Boss - SD-1 Timmy, Landgraff, CJOD, BBOD, BMOD

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
new_anuzzerone
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Brunetti Maranello
Completed builds: Boss DS-1 Keeley, TS-5 - 808 conversion, BB, BD-2

Post by new_anuzzerone »

I found a cheap SD1 today. There´s a 4558DD inside, which is considered to be the high-gain version of the 4558 op-amps.

Do you leave it untouched or do you change it to a different one? I got to order some stuff, so I would order some different op-amps alltogether...

what about the OPA.... / burr-brown? Recommended to stick inside this pedal or not?

tia, regards

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

new_anuzzerone wrote:I found a cheap SD1 today. There´s a 4558DD inside, which is considered to be the high-gain version of the 4558 op-amps.
Errr.... No. The "DD" version is just a slightly better spec than the basic "D" - slightly lower noise and wider temperature range.

The 4558 (in all its' versions) is an excellent op-amp for the clipping part of a pedal since it recovers nicely from overload. The ONLY reasons it was chosen for the Tubescreamers and similar pedals is that it was bipolar (so recovered from overdrive well and didn't lock up if the output hit the rails) and most of all because it was the CHEAPEST DUAL OP-AMP AVAILABLE!!! There's no "magic" or "mojo" about it - almost any bipolar dual will work well (try the LM833 for lower noise or the NE5532 for more harmonics)!

I used to buy 4558s in Japan for (roughly) $0.018 each (500 off price). Yes, really - under 2¢ each!!! If I could justify buying more (5000+) I could get them for $0.008 each. The transistors in the Tubescreamers often cost more (2SC1815Y was $0.022 at 1000 off, 2SK30A was $0.019 at 1000 off). The most expensive parts of those things were the housings, control knobs and the jack sockets. The PCB cost (roughly) $0.45 fully populated and tested. The hardware was almost $1.22!

Word of warning: Please don't get ripped off by people selling NOS op-amps at silly prices. If you don't believe me, build two quick Screamer boards with identical components apart from the op-amps. Try a NOS one if you must. Try some of the Philips and National ones. The only differences you'll possibly hear are in the noise and the treble content. Remember - the gain of the circuit is determined by the resistor ratios around the op-amps - not by the ICs themselves!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

kareemk
Information

Post by kareemk »

i replaced the stock DD in my cheap pedal with a D and i must say it sounds better now.. (with some capacitor changes)

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

kareemk wrote:i replaced the stock DD in my cheap pedal with a D and i must say it sounds better now.. (with some capacitor changes)
The capacitor changes will make the difference (you will have changed the frequency response). Changing the IC from a "DD" to a "D" will make no audible change whatsoever, except slightly increase the noise.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

kareemk
Information

Post by kareemk »

i did the changes as two stages... opamp change was done independently and i'm pretty sure it changed something. (before it i only used the pedal at max drive, now i get decent levels of dirt at all other stages of the drive knob)

new_anuzzerone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by new_anuzzerone »

thx for the answers.

@mictester: I´m a non-believer to all this mojo crap. After all, I´ve changed some ds and dds an l702s aso. and I never heard a change in sounds. I heard some major differences in changing all the caps in a TS-5 to same values but using panasonic smf caps. The sound was definetly better, imho.

I´ve jut read in the original post, that there were some recommended chips. Sorry....reading with your eyes open is a major advantage :blackeye

For me it´s like any rumour: you got to have something to believe in.

thx for your hints

new_anuzzerone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by new_anuzzerone »

Recieved my SD-1 yesterday and converted it to your LPE specs.
D3 - 1n4001- remove and jumper (it's said removing this makes the pedal sound fuller)
D3 was already jumpered in my pedal, as well as R41 - you mentioned it!

I put a JRC072D inside and it sounds really great! Gonna try the other ICs as well.

THX for your posting! :applause:

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

I still don´t understand, why anybody mods a SD-1 to LPE specs - it´s some work to do on a very cheap pcb.
And as long as you don´t remove the buffers and the electronic switching, you won´t end up with a LPE.

Building an Eternity from scratch on veroboard costs far less than 15€ and doesn´t take more time than the mod...
Those, who don´t want to do all the drilling etc. could use the enclosure of an old pedal - maybe that´s the cheapest solution, too.

new_anuzzerone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by new_anuzzerone »

Does there exist any plan bout the eternity? Has it been posted here?

