Lets See those Danelectro Re-house glamour shots

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
lexluthier72
Information

Post by lexluthier72 »

Hey Folks,
Just joined the forum, and I am interested in re-housing my Danelectro Rocky Road. I searched for topics on the rocky road in particular, and got very little. Id like to see some finished projects, so I can see some sort of layout, and also what parts were completely replaced. Does not have to be the Rocky Road...lets see em!
-Erin

lexluthier72
Information

Post by lexluthier72 »

What....Nobody has ANY dano's they have re-housed? Cmon.... =(

guitarjoem
Information

Post by guitarjoem »

Click the thumbnail for a slideshow...

lexluthier72
Information

Post by lexluthier72 »

Nice! Is the case etched....?

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Sorry, no guts. This is a rehoused French Toast.
Dick joke has expired.

Wonderdog
Information

Post by Wonderdog »

Here is the Rocky Road re-housed.

I left the switching/buffered bypass in place, but put in metal momentary footswitches.
I did the unity gain mod and the 8mm led under the knobs is orange, and flashes in time with the speed.
However, hooking up the speed led affects the sound slightly, so the toggle switch in the upper right cuts out the flashing led and restores the full warble.
The 5mm led is on/off. The decal I created on PC paint and glows in the dark.

The red clipping led's on the board are socketed. I replaced them with jfet transistors shorted to form diodes, and now the thing is an awesome fuzz/overdrive box as well as a leslie simulator.
Case shot
Case shot
Gut shot
Gut shot

Wonderdog
Information

Post by Wonderdog »

Here is my Chicken Salad re-house. First pedal I ever made.

True bypass, speed led, trim pot external mount.
The speed led is the large 8mm purple led in the center. Always on.
The small red led is on/off.
The graphics are printed on glow in the dark sticky paper covered with a tough clear film.
Sounds awesome. Looks cool too.
IMG_3553_edited.JPG
IMG_3551.JPG
Last edited by Wonderdog on 29 Jan 2010, 01:00, edited 2 times in total.

lexluthier72
Information

Post by lexluthier72 »

Wonderdog....SWEET! Thanks much. Everyone, Id love to see more....seems there is not alot of info out there on re-housing....But at least now, I have an idea of layout, and what new parts are involved. Thanks again
-Erin

guitarjoem
Information

Post by guitarjoem »

lexluthier72 wrote:Nice! Is the case etched....?
Yes.

Wonderdog
Information

Post by Wonderdog »

Here is my Chicken Salad re-house showing the glow-in-the-dark feature. :thumbsup
IMG_3558_edited.JPG
IMG_3558_edited.JPG (47.18 KiB) Viewed 3815 times

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Dan N is that a fuzzy box, like the Foxx Tone Machine??? If so where did you get it or how did you make it??

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:Dan N is that a fuzzy box, like the Foxx Tone Machine??? If so where did you get it or how did you make it??
It's flocking powder I got off ebay. You're supposed to get your box wet with paint (the same color as the flock you want to use) then sprinkle the stuff on top. I had better luck spreading the stuff on a flat surface, painting the box, then shoving the wet box down into it. I usually have to do that twice to get a thick coat. It looks swell, but does not age well.

A well worn beebaa clone:
http://users.rio.com/senorris/junk/IMG_0002.jpg
Dick joke has expired.

lexluthier72
Information

Post by lexluthier72 »

Hey Folks....Thanks for the ideas....It may be a while, but I will report back when I am closer!

guitarjoem
Information

Post by guitarjoem »

And another Chicken Salad re-house...

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

I'd love to see what you did with the guts of those. Did you replace the trimmers they use for pots or just make some kind of weird knob arrangement?
Testing, testing, won too fwee

archimedes
Information

Post by archimedes »

Here's mine done recently and sounding very fine indeed, I have discovered that it is great for those Paul Barrere / Little Feat type rhythm parts amongst other things. Paint is that Hammerite hammered finish stuff which you can apply directly to bare metal, I didn't want to spend too much time on finishing and I had it lying around from painting the kid's climbing frame about 18 years ago, it works well I think. No labels as yet, not sure that they will take to the finish or that I really need them.

In answer to the previous post, the two Dano pots and the trim pot have been removed and the pots on top of mine are wired direct to the PCB. The input / output and switching board has been removed completely.
Attachments
chickensaladvibe.jpg
chickensaladvibe.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 3481 times

guitarjoem
Information

Post by guitarjoem »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:I'd love to see what you did with the guts of those. Did you replace the trimmers they use for pots or just make some kind of weird knob arrangement?
Like most everybody else, when I do a Danelectro rehouse I lose the board with the switching circuit and jacks and build a voltage divider, put in a 3PDT switch and new jacks. I also install new pots all the way around, and on the chicken salad I add reflective foil into the bulb's box. The stock board mount pots are super cheap and easy to break. The only original part is the circuit board that has the effect circuit. Some other Danelectro pedals use the switching board for more than switching, in and out jacks and power, so be careful before charging into a rehouse.

jgmcd
Information

Post by jgmcd »

I am interested in finding that Hammerite finish in that same color for a pedal I am building right now.
What is the name of the color or color code for the color you used?
Did you use brush-on or aerosol?
Thanks

blooze_man
Information

Post by blooze_man »

It would be really cool to see some gut shots of these.

Winther
Information
my favorite amplifier: Hiwatt, Laney, Fender, vox...
Completed builds: Plexitone, AC-Tone, DC-Drive, Opto-Comp, drivesection of the Quattro, inputs on the Echotone, Classic Flanger, Classic chorus....all together with the real mind behind those things, Thomas Guldmann.....I am just the ears and second opinion.
Modded a few Tubescreamers, one YJM DOD drive, a few Blues Drivers, one Ibanez Metal Charger, destroyed a huge number of pedals as well...haha

Post by Winther »

Stuffed mine today...
No gut shots.....hehe it looks awful hehe