1969 Fuzz Box  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Way back - there was this....
Horrid Fuzz
Horrid Fuzz
1969Fuzz.png (11.27 KiB) Viewed 6606 times
If you build this, you might want to add 220pF across the 1M5 resistor at the base of the first transistor to keep your local AM station out!

Please feel free to change every value in the box - there are some great (and really nasty) sounds in there!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

mictester wrote:Way back - there was this....
1969Fuzz.png
If you build this, you might want to add 220pF across the 1M5 resistor at the base of the first transistor to keep your local AM station out!

Please feel free to change every value in the box - there are some great (and really nasty) sounds in there!

Hmmmm...this is interesting, I used to have a CD of Iron Butterfly's InnaGaddaDaVida album, and have always wondered how the guitarist got that sound, have you tried building this circuit, and does it get that sound?.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

DrNomis wrote:
1969Fuzz.png

Hmmmm...this is interesting, I used to have a CD of Iron Butterfly's InnaGaddaDaVida album, and have always wondered how the guitarist got that sound, have you tried building this circuit, and does it get that sound?.... :hmmm:
I'm gonna be that guy... who says... "You can only listen to InnaGaddaDaVida on vinyl!"

:applause:
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

phibes wrote:
DrNomis wrote:
1969Fuzz.png

I'm gonna be that guy... who says... "You can only listen to InnaGaddaDaVida on vinyl!"

:applause:

Yeah, you're right, the only way to listen to those old classics is on their original media the way they were meant to be played and listened to, I love those old classics, I should hunt around in my CDs and stuff to see if I can find my CD of InnaGaddaDaVida, I figured out how to play the main guitar riff, pretty easy to play.... :thumbsup

Listening to it right now on youtube, here's a link to it:

Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Of course I built it! Several times, because several other people wanted them! The earliest ones were built in to cylindrical steel cans, with the jack sockets, pots and footswitch (DPDT!) mounted in the lid, with the components wired point-to-point using offcuts of PCB material glued inside the lid as wiring "lands". One of these originals is still in use today!

Basically, it's a misbiased transistor driven by a stage with a bit of top lift (experiment with the emitter resistor bypass capacitor!). It can sound really amazing or really horrible!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

mictester wrote:Of course I built it! Several times, because several other people wanted them! The earliest ones were built in to cylindrical steel cans, with the jack sockets, pots and footswitch (DPDT!) mounted in the lid, with the components wired point-to-point using offcuts of PCB material glued inside the lid as wiring "lands". One of these originals is still in use today!

Basically, it's a misbiased transistor driven by a stage with a bit of top lift (experiment with the emitter resistor bypass capacitor!). It can sound really amazing or really horrible!

Well, I'm going to have a go at building one of these because I've got an otherwise unused case that's already got most of what I need in it, it was originally for a Tonebender Proffessional Mk II, but I've decided to rebuild the Tonebender in a new case, and this circuit looks like just the thing to put in the old case, I've been wanting to build a Fuzz Pedal based on the mis-biased Transistor idea, I've got a book that has a similar circuit to this in it, which is what inspired me to try building this circuit in the first place.... :thumbsup

I love these old Fuzz circuits.... :thumbsup

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

great new project :thumbsup
thanks for posting this - i remember Iron Butterfly too - think i actually owned the album way back then :hmmm:
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

bajaman wrote:great new project :thumbsup
thanks for posting this - i remember Iron Butterfly too - think i actually owned the album way back then :hmmm:
cheers
bajaman

It's one of those classic albums from the 60's Psychedelic era , isn't it Bajaman?, it got featured on one of the Nightmare On Elm Street movies, with old razorfingers,Freddy Krueger, himself.... :thumbsup

Now I'm seriously going to have to look through my CDs to see if I can find it.... :hmmm:

I wonder if anyone here remembers a band called the 13th Floor Elevators, with Roky Erickson?, and a song called "You're Gonna Miss Me"..... :hmmm:

The interesting thing is, I was born on the 31St of August 1969, so, I've got some ties to the Psychedelic era in me, my mum used to be into alot of the music that was popular then, she probably still is..... :D

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

DrNomis wrote:I wonder if anyone here remembers a band called the 13th Floor Elevators, with Roky Erickson?, and a song called "You're Gonna Miss Me"..... :hmmm:
Hell yeah! Been a Roky fan for many years. Got to shake his hand a couple of years ago. :thumbsup

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

jrod wrote:
DrNomis wrote:I wonder if anyone here remembers a band called the 13th Floor Elevators, with Roky Erickson?, and a song called "You're Gonna Miss Me"..... :hmmm:
Hell yeah! Been a Roky fan for many years. Got to shake his hand a couple of years ago. :thumbsup

Wow!!!!, that's really cool..... :shock:

What was Roky like in person?.... :hmmm:

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

DrNomis wrote:
jrod wrote:

He was super, super nice! I met him after a show in Dallas, TX, which was just fantastic!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

jrod wrote:
DrNomis wrote:
jrod wrote:

He was super, super nice! I met him after a show in Dallas, TX, which was just fantastic!