For me, it´s much easier to mod an existing pedal, than building one from scratch....maybe someday, I´ll get to build one,....maybe :)

If you got a link, where I can find the plans, plz let me know, drop me a pm,...what else...

tia, regards

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

use the search function... :roll:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... l+eternity

And have a look at the gallery at diystompboxes.com, for some more veroboardlayouts.

Everything else you need to know to build a pedal from scratch is:
a) external wiring - search for the file "offboard wiring" at tonepad.com, amongst the FX projects
b) drilling the enclosure, painting etc

new_anuzzerone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by new_anuzzerone »

"search function"? what´s that? :slap: *d´oh*

anyway, thx! :D

Silvestre
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sinmarc 50 Watt
Completed builds: 0.- A/B/Y box - signal splitter - looper
1.- Jim Dunlop Crybaby GCB95 Wah-wah, true-bypass & six position sweep-cap switcher
2.- Boss Blues Driver BD-2 Robert Keeley's PHAT Mod.
3.- Boss Fuzz Fz-3 Nic-o-sonic's Mod.
4.- Boss Super Overdrive SD-1 "Clay Jones-like" Mod
5.- Boss Super Overdrive SD-1 "Stacked IC's" Mod
6.- Univibe clone
7.- MXR D+ clone
8.- MXR D+ reparation

Post by Silvestre »

analogguru wrote:Don´t forget to change the tone-control. Since I don´t have the time to draw that up, here are the steps for the (non-mojo) basic Jones-mod:

1.) Remove R5 - R9, C2 - C6, D4 - D6, IC 1
2.) place a jumper wire instead of D5
3.) assemble a socket for IC1
4.) assemble R5 = 10k, R6 = 1k, R7 = 1k, R8 = 220 Ohm, R9 = 1k
5.) assemble C2 = 100n, C3 = 220n, C4 = 220n, C5 = 220n, C6 stays empty
6.) solder a 10k resistor in parallel to C4
7.) assemble the 2 red 5mm LED´s in D4 and D6
8.) take a chip of your choice (OPA2134) and plug it into the socket.

Now you have a (non-mojo) Jones-SD-1 and saved more than $1.450,--...

analogguru
Hello,

A few weeks ago was looking for diferences between the Boss SD1 and the TS808 circuitry to find which things to change to do a sort of conversion from the first to the second one.

And now, reading this post about what Clay Jones' Mod would be, i get the idea (i might be wrong, and would thank a lot any correction of my posible beginner mistakes) that this Clay Jones thing shares a few things with the TS808. So, in Clay Jones we would have:
  • R7, R8 & R9, and C4 & C5 changed from stock SD1, if not to fit the values of the TS808, fitting them any other way.
  • C6 removed the same as i would do to fit the SD1 to the schematic of TS808
Would you be so kind to tel me if i have missed anything?

What's your opinion about these similarities?

To my limited point of view, they (TS808 and Jones' Mod) are nearly the same with a softer clipping section, isn't it?... maybe an improved tone or bass response... i don't know

Another last thing, about managing the SD-1 bypass problem discused here:
Doing the modifications for the Clay Jones thing would diminished the SD1 bleed problem?

I think it won't do, but have no solid explanation for it... it's more intuition than anything else...

Could i try safely that idea of the FET (https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... d=4864&t=1) to improve the bypass on Clay Jones Mod? Would they be compatible mods?

Thank you in advance, and, please, be kind to excuse my english

Salud

Silvestre
Information
1.- Jim Dunlop Crybaby GCB95 Wah-wah, true-bypass & six position sweep-cap switcher
6.- Univibe clone
7.- MXR D+ clone
8.- MXR D+ reparation

Post by Silvestre »

Silvestre wrote:To my limited point of view, they (TS808 and Jones' Mod) are nearly the same with a softer clipping section, isn't it?... maybe an improved tone or bass response... i don't know
Maybe the input buffer remains like the SD1 in Jones' Mod

Here (https://img826.imageshack.us/img826/604 ... nesmod.jpg) i drew a color square around the pieces that i noticed that where not the same in SD1 and in TS808... blue is a change in components values, green is an added capacitor, and red is for removed components

Now i have added a yellow spot to show which components does the Clay Jones Mod seems to affect...

