Boss - SD-1 Timmy, Landgraff, CJOD, BBOD, BMOD

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

still the SD-1 is a wonderful workhorse, cheap, reliable and with a bunch of component changed delightful.
I modded one of mine (3) to Clay jones specs and it sounds killer, with the advantages of noiseless switch and input- output buffer (I'm not crazy about true bypass, it works but I bet nobody can't hear any difference when you play with a band :) )

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

nooneknows wrote:(I'm not crazy about true bypass, it works but I bet nobody can't hear any difference when you play with a band :) )
I agree when you use one or two pedals, but I use more than 10... I put a pedal with a buffered bypass at the beginning of the signal chain, the rest is true bypass.
I´m just selling my SD-1 with some mods (incl Ge-transistor as clipping diode, like Keeley), which I used for quite a while, and it´s really a good pedal to mod, but converting it into a Lovepedal Eternity would mean to remove a lot of parts, and change almost every component value ... Is it worth the work? Building an Eternity on veroboard won´t take much longer than two hours - and you end with two pedals instead of one...
And when you set the gain knob to zero on the Eternity, it´s an excellent boost for a SD-1 - I have both pedals on my board, the Eternity and a SD-1 clone based on torchys layout.

BAMF
Information

Post by BAMF »

True. But the equation changes when you start off with a Denio SD-10, which is a 1:1 knock off of the Boss SD1. Now whether its more expensive or not depends on how much one values his time :-D.

As for me, I'm just averse to all that metalwork that a DIY pedal entails. I can solder all day, but my effeminate small hands can't take too much drilling :-D.

roseblood11 wrote:
nooneknows wrote:(I'm not crazy about true bypass, it works but I bet nobody can't hear any difference when you play with a band :) )
I agree when you use one or two pedals, but I use more than 10... I put a pedal with a buffered bypass at the beginning of the signal chain, the rest is true bypass.
I´m just selling my SD-1 with some mods (incl Ge-transistor as clipping diode, like Keeley), which I used for quite a while, and it´s really a good pedal to mod, but converting it into a Lovepedal Eternity would mean to remove a lot of parts, and change almost every component value ... Is it worth the work? Building an Eternity on veroboard won´t take much longer than two hours - and you end with two pedals instead of one...
And when you set the gain knob to zero on the Eternity, it´s an excellent boost for a SD-1 - I have both pedals on my board, the Eternity and a SD-1 clone based on torchys layout.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

BAMF wrote:Might as well share my notes. This is borne from a 1:1 comparison of the Boss SD1 and the Lovepedal Eternity. I'll follow up with a component map for the Denio SD10 too.

R7 - 10k - 1k (decreases sag, punchier sound)

C4- -.018 uF - 0.15 uF (treble cut, darker sound)
These 2 changes will actually add treble and make the pedal brighter.. not darker.
They form a Low Pass filter and the changed components raise the roll off point from 884Hz to 1060Hz.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

BAMF
Information

Post by BAMF »

Uh. I don't have the schem on me right now but if I recall correctly, that cap is shunted across the signal path and ground. It will take out more highs when you raise the value.

I'll get back to you on that one...

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

BAMF wrote:Uh. I don't have the schem on me right now but if I recall correctly, that cap is shunted across the signal path and ground. It will take out more highs when you raise the value.

I'll get back to you on that one...
Yes it will.. if you leave R7 at 10K, but you've changed it to 1K.. the 2 part changes combined raise the roll off point of that filter to allow more high frequencies through.

Schematic is here: http://www.godiksennet.com/images/sch/SD1PG2.JPG

new_anuzzerone
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Brunetti Maranello
Completed builds: Boss DS-1 Keeley, TS-5 - 808 conversion, BB, BD-2

Post by new_anuzzerone »

D3 - 1n4001- remove and jumper (it's said removing this makes the pedal sound fuller)
D4 - 1n4148 - 1n4148+1N4148 in series (makes clipping smoother)
D6 1N4148 - 1N4148 (makes clipping smoother)
D6 is the right value?
Why is the 1N4148 "smoother" now, when it´s not changed :scratch:
does it depend on the changed D4?