Oh very cool, considering all the stuff he's been through, I did some online research into him after a classmate I met at uni suggested seeing if I could find out some info on him, I think it's a really heartwarming story of how Roky overcame all he went through and still be able to make music, I think it's a real testament to his character, America should regard him as a national treasure, right up there with Bob Dylan.... :thumbsup

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

I've just found one of these in the box of miscellaneous PCBs! It's got a couple of changed values (probably made it sound less bad!) and a broken battery connector! I'll see if it still works when I find the pots for it (the originals have been "borrowed" for other things!

I'll put up a Vero layout for this museum piece. It actually is worth building!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I was bored.... unverified, but I'll breadboard it tonight and build the vero if I like it:
1969Fuzz - unverif.gif
1969Fuzz - unverif.gif (15.62 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

Please add 220p (or 100p) from e1 to f1 to get rid of AM radio breakthrough!

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Just a question... is that 1 meg pot, kind of an adjustable bootstrap?
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

GuitarlCarl wrote:Just a question... is that 1 meg pot, kind of an adjustable bootstrap?
No. It's just varying the bias voltage on the second transistor base. You can get some really bizarre sounds when the biasing takes the second stage close to Class C mode!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Finally got round to breadboarding this beast, and what a great circuit! Huge thanks to mictester for sharing.

Like many diy-ers, I'm constantly messing with different fuzz circuits because they're usually so simple, and even "bad" can often sound good - ideal for an inept tinkerer like me. For a long time, after trying out endless variations on the Si fuzzface, tonebender mkII, fuzzrite, bosstone, etc etc, I was pretty unsatisfied with Si fuzz circuits in general, with most sounding either too gated or gainy or trebly/harsh for my tastes. However, I tried out Skreddy's Lunar Module fuzz a while back (a fancy MKII variant with a variable high pass filter after Q1 and plenty of low-pass filtering throughout) and it hasn't left my pedalboard since! Great sound, really smooth and sophisticated, endless sustain, effortless feedback at will, and a quite respectable low-gain overdrive-ish sound with both gain controls rolled back.

Anyway, to cut a long (and boring) story short, I've recently found myself hankering after some of those gnarly/glitchy/gated retro fuzz sounds I thought I disliked, probably because the lunar module occasionally feels a little too smooth and polite - more like a distortion than a fuzz effect: Enter the 1969 Fuzz.

I didn't want to go over old ground, and the fuzz/bias control in the 1969 looked quite interesting. I first breadboarded the circuit as per mictester's schematic, albeit with 100n caps instead of 47n at the input and coupling Q1-2. It sounds great as it is, with the "fuzz" control moving from almost clean at minimum, through classic 60's buzzy-fuzz (very much Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida/Nuggets-era fuzzbox) at half way, and on into compressed and ultra-gated edgy fuzz at the maximum.

A couple of drawbacks prompted me to tinker further; Firstly, it is exceptionally loud so I changed the peculiar (to me) volume arrangement by removing the 22k resistor, the last 100n cap and the 390k resistor to ground: I put the 390k straight back in where the 22k had been (I didn't have anything else to hand) and put the 50k pot back in as a standard voltage divider volume control: This brought the volume down to a more manageable unity-at-12 o'clock level.

Next, I loved the range of sounds available from the existing fuzz control, but at higher settings the extreme gating can cut sustained notes off a little early, so to increase the available gain, I swapped the Q2 1k emitter resistor for a standard fuzzface/tonebender 1k gain control (I actually used a 1k2 fixed resistor to ground off the emitter with a 5k lin pot in parallel with a 22uF cap to ground, but this should work like a 1kB pot with a slightly different taper). With the gain pot at minimum, it operates exactly like the stock mictester circuit: Increasing the gain jacks up the sustain when the fuzz control is set high, and generally boosts the filth level at all settings.

A unintended consequence is that now, with the gain and fuzz set fairly high, sustained notes go on for ages, but the second you stop the note, the vicious gating cuts off potential squealing feedback: You can balance the fuzz and gain levels to set the precise sustain and gating required. With a compressor in front, notes go on indefinitely until you release the string - Silence!

Lastly, this extra gain (and possibly the new volume control) makes for a pretty bright sound, bordering on ice-pick at times: I opted for the fairly brutal but effective solution of a 3n3 cap to ground off volume lug 3. There are probably much more effective ways to achieve what I wanted to do, and as such any further suggestions will be gratefully received.

I shall tinker further this week, and post a vero layout when I'm done. Apologies for the super-long post, congratulations if you made it this far: Here's what I've got -
1969Fuzz_nocentelli edit.PNG
1969Fuzz_nocentelli edit.PNG (7.26 KiB) Viewed 6140 times
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

thanks for bringing this one back to my attention! sounds like i'll definitely have to give it a run through.

oh, and Simon, you just got 5,000 experience points for the Roky reference. :thumbsup
and anyone interested should check out the doc on him. it's a tough to watch, heartbreaking story, but definitely a great film.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Verified - Works nicely:
1969Fuzz - edit_nocentelli_vero3.gif
1969Fuzz - edit_nocentelli_vero3.gif (16.05 KiB) Viewed 6072 times