Vox - Distortion Module 1348B  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Ro S
Information

Post by Ro S »

Hi -

Can anyone tell me anything about the distortion (fuzz) ciruit found in the some of the VOX guitars of the late 1960s which had built-in effects (e.g. 'Starstream', 'Grand Prix' models).

What fuzz type or circuit is it or akin to?

Was it the same circuit that was used in either a Vox stompbox or plug-in effcts unit from around the same time?

(The sound of the fuzz circuit of the Vox Starstream and Grand Prix guitars can be heard on these 2 video demos on Youtube:
at 1min 7 secs and also at 3min 5 secs:
AND - 1min 30sec: )

thanks!

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Mr. Bill
Information

Post by Mr. Bill »

It's been a while since I opened one up, but as I recall it is very similar to a silicon transistor version of a Fuzz Face.

Ro S
Information

Post by Ro S »

Mr. Bill wrote:It's been a while since I opened one up, but as I recall it is very similar to a silicon transistor version of a Fuzz Face.
Mr Bill -
Thank you, that's very interesting to know. Do do post again or PM me, please, if you have verification or any further information.

thanks

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

would like to be so bold as to bump this baby, as it seemed to die an inconclusive death. reanimate, reinvigorate, revitalise and reveal all...

tabby

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I can't see the image in the post above, but I think the starstream "fuzz" is the distortion module:

modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I did a vero of the distortion module... as yet unverified:
vox DM acid fuzz.gif
vox DM acid fuzz.gif (15.65 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

ilcaccillo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ilcaccillo »

Ro S wrote:Hi -

Can anyone tell me anything about the distortion (fuzz) ciruit found in the some of the VOX guitars of the late 1960s which had built-in effects (e.g. 'Starstream', 'Grand Prix' models).

What fuzz type or circuit is it or akin to?

Was it the same circuit that was used in either a Vox stompbox or plug-in effcts unit from around the same time?

(The sound of the fuzz circuit of the Vox Starstream and Grand Prix guitars can be heard on these 2 video demos on Youtube:
at 1min 7 secs and also at 3min 5 secs:
AND - 1min 30sec: )

thanks!
Wow,
those are really Cool guitars!!!!!!