Behringer FX100 (based over a coolaudio V1000)

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Nikifena
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Nikifena »

Some guts from me ;)
http://www.picvalley.net/u/273/68008_528.JPG
http://www.picvalley.net/u/273/68007_524.JPG

There are two tl064, V1000, CS5340, 4558, atmega8, and some little 10 pin IC that I can't be identify maked with 345C.
Attachments
68008_528.JPG
68007_524.JPG

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

thanks!

Never heard of coolaudio, what do we know about them?
moved to the Pimp-My-Cheapo folder, maybe we can make it shine?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Nikifena
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Nikifena »

Coolaudio is a new guys. They make BBD chips. At this time only coolaudio have BBD productions (chips for analog delay). Also they make this V1000 digital delay chip.
Check their site: http://www.coolaudio.com

At this time I was repair some behringer stuff and I see that they use offen coolaudio's IC's.

Also coolaudio makes a analog of a whell nown chips NJM2153, whitch is used in almost every BBE effect for sound enhancer.
Bajaman was make a "discrette" project like BBE enhancer.

good luck!

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

Hi,
I just opened my Behringer DD400 Digital Delay, and it has almost the same layout ! Same Atmel ATMEGA8 microcontroller with programming header, same CoolAudio V1000 DSP chip (i've found it's a copy of the Alesis AL3201 "Single Chip Reverb" http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 3201.shtml), same CS5340 audio DAC, same pair of TL064 ... It just misses one input jack.

It should then be possible to use different effects from the V1000 with several Behringer digital pedals, like chorus, phaser or reverb ... The best but harder way is to dump the code from the Atmel (if the code protect bits are not set :? ), reverse-engineer it, and reprogram with modifications. The quick and dirty way is to use the internal programs of the V1000, it requires lifting pin2 (internal mode when not connected to ground) and then choosing one of 16 ROM programs with 4 other pins. Some DIP-switches and voilà ! More cheap sounds for the price of one cheap pedal !

Indeed, you can see on the first picture of the original post that the PCB is common to the multi-FX FX100 and the digital reverb DR100, i guess the only difference is the program on the Atmel.
I only give negative feedback.

dellamorte
Information
my favorite amplifier: ceriatone creme brulee & mesa dc5

Post by dellamorte »

The best but harder way is to dump the code from the Atmel (if the code protect bits are not set ), reverse-engineer it, and reprogram with modifications. The quick and dirty way is to use the internal programs of the V1000, it requires lifting pin2 (internal mode when not connected to ground) and then choosing one of 16 ROM programs with 4 other pins. Some DIP-switches and voilà ! More cheap sounds for the price of one cheap pedal !

Indeed, you can see on the first picture of the original post that the PCB is common to the multi-FX FX100 and the digital reverb DR100, i guess the only difference is the program on the Atmel.
after finding out that behringer clones boss pedals(reverbs ) using the v1000 chip and an atmel i ordered a v1000 from mammoth electronics hoping to diy a similar setup.
i have all the data sheets to make a board for the v1000 but have no coding experience other than java that i dont remember :) im hoping to impliment a modulated reverb ala the boss rv-5 and a pitch shifted reverb(shimmer). can anyone point me to resourses on coding ect, and on what the atmel is actually controlling ?
Signature:
Built = SHO , DOD 250, Atari punk console,Fuzz Factory,Easy Vibe,Burning Crunch,Vm fuzz (2n5088+bmp tonestack),
Wah Probe,Dr.boogie,wolly mammoth
Up Next =
Eventually = Firefly, rackmount L5 preamp

http://dellamorte.gofreeserve.com

fws
Information

Post by fws »

Most of people most likely already know that, but since topic is up again, to fill some informations, Cool Audio is actualy brand owned by Behringer. It means that Behringer actualy produces their own 3205 BBDs, DSPs, 4558 opamps and other parts.

They really are getting bigger and bigger, Cool Audio, Bugera, they even got some speaker designs from Jensen.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

I had no idea that coolaudio was owned by behringer. They kept that quiet.

I bet they get a kick about pretty much the whole industry relying on them for BBDs. Wonder if they could gouge more money by refusing to sell them and making a high-end line of analogue delays? ;)
Testing, testing, won too fwee

ingestado
Information

Post by ingestado »

Hello,
one question please, does anybody know an European distributor of the coolaudio V1000. Other thing. As I have investigated is the most easy-to-use chip for multi-effects, I mean, easier than the ATSAM series, isn't it?
Thank you in advance,
ingestado

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Proco Rat
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Hot Harmonics
Crackle Not OK

Post by JiM »

ingestado wrote:does anybody know an European distributor of the coolaudio V1000. Other thing. As I have investigated is the most easy-to-use chip for multi-effects, I mean, easier than the ATSAM series, isn't it?
I've never heard of a CoolAudio distributor ... but that does not mean there aren't any.

You may find the original Alesis AL3201 chip more easily in small quantities.
Here is a source i've found after a quick search : http://www.pcm63.com/?225,al3201 There should be others.

If you're desperate, go salvage a second-hand Behringer product. :roll:

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

JiM wrote:
ingestado wrote:does anybody know an European distributor of the coolaudio V1000. Other thing. As I have investigated is the most easy-to-use chip for multi-effects, I mean, easier than the ATSAM series, isn't it?
I've never heard of a CoolAudio distributor ... but that does not mean there aren't any.

You may find the original Alesis AL3201 chip more easily in small quantities.
Here is a source i've found after a quick search : http://www.pcm63.com/?225,al3201 There should be others.

If you're desperate, go salvage a second-hand Behringer product. :roll:

Looked at the site - "DIY KIT's" - really????? DIY KITS

ctg
Information

Post by ctg »

FYI, we now supply the Coolaudio V1000 and several other Coolaudio devices in single- and small-quantities. We ship worldwide from the US:

http://www.cabintechglobal.com

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Proco Rat
Hot Harmonics
Crackle Not OK

Post by JiM »

JiM wrote: 17 Mar 2008, 21:53 It should then be possible to use different effects from the V1000 with several Behringer digital pedals, like chorus, phaser or reverb [...] The quick and dirty way is to use the internal programs of the V1000, it requires lifting pin2 (internal mode when not connected to ground) and then choosing one of 16 ROM programs with 4 other pins. Some DIP-switches and voilà ! More cheap sounds for the price of one cheap pedal !
I've finally done exactly that, and it works fine !
The first three DIP switches, when open, lift the two I²C lines and puts the V1000 in internal program.
The last four set the internal program, as specified on page 4 of the datasheet : https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download ... ASHEET.pdf
Of course there are no parameter available, as all the pots are managed by the MCU. It is therefore best used in a parallel effects loop or the aux of a mixer.

I've used thin wire (meant for wire-wrapping), and as the pitch of this SMD chip is not super-fine it's still workable, including lifting pins. Still, I had some hard time to get the solder to stick to the pads after removing the series resistors of the I²C lines. Drilling and filing the case to exactly fit the DIP switches, and hot-glue it in place was the most challenging part. :roll:
Attachments
15f896bf-aa88-49e4-835a-85f8dc14cf21.png
fb4dee11-7a10-4aae-a5f0-2104929cbcad.png