How to improve a buffer on Boss CS-3?

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
cicimici
Information

Post by cicimici »

I am a noob for electronics to start with. I have a CS3 with MA Ultra plus mod on a way.
I really like the base sound of my stock CS3 and feel that this Ultra plus mod will deliver great compression.
Still I miss a slightly better buffer (clearer bass and presence) on CS3 and I just found the Ultra plus mod doesn't cover a buffer mod.
I want to use CS3 as my buffer instead of T1M buffer which is on my board at the moment, so TB is not an option.
Please help me modding CS3 buffer. Which parts to swap?
Thanks!

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Um? not sure but I think you will find they already have a buffer. :thumbsup
Phil.

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

cicimici wrote:I am a noob for electronics to start with. I have a CS3 with MA Ultra plus mod on a way.
I really like the base sound of my stock CS3 and feel that this Ultra plus mod will deliver great compression.
Still I miss a slightly better buffer (clearer bass and presence) on CS3 and I just found the Ultra plus mod doesn't cover a buffer mod.
I want to use CS3 as my buffer instead of T1M buffer which is on my board at the moment, so TB is not an option.
Please help me modding CS3 buffer. Which parts to swap?
Thanks!
huh? :scratch: boss pedals are buffered to keep it stock don't change

r1, c2, IC1, d2, d3, r3, c14, r25, q5, c15, r26, r27, q1, r29, c17, r31, r30

cicimici
Information

Post by cicimici »

Thanks guys and sorry if I am asking stupid question. I wish to have a slightly better sound when cs3 is in bypass. I saw the guts of mine T1M buffer and it is a circuit of few resistors and a capacitor. Mine idea is to replace buffer elements of the CS3 circuit with more quality parts, as I think those stock parts are not of the best quality. Does this make any sense? Thanks!

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

I don't know what your "mod" is changing in the cs-3. Some people like to change the electrolytic
caps in the signal path with box film caps or a better grade electrolytic cap. I've used box
1uf caps and Panasonic FC series electrolytics in builds myself. C14 and C17 would be a place
to start.

cicimici
Information

Post by cicimici »

So c14 and c17 are parts of the buffer - active in bypass mode? Tnx

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Or just go purchase the mod kit?
http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html
I have no idea how good these are as I've never bothered with them.
Phil.

cicimici
Information

Post by cicimici »

Yes, I already purchased Monte's mod - the Ultra Plus mod and it's in the mail.
The thing is, his mod doesn't affect bypassed signal, which is my wish to improve too.
Thanks!

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

To the best of my understanding the chips in the *Bypass* are replaced with this mod so it may or may not improve the situation.

Frankly I doubt any massive improvement will be heard. What you may not have realized is that the signal will lack life when bypassed.
Whether that bypass is done by True ByPass or not There can/Will be a big difference in sonic signature depending how the knobs are set.

That is the whole point of the pedal,, to make a difference. If that where not so then they would not sell many pedals :slap:

Phil.

cicimici
Information

Post by cicimici »

Sorry Phil, I don't get it.
There are some pedals that have good and bad buffers. Many people say Visual sound pedals have a great buffer. Also many say MXR makes some pedals with horrible buffers. When I say a good or bad buffer, I mean how my guitar signal sounds and feels going through the pedal FX off (bypassed).
Boss CS3 has a pretty good buffer - it leaves a good bypass sound. I have 9 true bypass pedals in the chain so I need some kind of buffer to retain the tone. For this application I would like to use my CS3 instead of my T1B standalone buffer, because of the advantage of having a compressor effect on tap also. I am just looking how to improve the quality of the bypass signal of my CS3..

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

cicimici wrote:Sorry Phil, I don't get it.
There are some pedals that have good and bad buffers. Many people say Visual sound pedals have a great buffer. Also many say MXR makes some pedals with horrible buffers. When I say a good or bad buffer, I mean how my guitar signal sounds and feels going through the pedal FX off (bypassed).
Boss CS3 has a pretty good buffer - it leaves a good bypass sound. I have 9 true bypass pedals in the chain so I need some kind of buffer to retain the tone. For this application I would like to use my CS3 instead of my T1B standalone buffer, because of the advantage of having a compressor effect on tap also. I am just looking how to improve the quality of the bypass signal of my CS3..
There's nothing wrong with the buffer as it comes out of the Boss factory. However, the bypass switching (using FETs) is less than ideal - you'd hear a slight difference if you replaced the FETs with real switch contacts (or relay contacts). Changing transistors, capacitors, FETs and capacitors will have no audible effect whatsoever
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

Ahh the old sound of capacitors argument again..... Some say no some say yes...