ButterCup Fuzz: High Gain Germanium

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Well, Hurricane Sandy has given me a few days off with little to do so I have put together the project files for the ButterCup.
The ButterCup uses high gain Germanium transistors. I bought them from Pedal Parts Plus in the US. The enclosure is a 1590XX as this pedal requires two 3PDT switches and 4 Pots. This is not a project for a beginner!!!!

I am currently using AC187 germaniums for Q1 and Q2 and a 2N5088 for Q3. Using the silicone 2N5088 removes some noise from the pedal, and adds a distinct, razory, compression to the sound which I prefer in my pedals. This combo also gives a nice ToneBender MKI type sound (ala Ziggy Stardust) when you invert the tone stack and roll back on the gain and butter a little.

The pedal also sounds good with the 2N5088's in Q2 and Q3, but is very hard edged. I have tried the 2N5088's in every position and in all combinations. The pedal doesn't work if all three are silicone.

With a 2N5088 in just the Q1 position the pedal sounds pretty much the same as if all three were germanium.

I am including all my project files here in a zipped folder. I am including the schematic separately so it can be viewed before downloading.

The Vero layout is good. I have built 2 pedals from this Vero and both work just fine. Wiring this pedal is a BEAR. There are 22 wires coming out of or going into the board. Work slow and carefully on this one and clean between your Vero tracks on every solder joint.

There is a PDF file for making a PCB for the project but it is unverified as I have no access to a laser printer at this time. I have double checked the PCB file and I have no reason to believe it is bugged, but I recommend you look it over and trace it to verify it is correct before you commit to etching one and placing components on it.

As always, have fun and rock hard.
Attachments
AC187Fuzz.bmp
AC187Fuzz.bmp (732.97 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
Buttercup.zip
(525.94 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage