Daphon - E20DL Delay

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
stratomaster
Information

Post by stratomaster »

Scruffie wrote:Is C34 known to go bad? What's it for.

And for that matter, what does replacing C2 with a diode accomplish? Why was C2 there originally and what's C1 for? Before I go replacing components in mine.

Still wanna try and true bypass this pedal too, I noticed delays even when the pedal was off with high gains infront of it, could be my heat damaged JRC4558 though, which will be replaced when I finally get some solder braid.

There are a few traces that AM cuts and jumpers to reroute the power to help better accommodate varying power supplies. The diode replaces C2 for polarity protection (as C2 was an arguably redundant cap in the power filtering circuit)

C34 is in the flip flop circuit. If it's bad, you get unreliable switching--so it's best to put in a good quality cap in there from the get-go to avoid any unpleasantness later on.

Swap out that 4558 for a TL072, it helped. The squeal was taken care of when I moved all the wiring to the far side of the board (just pushed it as I reassembled) away from the clock timer.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Ah you got it sorted, yea I ordered an LM388 and probably have a TL072 lying around to replace the 4558, can't get it out though yet.

Oh right, I wasn't gunna go ahead with the jumpers so i'l just leave that out, it seems to work fine on my power supply although it wont work with some batteries...

Me and good quality caps don't happen very often (my usual supplier doesn't stock them and i'm not too picky) but if I find one in a salvage i'l replace that then.

Think i'l just stick to my V3205 replacement, the 2 trimmers (when I find some small enough to go in or adapt mine) and true bypassing it if I can.

Hobbitinn
Information

Post by Hobbitinn »

Hi
I'm new here, just registered! I got my Daphon Delay today from Ebay.
There is this weird noise coming from it. It sounds something similar
to Bugbrands Bug-Crusher. Is that the noise that will vanish if I double
the value of the caps? Or is it the OpAmp? Where does this noise come
from?

Cheers
Arni Geir

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Hobbitinn wrote:Hi
I'm new here, just registered! I got my Daphon Delay today from Ebay.
There is this weird noise coming from it. It sounds something similar
to Bugbrands Bug-Crusher. Is that the noise that will vanish if I double
the value of the caps? Or is it the OpAmp? Where does this noise come
from?

Cheers
Arni Geir
'Bugbrands Bug Crusher' makes alot of noises, you'll have to be more specific of the noise and where you heard it.

Is it when you turn the repeats up full? If so this is self oscillation and normal.

If it's a de-grading glitchy effect on the repeats i'd put it down to poor biasing which will require trimmers to tune the unit.

defec
Information

Post by defec »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of how to adjust the two trim pots if I try to get this pedal to Analogman's specs? Is there a proper procedure? Also what direction does the diode go in in place of the capacitor? Any help/hints are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LonePhantom
Information

Post by LonePhantom »

Hi all, I know that this is an old post, but I figured it would be best in here.

I just got myself an E20DL yesterday, and surprisingly it's sounding quite good out of the box. No real noise issues, no squealing at higher delay time levels, and the self-oscillation is pretty damned awesome.

What I wanted to know was with regards to installing the trimpots. I have two spare 10K trimpots in my parts box that I can use. I'm not sure however to install them correctly in this pedal. I couldn't see anywhere that for example, explained how to hook up the trimpot to R18 and R19. If someone could explain this that would be awesome thanks. :)

I also want to install a chip that will make the repeats spaced further apart. As far as I understand the V3205 replacement will double the time of the stock pedal. I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to get more out of the pedal, either through some other BBD chip, or stacking the V3205. Any details on how to do this would be fantastic thanks. :)

I will try the V3205, but I have a feeling it won't quite give me the space between the repeats that I'm after.

Cheers all :)

Relja
Information

Post by Relja »

There is a lot of misleading info written here, that's why I have to bump this one.

The squealing at higher delay times won't be solved with proper biasing of the BBD (trimmers).
Only one trimmer is needed to take care of the distortion, and the symbol of it is written on the board.

The squeal will be gone only if you higher up the value of the small 332 (3,3nF) multilayer capacitor to something like 6,8nF (polyester or polyprop or whatever). You'll find that cap somewhat close to the BBD.

YOU ARE WELCOME! :D

https://soundcloud.com/reljinodjubre

Relja
Information

Post by Relja »

Relja wrote:There is a lot of misleading info written here, that's why I have to bump this one.

The squealing at higher delay times won't be solved with proper biasing of the BBD (trimmers).
Only one trimmer is needed to take care of the distortion, and the symbol of it is written on the board.

The squeal will be gone only if you higher up the value of the small 332 (3,3nF) multilayer capacitor to something like 6,8nF (polyester or polyprop or whatever). You'll find that cap somewhat close to the BBD.

Ok so this actually doesn't fix it and I gave up. I saved the BBD and threw the pedal in trash. It's unfixable.