EHX Worm - taming the noise

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
LightsOut
Information

Post by LightsOut »

I am wondering if anyone has modded their big box EH The Worm to be less noisy.
Coul it just be swapping some components for others with different values or is there a simple circuit that can be added to the end of any circuit to filter out the noise.

Best regards

Snorri

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

first up - change the 12vAC power supply for a higher voltage - anywhere up to 16vAC :wink:
you may need to change the input filter capacitor for a higher voltage type too :!:
Now the internal 12 volt regulator will actually work :lol:
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

LightsOut
Information

Post by LightsOut »

I have the older version which actually runs on 24v DC so what should I do?

cameronspg
Information

Post by cameronspg »

Hi, not sure if you've solved this problem already, but I have the big box 24volt worm, and it was really noisy until I changed the power supply to one that was about 13volts. The noise is way better now.

AuditoryDriving
Information

Post by AuditoryDriving »

Ahoy gals and guys,

As you might have realised, the EHX Worm is quite a sweet pedal. Although there has supposedly been some major improvements noise-wise from the big box version, the XO remains one of the most noisy pedals i ve encountered. As the noise is internally-generated, I try to boost the signal before it hits the worm (the noise level is irrelevant of the input signal level). Has anybody managed to tame the noise in the xo version? I am of course using the original ehx power supply. Given the nature of the noise (independent of signal level), which parts of the circuit would you suspect first? Maybe the regulator?

The good news is that because of this input signal and noise level independecy, there might actually be a solution which eliminates the noise without affecting the guitar signal. On the other hand, if it was something simple, EHX would have already done it...

Quite a challenge i d say.

Thanks in advance for any ideas :) :)

AuditoryDriving
Information

(All apologies for initially posting in the wrong sub-forum : :)

One more hint, the noise level is different for each of the 4 effects, with the tremolo being the noisiest .I guess that contradicts what my initial guess that the regulation circuit might be the no. 1 suspect, but of course it does not exclude it. So I am thinking now that there are three points to look : 1. The regulation 2. Something that is common to all modes, and that would most probably be the LFO and the opamps, and 3. specific parts for the individual modes. I think the worm uses OTAS, so if the noise level correlates somehow with the number of OTA's that would be a good place to look.

Thanks again, really looking forward to some ideas :)

AuditoryDriving
Information

I should stick to more popular pedals from now on as it seems :)