sola sound / colorsound wah gutshots

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Thaxt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Thaxt »

Having removed the pot in question, I see it labeled as a CTS 100K linear - & defintlely by sight, a plastic, nonconductive element & shaft. So, the usual Colorsound wah pot it is. Just worn out, considering it's nearly 40 years old.

My next approach to the pedal involves both the 4.7uf cap & lack of a BC184 trannie as Q1. While this wah has a nice clear sound in its pedal down position, it can be lacking in its sweep's level of vocality & prominence of the sweep's transition.

I wondered about the effectiveness of replacing the trannie with either a BC184, or: has anyone had success in upgrading these wahs using, say, 2N5088's, BC109's, etc? I'm guessing that the presence of 2 BC169B's might be have been doing me out of some tonality here. Wonder why they would vary the formula?

The moniker "WAH-FUZZ-STRAIGHT" seems to be the rare designation w this one.

ringworm
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ringworm »

Thaxt wrote:The electrolytic cap is 4.7uf, not 10 uf. I wonder if a better (stronger) sound might come from replacing it with a 10uf?
4.7uf is standard in pretty much every Colorsound Wah I've seen gut-shots of.

Thaxt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Thaxt »

The Bourns 100K/L pot is on the way.

Do others favor the CTS pot for any reason?