Any explains will be appreciated :wink:

thx

kareemk
Information

Post by kareemk »

i'd really love if someone made a schematic of the denio overdrive and HowTos for different mods for it.

here are some pics of mine:
https://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae5 ... 009141.jpg
https://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae5 ... 009138.jpg

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I'm sorry to bump it up, but one thing bothers me... I did some research to know more about 2N3440 transistor as I'm planing to put it to my Peter Horny G-Point Unit, I've check the data sheet and it clearly says it's SILICON transistor. In Monte's mod instructions he says clearly that's the germanium one, so my question is WTF? Is he really knows what he selling? :scratch: if not, then this is really lame :roll:

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

sinner wrote:I'm sorry to bump it up, but one thing bothers me... I did some research to know more about 2N3440 transistor as I'm planing to put it to my Peter Horny G-Point Unit, I've check the data sheet and it clearly says it's SILICON transistor. In Monte's mod instructions he says clearly that's the germanium one, so my question is WTF? Is he really knows what he selling? :scratch: if not, then this is really lame :roll:
I wonder ??

He's supposed to have a pair of those Golden Ears I believe.
I seem to remember some discussion on DIY stompboxes where one of the diodes he was changing to Germanium to improve the tone on one pedal turned out to be the protection diode ??

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

sinner wrote:I'm sorry to bump it up, but one thing bothers me... I did some research to know more about 2N3440 transistor as I'm planing to put it to my Peter Horny G-Point Unit, I've check the data sheet and it clearly says it's SILICON transistor. In Monte's mod instructions he says clearly that's the germanium one, so my question is WTF? Is he really knows what he selling? :scratch: if not, then this is really lame :roll:
You simply don´t get the thinking behind it :wink: :shock: :
(TO-1) metal-case = germanium
plastic-case = silicon

like the silicon-tits made by plastic-surgery - you got it now ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Ha! I don't see where he claims 2N3440 is gemanium, but I do see one can purchase this transistor from him for $2.25 ( :shock: ). Small Bear only charges $.85!

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Greg_G wrote:I seem to remember some discussion on DIY stompboxes where one of the diodes he was changing to Germanium to improve the tone on one pedal turned out to be the protection diode ??
MXR used some 1N270 (Ge) as protection diodes in the vintage Microamp... Germanium mojo? :wink:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Suck balls big time... Another guru in boutique world of pedal mods.. Lames are everywhere

GERMANIUM MOD IN YOUR ASS - Monte, I want to have my money back...

Or no, fuck this, go and get some proper training of it

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

analogguru wrote: You simply don´t get the thinking behind it :wink: :shock: :
plastic-case = silicon

like the silicon-tits made by plastic-surgery - you got it now ?

analogguru

Ok, I have my pants full of shit I was laughing that hardly :D

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

So what does he do with this magic transistor in an SD-1 anyway.. connect it as a diode ?

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Greg_G wrote:So what does he do with this magic transistor in an SD-1 anyway.. connect it as a diode ?
Oh, I can't tell you, as he track me down and prosecute my ass!!! Check out his page, he have no mercy for those bad boys who steal his ideas. It cost him a lot of hard work to develop the mods, so lets have a respect for it...

...yeah, just a diode replacement... boring as hell

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Another one :!:

JAN 1N3190 Diode Banzai says that this is germanium diode, data sheet says SILICON rectifier diode

Honestly dude - we can trust nobody! I think I'll check the data sheet with everything I've planing to buy from now
analogguru wrote: You simply don´t get the thinking behind it :wink: :shock: :
plastic-case = silicon
We have to add to this list

NOS = Germanium :slap:

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

sinner wrote:GERMANIUM MOD IN YOUR ASS
:applause:

I laughed so hard at this. :ROFL