Mirano - EF-1 - Exciting Fuzz  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

I found this on a Japanese web site. I'm pretty sure this is a Big Muff clone closely resembling this "factory" schematic: http://www.kitrae.net/music/10_15_75_Bi ... ematic.jpg. I see at least one pair of clipping diodes and it looks like another hidden behind one of the electros. At least one electro is 1.0uF and at least one ceramic cap is 500pF. I'll bet the large greenies are 0.1uF. I did not check the resistor values. This pedal is made in Japan, according to the site, in 1970. Transistors are metal can Matsushita 2SC539 × 4.

Discofreq also has some pics at his site: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/mirano/ef1

Enjoy!
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (53.78 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
4jpg.jpg
4jpg.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 6965 times
3jpg.jpg
3jpg.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 6965 times

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

jrod wrote:I found this on a Japanese web site. I'm pretty sure this is a Big Muff clone closely resembling this "factory" schematic: http://www.kitrae.net/music/10_15_75_Bi ... ematic.jpg. I see at least one pair of clipping diodes and it looks like another hidden behind one of the electros. At least one electro is 1.0uF and at least one ceramic cap is 500pF. I'll bet the large greenies are 0.1uF. I did not check the resistor values. This pedal is made in Japan, according to the site, in 1970. Transistors are metal can Matsushita 2SC539 × 4.

Discofreq also has some pics at his site: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/mirano/ef1

Enjoy!
You're right. It's a cloned Big Muff, or it might be the pedal that the Big Muff was cloned from! There were stories that the Big Muff was based on an obscure Japanese product. Perhaps this is it!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

mictester wrote:You're right. It's a cloned Big Muff, or it might be the pedal that the Big Muff was cloned from! There were stories that the Big Muff was based on an obscure Japanese product. Perhaps this is it!
Now that would be some shit!
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Wow, I've never heard that claim. That would crazy if it were!

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

mictester wrote:
You're right. It's a cloned Big Muff, or it might be the pedal that the Big Muff was cloned from! There were stories that the Big Muff was based on an obscure Japanese product. Perhaps this is it!

In all the years I've been collecting/repairing EH pedals this is the first time I've ever heard that.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Kitrae
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Kitrae »

I have never heard those "stories" either. An original circuit design coming from Japan in the early 70's? - not likely. Japan was huge into pedal knockoffs from the late 60s and all throughout the 70s. Bob Myer designed the first Big Muff circuit in 1969, and knockoffs started appearing as early as '71. The Sekova Big Muff is another Japanese clone from the early 70s. A guy from Japan emailed me pix of the Exiting Fuzz a few years ago, which I think are these same photos. He said it was one of the first Big Muff clones from around '72. According to him, Mirano/Ktayama made a lot of tape delays, pedals, and amps - all based on existing products. If anyone has any more info than that, let me know, as I have never found much else about this company.
Kitrae - Muff junkie
Big Muff Page
http://bigmuffpage.com/
Tonbender Timeline
http://www.bigmuffpage.com/The_Tonebender_Timeline.html

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

Well at least the name is really cool!

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Kitrae wrote:I have never heard those "stories" either. An original circuit design coming from Japan in the early 70's? - not likely. Japan was huge into pedal knockoffs from the late 60s and all throughout the 70s. Bob Myer designed the first Big Muff circuit in 1969, and knockoffs started appearing as early as '71. The Sekova Big Muff is another Japanese clone from the early 70s. A guy from Japan emailed me pix of the Exiting Fuzz a few years ago, which I think are these same photos. He said it was one of the first Big Muff clones from around '72. According to him, Mirano/Ktayama made a lot of tape delays, pedals, and amps - all based on existing products. If anyone has any more info than that, let me know, as I have never found much else about this company.
I have a "Sonic" "distortion / sustainer" that was bought in Japan in mid-1968, and appeared on a couple of tracks recorded in the Netherlands in late '68 and early '69. It's clearly a Big Muff Pi, using the usual four transistors, two pairs of clipping diodes, and a mid-scooped tone control with lots of range. It was obviously mass produced, as there are only about three values of resistor and two values of capacitor used throughout - where other values are needed, components are fitted in series or parallel as required. The three pots are all 100k, and mounted at the back of the box like the Mirano. The bypass isn't "true" bypass, but it has a DPDT footswitch. One side switches the output socket either to the input or to the board output, and the other shorts the "Sustain" pot to ground to silence the pedal when bypassed. They didn't care about the loading effect of the input of the pedal!

The next time I'm at my family's place in Amsterdam, I'll see if I can find it. It was last seen in a box of old musical gear in the loft, and had been discarded (as I remember) because the battery connector was missing - it was to be mended when I "got around to it"!. There are also a few other vintage pedals there, including a Schaller Volume Pedal that I used to use a lot, and original Cry Baby, one of my earliest Tonebender clones and a few other goodies. I'd forgotten all about this junk until the Mirano thread started, because the box described at the start of the thread looks very like a larger version of the "Sonic" box.

Kitrae
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Kitrae »

I would love to see pix of that one. You purchased it in '68, or someone else said they did? Post some gut shots if you find it.

Kitrae
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Kitrae »

John Lyons wrote:Well at least the name is really cool!
The Japanese were really good at naming products using English words weren't they?

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Kitrae wrote:
John Lyons wrote:Well at least the name is really cool!
The Japanese were really good at naming products using English words weren't they?
Rig Ruff!
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

Kitrae wrote:I would love to see pix of that one. You purchased it in '68, or someone else said they did? Post some gut shots if you find it.
I'll be going over there in the next few weeks. I'll collect all the old gear and bring it home. As I remember, there are some real gems there!

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

mictester wrote:
Kitrae wrote:I would love to see pix of that one. You purchased it in '68, or someone else said they did? Post some gut shots if you find it.
I'll be going over there in the next few weeks. I'll collect all the old gear and bring it home. As I remember, there are some real gems there!
Did you ever find that old fuzz pedal?

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

I'd love to see that pedal, I never heard of a pedal with that name...
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

mictester wrote:I have a "Sonic" "distortion / sustainer" that was bought in Japan in mid-1968, and appeared on a couple of tracks recorded in the Netherlands in late '68 and early '69.
Mictester, did you ever find the Sonic distortion?

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

jrod wrote:Mictester, did you ever find the Sonic distortion?
I'm waiting to see my nephew - apparently he cleaned out most of the musical junk from the attic over there. The big prize he found (in his eyes) is a WEM Copycat in "perfect" condition! There was also a couple of old "Schaller" volume pedals and "a few odd boxes". When I get hold of the remainder of the old junk, I'll post some photos.

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

mictester wrote:
jrod wrote:Mictester, did you ever find the Sonic distortion?
I'm waiting to see my nephew - apparently he cleaned out most of the musical junk from the attic over there. The big prize he found (in his eyes) is a WEM Copycat in "perfect" condition! There was also a couple of old "Schaller" volume pedals and "a few odd boxes". When I get hold of the remainder of the old junk, I'll post some photos.
Looking forward to it. Thanks!

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Any updates Chris? :blackeye

digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

Haven't posted in a while, so here you go folks...

No matter how many times I cut it, it`s STILL too short!

https://www.deadendfx.com/

edkoppel
Information

Post by edkoppel »

digi2t wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 22:46 Haven't posted in a while, so here you go folks...
Great photos! Thanks 🙏
Tone Machines: vintage effects blog:
http://tonemachines.blogspot.com/