Difference in sound between different color LEDs

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
SpikeVelvet
Information

Post by SpikeVelvet »

I'm a relative n00b at this and I am curious to know if there is a difference in sound between different colored LEDs when used as clipping diodes in an OD/Distortion circuit. I know the forward voltage ratings differ but does that affect the sound of the end product?

Thanks

Moderator: I don't know if this is the right location to post this so please move as you see fit

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

SpikeVelvet wrote:I'm a relative n00b at this and I am curious to know if there is a difference in sound between different colored LEDs when used as clipping diodes in an OD/Distortion circuit. I know the forward voltage ratings differ but does that affect the sound of the end product?

Thanks

Moderator: I don't know if this is the right location to post this so please move as you see fit
Have a look at this page, there you will find the LED Datasheets.
http://www.kingbright.com/content/listitem/psearch/56
Dependent on material the traced curves shows different shapes and treshold voltages.
The treshhold voltage determines the compression,
the curve shape determines the harmonics contain
which finally affects the sound sound spectrum.

SpikeVelvet
Information

Post by SpikeVelvet »

Thanks!!