Colorsound - Power Boost / Overdriver

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
freedreamer
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by freedreamer »

hi ,

anyone has schematic and/PCB of this pedal?

thanks for the help

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

As far as I know it should be (nearly?) identical to the Colorsound Overdriver

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledi ... erdrv.html

This page contains schematic, pcb files and parts layout for the overdriver and confirms: "The Overdriver was introduced in the early '70s. I believe it was originally sold under the name "Power Boost".

modman

[/img]
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

I love this pedal!

Is the tonestack to be taken as baxandall?

snail

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

This booster is a highly recomended build.
Check out Arons forum for additional info about some minor errors or if it was wrong component values in the schematic (if I remember right).

Back in the days people like Jeff Beck and Jan Akkerman used this booster

Akkerman - >
Do not let the sloppy beginning fool you. This guy play some amazing stuff and absolutely tears up the guitar neck ...for being 1973 :wink: .

foxfire
Information

Post by foxfire »

if the power booster is the same circuit as the overdriver then i'd have to agree. i love my overdriver. it's just a ballsy pedal.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

really awful how they mixed up the capacitors in the tone-control section. If there woudn´t be the picture I wouldn´t believe it.

analogguru

Bernardduur: My '96 Colorsound Overdriver wrote:So

This was the first pedal I ever bought; I was on a vacation in England and ventured into Sola Sound shop, somewhere in London. I had to choose between the Tonebender and this box; you know which one I chose. It has been on my board now for years and years...... Awesome pedal!

Old schematic which can be found on the internet

Same schematic but now with altered values for my '96 unit

Transistors are BC184L's. The only thing missing from the schematic is the 1M to ground pull down resistor and the 100k volume potmeter
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Notice those nice quality HIGH VOLTAGE capacitors for nice tone :wink:
bajaman

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

I have 3 different schems of the old OD (early years) and maybe C-sound made even more variations on the original circuit. C-sound used different trannies in the '70-ties and always modified parts in the circuit to adapt different trannies. IMHO they have done the same thing on the '96-model or at least some improvements. Soundwise there will be no or only a slight variation in tone compared to the old units.

2x100n caps + a 10k pot on the treble control is OK, old units have 2x10n caps + a 100k pot. The frequency curve for both combinations is equal.

Often due to dried out or weak electrolytic caps most old C-sound ODs sound muddy and after a re-cap those ODs sound like the should. Replacing those coupling caps with metal film caps like on the '96 is a very good upgrade and 470n is OK. Electrolytic coupling caps are often chosen 10 times bigger than there metal film counterparts to compensate the heavy bass-frequency losses electrolytics are known for.

JHS

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

She sounds pretty good, although the gain control doesn't do much until it is at 75% or so....... then the unit becomes gritty and fuzzy

I use it mainly with the gain at 0 boosting the amp; it has a lot of volume!
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

Underside to complete the picture; notice the marking "Powerboost 96" :)
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Hey cool, thanks !

analogguru

lautmaschine
Information

Post by lautmaschine »

The Akkerman sloppiness at the beginning is totally intentional. The 'broken' beginning eventually became the trademark of Hocus Pocus live.

Akkerman is quite the eccentric guy. Back in the day he loved Les Pauls but couldn't stand how little treble they produced. He was always on about how important it was to get the most treble possible in his sound.... I remember reading interview after interview of the guy spelling out his recipes for guitar sound as if it was gospel.

But yeah, a monster on the neck for sure. What a great song that was.

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30

Post by JimiB »

what trannys are those?

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

JimiB wrote:what trannys are those?
Bernardduur wrote:Transistors are BC184L's.

:D

pf_fan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pf_fan »

This schematic of '96 Colorsound Power Boost shows two 22uF capacitors. When I looked at PCB shot I noticed three 22uF caps. Is something wrong with the schematic or am I blind? :)

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

pf_fan wrote:This schematic of '96 Colorsound Power Boost shows two 22uF capacitors. When I looked at PCB shot I noticed three 22uF caps. Is something wrong with the schematic or am I blind? :)
Your not blind; I think I missed it :). The cap is placed between the V+ and ground

pf_fan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pf_fan »

Bernardduur wrote:Your not blind; I think I missed it :). The cap is placed between the V+ and ground
Thanks. Is it this one?

I think that I noticed one more thing. I counted 15 resistors on PCB. Schematic have only 14. To make things more complicated I found another picture of the PCB which has... 16 resistors! I circled this additional one :)

sonicvi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by sonicvi »

I have Prescription's version of the Overdriver and it uses 2N3904's rather than BC types. BC184C's I have are much higher gain than 3904's I have. Should there be a great deal of difference in sound between the two types in this circuit?

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

pf_fan wrote:
Bernardduur wrote:Your not blind; I think I missed it :). The cap is placed between the V+ and ground
Thanks. Is it this one?

I think that I noticed one more thing. I counted 15 resistors on PCB. Schematic have only 14. To make things more complicated I found another picture of the PCB which has... 16 resistors! I circled this additional one :)

I'll check it tonight!