It still don't offer too much information on the question of whether it would sound similar to a TS808 or it would be still a SD1 sounding thing...

Maybe things are wrong from the start and there's no such a significative difference, i mean between SD1 and TS808

Silvestre
Information
6.- Univibe clone
7.- MXR D+ clone
8.- MXR D+ reparation

Post by Silvestre »

There was something already said about this:
Silvestre wrote:To my limited point of view, they (TS808 and Jones' Mod) are nearly the same with a softer clipping section, isn't it?... maybe an improved tone or bass response... i don't know
It's here [https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 842#p81876], and is something like what i proposed:
tjmicsak wrote:But I thought that the CJOD was pretty much a "clone" of the LOD, which in turn was a TS with better parts and the clipper mod.
The rest of the circuit looks almost identical
i hope I'll pick up more arguments anywhere in the forum... sorry for taking of something old... i only was trying to learn a bit

Silvestre
Information
6.- Univibe clone
7.- MXR D+ clone
8.- MXR D+ reparation

Post by Silvestre »

Silvestre wrote: Here (https://img826.imageshack.us/img826/604 ... nesmod.jpg) i drew a color square around the pieces that i noticed that where not the same in SD1 and in TS808... blue is a change in components values, green is an added capacitor, and red is for removed components
Please, don't try this... it keeps on refusing to work in my SD1

:evil:

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

Silvestre wrote:
Silvestre wrote: Here (https://img826.imageshack.us/img826/604 ... nesmod.jpg) i drew a color square around the pieces that i noticed that where not the same in SD1 and in TS808... blue is a change in components values, green is an added capacitor, and red is for removed components

You cannot remove R4 completely, change its value to 10K (if you must). Do not remove R5, change its value... D6 should be replaced with a jumper.

whiskeytown
Information

Post by whiskeytown »

i try SD-1 to TS808 mod, and really think that some values are to much for example changing C4 from 18nF to 220 nF gives to much mud to overall sound, pedal sounds so much darker, tone control responds only from 2 to 5 o clock, I believe its so much darker than any tube screamer, also changing some resistor values ruins natural attack of drive, make it sounds realy slacky and thin

Silvestre
Information
6.- Univibe clone
7.- MXR D+ clone
8.- MXR D+ reparation

Post by Silvestre »

WhiteKeyHole wrote:
Silvestre wrote:

You cannot remove R4 completely, change its value to 10K (if you must). Do not remove R5, change its value... D6 should be replaced with a jumper.

Hello, WhiteKeyHole,

Absolutely right... thank you so much... i had a jumper on each component removed place, but wasn't until i returned to the TS808 schematics that i realized the traces couldn't be just the same...

I ended doing a Clay Jones OD Mod that seems to sound better (some asked friends of mine, and my own humble opinions) than the Boss SD-1 directly from the box, testing the two pedals together (one new, and one after the mod... not necesary to have them both ON :roll: )

TDR1138
Information

Post by TDR1138 »

analogguru wrote:Don´t forget to change the tone-control. Since I don´t have the time to draw that up, here are the steps for the (non-mojo) basic Jones-mod:

1.) Remove R5 - R9, C2 - C6, D4 - D6, IC 1
2.) place a jumper wire instead of D5
3.) assemble a socket for IC1
4.) assemble R5 = 10k, R6 = 1k, R7 = 1k, R8 = 220 Ohm, R9 = 1k
5.) assemble C2 = 100n, C3 = 220n, C4 = 220n, C5 = 220n, C6 stays empty
6.) solder a 10k resistor in parallel to C4
7.) assemble the 2 red 5mm LED´s in D4 and D6
8.) take a chip of your choice (OPA2134) and plug it into the socket.

Now you have a (non-mojo) Jones-SD-1 and saved more than $1.450,--...

analogguru

Bit of a noob question here... So I did all of this over the weekend, minus the opamp change, and I left D5 and D6 stock (based on what I had available). It sounds great, so thanks for the mods, but I have a couple of questions:
1) The pedal has a lot of boost now - unity volume happens with the volume and gain both in the vicinity of 9 o'clock. Is this normal?
2) How can I fix this?

Thanks!

TDR1138
Information

Post by TDR1138 »

Anyone? :?