Biyang OTD-100 more drive mode

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
dan5150
Information

Post by dan5150 »

I just scored one of these for $20!

It's the "value" model with the 6ax7 tube in it. Thinking about doing the jumper mod so it uses a 12ax7 instead.

Has anyone figured out what the "interplay" jack is for? On the case it is marked "switch" but it is a 1/8" input jack.

I haven't been able to locate a manual on this things yet...

fws
Information

Post by fws »

I have seen some of the Biyang 7 or 8 series pedals with Akai logo, and Akai used to sell tube distortion with expression pedal for controlling either drive or volume level.
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/akai/d1
I dont know if there is any connection, but well.

xjordanx
Information

Post by xjordanx »

I just bought two non-functioning units off a guy on eBay. I expect the step-up transformers to be open-circuit failed. Hopefully I can find the OC and rewind or find a suitable replacement (should not be hard - it's just a clock radio transformer in reverse: about 0.8w, 240vac to 6vac - or in this case, 6vac to 240vac for the plate).

I will reverse engineer the power supply schematic. I have done this before with the Guyatone TO-2 (which is a very similar pedal but requires a mains power supply). The Guyatone sounds AMAZING, yet has a low output volume and uses back-to-back diodes for clipping rather than the natural tube clipping. Tone wise it's my FAVOURITE, but I am real curious to see how this OTD100 sounds against it. I might just have to make some mods...

badanimal
Information

Post by badanimal »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the 'interplay' socket is for ?? thanks

Information

Post by 56335130 »

fws wrote:I have seen some of the Biyang 7 or 8 series pedals with Akai logo, and Akai used to sell tube distortion with expression pedal for controlling either drive or volume level.
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/akai/d1
I dont know if there is any connection, but well.
biyang is the manufacter of akai pedal line.Evevy akai pedal (Professional Analog Custom Shop )in china has a biyang branded verson.and indeed I dont like those silver nicle huge pedal..ugly,but the caps and resisters are very good.