Proel PCS-1 Wah

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
stephenxvp
Information

Post by stephenxvp »

Anyone seen one of these?
Bandmate has one;
Is it worth persisting or pimping with?
Doesn't have an inductor and has only one transistor
Plastic Shell as well
Thanks
Stephen

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

stephenxvp wrote:Anyone seen one of these?
Bandmate has one;
Is it worth persisting or pimping with?
Doesn't have an inductor and has only one transistor
Plastic Shell as well
Thanks
Stephen
Well, my only criterion is: has to have a metal case. I have a 70s Schaller here that's in plastic too, and it's just plain crap, considering the fact that I bought sturdy metal wahs by Stagg, Collins besides Dunlop for about 25-35EUR. Collins even has a DPDT that it uses for a led ( :slap: as a wah is in 90% a pedal you don't engage fulltime during a gig, a wah has to be true bypass imho). True bypass in these pedals only cost you the electricity to heat up your iron.

But interested in all cheap wah gut shots, if you have them.
modman
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

stephenxvp
Information

Post by stephenxvp »

No sorry can't do gut shots, I've given it back.
Suggested he buy a cheap Cry Baby so I can do all the mods on that one too.

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Hi Modman,

thanks for pointing out the Collins wah. I think I will have to get one for that price. Can you say something about the inductor? (I will just assume it probably looks like a Crybaby or something similar...) I would replace the PCB anyway, but being able to use the inductor would be nice.

Thanks, Volker

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

hallo.......
pot was on PCB...50K (I think)

condensator....100mF/63v
bc547B
Attachments
scan0003.jpg
scan0003.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
scan0004.jpg
scan0004.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 2356 times
scan0005.jpg
scan0005.jpg (2.13 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

:hmmm: Don´t you think that the resolution could be a bit too small that somebody could be able to recognize component values ? :roll:

BTW, considering that it uses the same "technology" as the Bespeco Weeper and the Colorsound inductorless Wah it is a bargain compared to the price of the Zvex Seek Wah when you use the pcb as a start for a clone of the last who use also the same circuit. :wink: :lol:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

/edit: Ahem... never mind :lol:

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

sorry sorry sorry.......
Attachments
proelWAH.JPG

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Isn´t that funny, how the people clone from each other ?

Colorsound was the first with such a wah and they had a 2n2 across the 100k at the output with a 47k to ground:
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schem ... Wah-RI.gif

Then came Bespeco and put there a (useless) 22p instead (with a 47k to ground):
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schem ... Weeper.gif

Proel used the same (wrong) 22p but without the 47k to ground - so it is absoluely useless.....

and Mr. Zvex used there in the Seek-Wah a 2n2 but (if the values are correct) a 470k to ground - where also the function of this capacitor is reduced.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Hanglow
Information

Post by Hanglow »

I have a "Nevada" Weeper/Volume pedal that's exactly the same as the bespeco. It was the worst wah I have ever used. As it had a dual pot, I used it for a parapedal clone - Used RG's smallest layout on GEOFEX as a guide on perfboard and it fitted perfectly. So if you see one for £15 or so they are worth picking up just for that :mrgreen:

stephenxvp
Information

Post by stephenxvp »

So if I retrieve my mates Proel and replace the 22p with 2n2 and add a 47k to ground after the 100k resistor to output it should be worth playing? Thanks so much for the replies and interest.
I've been telling him to sell it and get a Cry Baby so I can mod that one as well

Hanglow
Information

Post by Hanglow »

Hi stephen, after posting ^^ I realised I still had the pcb for the nevada, which has exactly the same parts as the bespeco, so I replaced most of the parts according to the colorsound schem last night and put in a LDR/Resistor combo in place of the pot. It sounds far superior to what it used to be and I will be making it permanent in a box.

You will probably also want to change the 4n7caps as well. Also, if you replace the 68k with a 100k trimmer you can get a Q control.

fuzzbuzzfuzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzbuzzfuzz »

Interesting thread. Inspiring enough to take apart my Bespeco Weeper and contemplate reverse-engineering it back to Colorsound specs.

Can anyone advise as to which components could be changed (and where they are?) on the Bespeco Weepers PCB (which as you can see is different in layout and in resistor values etc)

http://fuzzbuzzfuzz.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -guts.html

That would be very very handy :applause:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I just scored a Proel WH-1 pedal from a friend of my brother, had to do some service work on it to fix up some PCB tracks going to the pot, and solder a new 9V battery clip, just tried it out and the effect it produces is a bit subtle and sounds more like Phasing rather than Wah-ing, just wondering if the WH-1 schematic is the same as the PCS-1 because I'm wondering if I can make my WH-1 sound better?..... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.