned copy option and draw, draw, draw until head starts bumping the table. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you need any help with SL5 or how to obtain it...let me know. :secret:

I'll do the smaller board later, maybe not this evening but I hope tomorrow will be finished. I guess one is enough for one day.
Merging boards would be nice but maybe had to redesign the whole thing and I have a lazy spirit too. :slap:
I'll consider it.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

himister wrote:I have a gremlin :twisted: in my but that itches me until I finish it. Easily done when do redrawing. Sprint Layout 5 is the software.
I'm good at redrawing too (with inkscape) but I don't have any Gremlin... But my wife does actually since we're expecting a little boy in 4 weeks... :lol:
himister wrote:No need for UV stuff, just flip the photo and insert in scanned copy option and draw, draw, draw until head starts bumping the table.
No no, I was thinking of ultraviolet light to make PCBs... I use a B&W transfer to expose my epoxy, and a green one would suck... :? That's why my question...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

lolbou wrote: I'm good at redrawing too (with inkscape) but I don't have any Gremlin... But my wife does actually since we're expecting a little boy in 4 weeks... :lol:

No no, I was thinking of ultraviolet light to make PCBs... I use a B&W transfer to expose my epoxy, and a green one would suck... :? That's why my question...
Wow dad. :applause: Congratulations!!! All the best wishes for the small freestomper. :thumbsup

Sorry. My bad. These are just layouts, I have a habit to post layouts first just in case if anyone would check first and find an errors.
I export them into pdf so printing is easy in high resolution. Personally. I have a friend who makes these on the film for me then I go for transfer and Positiv 20 photo copying lacquer. I assume you use the same. :wink:
Here is unchecked. Let me know if there are any errors.
KD-22PCB.pdf
(22.46 KiB) Downloaded 252 times

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Great PCB as always.......thanks himister,and congratulations for lolbou..... :thumbsup

boris

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Yeah...thanks Boris.

Small switch-power board almost finished but....It would be nice if I new the wire connections between boards so I could mark them properly.
So Duke Lioneye, could you help a bit here. Thanks. :thumbsup