TC Tube Pilot Dry/Mix Mod

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
ccampiglia
Information

Post by ccampiglia »

I all, I already introduce myself, But just in case i'm a Bass player so I've done some minor mods to achieve better tone and get more bass frequencies to some of my stompboxes. But my knowledge about circuits and electronics is very limited so for necessity I had to learn how to weld and do basic mods.

I recently scored a brand new TC Tube Pilot at GC and I immediately fell in love with the fuzzy sound with a guitar bass. Now the problem is that it sucks all the low end and makes it useless for live set ups. :cry: Did some search but it seems that nobody had came up with a mod DIY yet. So I want to give it a try and create a step by step dry Mix mod to make it accessible to other bass players like me. It's a cheap tube pedal, so why not.

Somebody mention in other site about a single looper with a blend control mod. But not sure how to achieve this. If anybody feels like point me in to the right direction that would be great.

I have a boss SD-1 broken to use it as donor for parts a like potenciometers and also some Orange drops capacitors left over from a Bass restoration I did. So hopefully I can make this happen and keep it on budget. :hmmm:

:D

Ccamp.

@mickeybellinello

ccampiglia
Information

Post by ccampiglia »

The first Idea or try will be just to hook up a Potentiometer like this.
1-Dry
2-Out
3-Wet
And see what is the result. I hope it works. :hmmm:

If that does not work. i'll maybe try with a blender circuit I just found on the web.
i'm attaching a picture of it.
Attachments
Blender Diagram
Blender Diagram

ccampiglia
Information

Post by ccampiglia »

I finally opened the box to see the Board and it's component. And despite does not seem easy, does not look impossible neater.
So this is what think is how it's wired the True Bypass. Not sure how hook up the Potentiometer, but i'll keep figuring out.
:horsey:
Attachments
Diagram.jpg

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

I get the impression that you are fairly new to this?
If so, then be aware that these type of PCBs use very tiny tracks and pads and even experienced folks can easy destroy the traces while trying to modify/swap parts rendering it all land fill. [smilie=pope.gif]
Frankly you would be better served to build the mix circuit in a seperate unit.
start with the blemd circuit you posted and if that does not work out then I'm sure many folks here can give you good advice on how to do that.
Phil.

ccampiglia
Information

Post by ccampiglia »

phatt wrote:I get the impression that you are fairly new to this?
If so, then be aware that these type of PCBs use very tiny tracks and pads and even experienced folks can easy destroy the traces while trying to modify/swap parts rendering it all land fill. [smilie=pope.gif]
Frankly you would be better served to build the mix circuit in a seperate unit.
start with the blemd circuit you posted and if that does not work out then I'm sure many folks here can give you good advice on how to do that.
Phil.
Hi Phil.

Thank you for your input. I'm indeed very rookie at this.
I did notice the micro components and the tiny tracks. But I had the fake illusion that I was going to be able to tamper maybe with a pot form the jacks and just re feed a clean signal and call it or maybe from the end pins of the bypass switch. But it seems that it wont work...
I will be ordering the Blender kit... I found a place in UK , but if somebody knows a good place here, please let me know.

Best.

idy
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: FFs, Octavias, TBMKIIIs, Buzzarounds/alikes, Axis Fuzz', CS Overdriver, BMPs, Black '65s, MOSFETODs, WiiO, RAH, Klons, AC30, DLS, TSs and many variants, Small Clones, UniVibes, E. Mistress, Mutron Env Filter, Ross/Dynacomps,, EA Trems, TremLunes, Katana Boosters, BYOC Tri Boosters, other boosters and buffers, PT2399 delays, SKRM based delays, Belton Brick Reverbs, 3band parametric EQ,

Post by idy »

Spltter/Blender is one very useful thing you will find many uses for. You can find them on the strip board layout sites. The simple one shown above should do the trick. Some have two "send/return" loops so you can also pan between two effects.

ccampiglia
Information

Post by ccampiglia »

idy wrote:Spltter/Blender is one very useful thing you will find many uses for. You can find them on the strip board layout sites. The simple one shown above should do the trick. Some have two "send/return" loops so you can also pan between two effects.

Thank you a lot i'll take a look. :applause: