Improving Signalflex ABY box ?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
wyattt
Information

Post by wyattt »

I've been really interested in trying my hand at building a pedal. I just wasn't sure where to start. I figure this may be a good place since it's not a new build but modifying an existing one. I have this old Signalflex ABY pedal that is noisy as all get out, has some signal loss, and only runs on 9v battery. I'd like to add a connector for it to run off an external supply, and clean up it's sound so that it functions the way I want it to. I'm going to use it on my AC30cc2x to toggle between the Top Boost and Normal channel, or use both.

Can anyone point me in the direction of types of things I can do to clean this pedal up? Do I need to try and find a schematic of this pedal, or would taking a pic of its guts be of just as much help? I have soldering experience, as well as experience in car audio/remote start/accessories, as well as audio/visual stuff, but not in this area. OR, would it be easier just to start from scratch and build one from parts at Radio Shack, etc..?