GCB-95 Crybaby Wah Mods

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
phil esposito
Information

Post by phil esposito »

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a noob at this so I'm hoping some one can give me a quick answer. I've done the mod's as listed:

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

390 - 330
1.5K - 1.8K
33K - 47K
.01uF > .022uF

I haven't performed the true bypass yet but plan to.

I'm getting some nice results. However, I'm still getting a sharp peak on the sweep from bass to trebles. Someone described it as the peak of the mountain be too high too quick which is a good anology.

I'm curious if that sharp peak is due to the original inductor being not so great? I'm going to socket the resistors and try to see if I can flatten it that way.

Thanks!!

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

Try raising the 1.8K more, to maybe 2ish kilo ohms.

Also, try reindexing the pot. That is, change which part of the taper it rotates through by physically moving the sweep a bit.

phil esposito
Information

Post by phil esposito »

azrael wrote:Try raising the 1.8K more, to maybe 2ish kilo ohms.

Also, try reindexing the pot. That is, change which part of the taper it rotates through by physically moving the sweep a bit.
Thanks for the reply! I'll try that this eve and give you an update.

I was doing some more digging...from what I can gather it is the 1.5k resistor, Q1 transistor, or a bad pot. Maybe I'll try to do a sound clip if the resistor change doesn't help.

alnico
Information

Post by alnico »

Put the 33K back if you want it less peaky?

phil esposito
Information

Post by phil esposito »

alnico wrote:Put the 33K back if you want it less peaky?
Thanks! I just read that....I think I'm going to put it back to see if that helps. It was peaky before I made the made changes so that tells me there is probably something more to this. :scratch:

D-Day
Mojo Book Buster
Information
my favorite amplifier: Soldano SLO 100
Completed builds: Bazzfuss, Fuzz Face, Fuzzface SG

Post by D-Day »

Don't know if you read this one but I figure it can't hurt to link it up: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... &hilit=gcb

phil esposito
Information

Post by phil esposito »

D-Day wrote:Don't know if you read this one but I figure it can't hurt to link it up: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... &hilit=gcb
Thanks! I've read that and now I'm thinking I might have to change the Q1 transistor...I'll have to see what I have in the parts bin for a sub. I know BC109 is the popular choice. Is there any alternates that people have used?

It seems most people bring the 33K resistor up in value and I'm having to go the other way...that makes me think I've got a different problem.

phil esposito
Information

Post by phil esposito »

OK....so i've done a few more things and it's helped.

Re-indexed the pot.
Added TB.
Socketed the components for easy change and ended up with:
Lowered 33K > 22K
Raised 1.5K> 2.7K

This seemed to flatten the spike....however it could be smoother!!!! :roll:

I measure the transistors and
Q1 = 460
Q2 = 580

This seems a little high...I'm thinking I'm going for the BC109's....and then of course...a new inductor.

What have I started???

Mark_McQ
Information

Post by Mark_McQ »

I put BC109's in mine recently. Made a huge difference. One of the few mods I've done that was immediately noticable. Made my fasels sound more 'full' too.
Got a vid here. Not the best quality, but gives a rough idea:

phil esposito
Information

Post by phil esposito »

Mark_McQ wrote:I put BC109's in mine recently. Made a huge difference. One of the few mods I've done that was immediately noticable. Made my fasels sound more 'full' too.
Got a vid here. Not the best quality, but gives a rough idea:

Wow, sounds great! Nice job!

I've gone the full meal deal so far. I put in a Whipple, new pot, LED, and trim pots. I've got some BC109's on order so we'll see how that looks when they arrived.

I had an idea for the cap change (100n - 220n). I'm building a rangemaster clone and borrowed the idea of the tone pot for the 2 input caps: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/inde ... pic=1165.0

I was thinking of doing the same for the cap on this...anybody try that move??

Satchmoeddie
Information
Completed builds: After 35 years of building, do we really have time for that?

Post by Satchmoeddie »

First I would try re-indexing the pt. This is done by taking the rack and loosening that strap that keeps it against the gear loose and turning the pot by hand so it does not go as far in the treble direction. My last mod used 4 inductors and lots cermets I can get to through small holes in the bass. I got a working regular crybaby for $15 with a bad on off foot switch. Since that and the buffer section get sacked straight away I had hit the jackpot. My other two are a really old European Clyde McCoy with the metal TO-18 housed transistors, and an old Thomas. Neither worked when I got them. The board in the Thomas is very brittle and tracks have come off everywhere. I used cat6 Oxygen free data cable to run between where the tracks came off. Wahs are pretty easy to work on. Maybe put a pot in place of the resistor in question and dial in what you like and buy what is close, or put the pot bushing through the side so you can adjust it. The mods for these are numerous, and endless.