SD-1 Background Noise

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
ct88
Information

Post by ct88 »

hey guys, i TrueBypassed a modded SD-1 to avoid bad buffers on bypass, but a problem came out: when i turn it on i obtain a lot of popping noise.

Any Suggest on how to solve that?

Thanks in advance :)

ct

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

ct88 wrote:hey guys, i TrueBypassed a modded SD-1 to avoid bad buffers on bypass, but a problem came out: when i turn it on i obtain a lot of popping noise.

ct

Try putting a "pull-down" resistor on the input on the circuit board, a good resistor value is anything from 1M to 4M7, hope that helps..... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

ct88
Information

Post by ct88 »

already done but nothing new on pop noise :\

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

ct88 wrote:hey guys, i TrueBypassed a modded SD-1 to avoid bad buffers on bypass, but a problem came out: when i turn it on i obtain a lot of popping noise.

ct
Put it back to how it was! The buffers neither add nor take away from the sound of the effect. They are actually beneficial in the bypass mode because they provide high input impedance and low output impedance, so they will drive long cables or other effects without losses.

I really can't understand the obsession people have with "true bypass" and "no buffers"....
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

ct88
Information

Post by ct88 »

i have better Buffers @the start and @the end of the chain :D i hate Boss buffers because the "eat" a bit of top-end :) thats why i truebypassed :)

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

add pulldown resistor on the output side... 10k will do.