crybaby only "wahs" for about 2/3 of pedal travel

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
drummer4gc
Information

Post by drummer4gc »

Hey everyone,

i picked up a cheap crybaby on craigslist and did the mods from this website: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/557

they definitely made the wah sound a bit "sharper", which i like. However, they didn't fix a problem that existed before the mods: with my heel down, i can start pressing the wah and don't hear a change in sound until about 1/3 or 1/2 of the way through the sweep of the pedal. Then, the wah effect occurs very suddenly.

i imagine this has to do with a bad potentiometer, or one with an incorrect taper. i plan on replacing it unless someone has any other ideas. do any of the resistor mods affect this? and are there any worthwhile pots that don't cost $20?

thanks!

iffy50
Information

Post by iffy50 »

Hi,

I'd start by checking if the pot is in the right place. The wah effect only works on a small amount of the pot's travel, so you may need to twist it back or forwards a bit to get it to the point that you like.

This explains it a bit better:

Cheers,
Ian

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

iffy50 wrote:Hi,

I'd start by checking if the pot is in the right place. The wah effect only works on a small amount of the pot's travel, so you may need to twist it back or forwards a bit to get it to the point that you like.

This explains it a bit better:

Cheers,
Ian
I second that. The circuit works on the pot's entire travel, but I wouldn't say it sounds pleasing. My bet is that the pot is set in the wrong position as iffy50 stated. Start there and report back.

drummer4gc
Information

Post by drummer4gc »

done. that definitely helps, although with my toe down now, it goes to the very end of the pot's travel. doesn't really matter though. my issue now is that it sounds really nice clean, but when i crank my amp (modded epi valve junior) to get some power tube distortion, it doesnt sound good. it basically makes the effect sound very minimal, except for that sweet spot in the middle where it quacks real quick and not terribly pleasantly. its like the effect doesnt cut through during the rest of the pedal's travel.

I've heard that increasing the midrange resistor further might help. thoughts?

drummer4gc
Information

Post by drummer4gc »

another thought, just so nobody else has a chance to say it first...i might just not be very good at using a wah. i'll practice.