Colorsound - Power Boost / Overdriver

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

pf_fan wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote:I just fought myself through dozens of Power Boost and Overdriver gut shots. Here's some variations of the circuit:
I hope you'll find those pics useful as well :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S3OUCL39
sorry, nothing new that I can make out.

Maybe I should have mentioned in the shematic that the later Overdrivers have a 10µF cap at Q1's emitter..

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

I wonder - could anybody provide the original 18V Overdriver schematics and/or layout, so that we could use a 17V charge-pump (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/ind ... &Itemid=26) to make a clone of it?

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

guess what I did on page 4? :)

here's my layouts, I hope I didn't mess up too bad..
Attachments
powerboost.png
overdriver.png

blueduck577
Information

Post by blueduck577 »

i just built one of these off of the hand drawn overdriver schematic dated 6-14-71... and it doesn't sound like an overdrive to me at all. it does the clean boost but when it distorts it sounds more like a fuzz face to me. like others said it's sounds sort of splatty and misbiased. is this what it's supposed to sound like? i used 2N5088s for the transistors... I have some BC108s and some 2N2222s on hand also, though others have said the transistors don't make much of a difference.

it's late, so I haven't had the chance to crank the amp.

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Electric Warrior wrote:guess what I did on page 4? :)
Great, thanks a million! Could you maybe make a PCB layout, if that's not too much to ask?

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

blueduck577 wrote:i just built one of these off of the hand drawn overdriver schematic dated 6-14-71... and it doesn't sound like an overdrive to me at all. it does the clean boost but when it distorts it sounds more like a fuzz face to me. like others said it's sounds sort of splatty and misbiased. is this what it's supposed to sound like? i used 2N5088s for the transistors... I have some BC108s and some 2N2222s on hand also, though others have said the transistors don't make much of a difference.

it's late, so I haven't had the chance to crank the amp.
right, it's a boost. does yours sound anything like this?
Great, thanks a million! Could you maybe make a PCB layout, if that's not too much to ask?
no, why don't you make one yourself?

Brink
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Brink »

Rocket Roll wrote:Great, thanks a million! Could you maybe make a PCB layout, if that's not too much to ask?
One already exists: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... alNumber=3

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

these are all for the Overdriver. Rocket Roll was looking for Power Boost layout, which is not 100% compatible with the Overdriver PCB layouts posted. The 12k resistor at Q1's emitter connects with Q2's collector in the power boost.
For some reason the .1µF capacitor across the bass pot is missing in those layouts.. :hmmm:

blueduck577
Information

Post by blueduck577 »

this thing doesn't like buffers. running direct guitar -> overdriver -> amp sounds fantastic. but when I inserted it in my signal chain after a boss SD-1, it became splatty and had treble emphasis. maybe thats why I felt it sounded misbiased earlier.

oh well, looks like it's going to replace the SD-1 anyway, and all of my other pedals are true bypass. maybe I'll just put it first in the chain. either way this thing sounds great with the amp going full tilt.

.Mike
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by .Mike »

Hey guys,

I put together an original layout for this using the "Overdriver" schematic, and thought I would share. It's kind of niche layout, so it won't be suitable for everyone. This is the second layout I have ever done.

This is for a long-term multi-effects unit I'm building for myself. I will do at least 10 different original layouts when all is said and done. I'll be posting the project files for each as I compete them. All of my layouts will have: Board-mounted pots (meant to mount vertically); Volume pot on top; 4" x ~2" max dimensions; and Molex jacks for in/out/power/ground connections. I've already released my PIC tremolo, but it disappeared a while back and I haven't had a chance to repost it yet.

Anyway, here are all the files for anyone who is interested:
CSOD.zip
(389.15 KiB) Downloaded 660 times
I've included: ExpressPCB files (.pcb, .sch); PDFs of the PCB, SCH, toner transfer, layout, and pseudo-silkscreen; images of etched board; images of completed build.

For the pseudo-silkscreen (fakescreen?), I toner transfer it onto the component side using photo paper, soak, and rub off all the paper except a thin layer to make it legible on the component side. If you do this, make sure you flip the image to reverse it.

Finally, here are some photos in case you just want to look: link.

Enjoy! :)

Mike
My website: America's Debate | My effects site: Just one more build...

yeeshkul
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by yeeshkul »

Guys is there any chance to find out whether Gilmour's Power Boost (1972 - 1977) was 9V or 18V version?

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

yeeshkul wrote:Guys is there any chance to find out whether Gilmour's Power Boost (1972 - 1977) was 9V or 18V version?
It was probably 18v, the version i cloned mine after

jzilla
Information

Post by jzilla »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:yup!, used this vero layout, which checked out against the original schematic that you posted.

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/ ... d.jpg.html
i'm thinking of trying this for my first stripboard build. can someone tell me what the red squares on the stripboard represent? eg one is above the left transitor. another to the right of R3.

many thanks!
-j

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

jzilla wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:yup!, used this vero layout, which checked out against the original schematic that you posted.

i'm thinking of trying this for my first stripboard build. can someone tell me what the red squares on the stripboard represent? eg one is above the left transitor. another to the right of R3.

many thanks!
-j
The red squares show where to cut the strips!
:D

jzilla
Information

Post by jzilla »

SPeter wrote:
jzilla wrote:

many thanks!
-j
The red squares show where to cut the strips!
:D
thanks!

GeekMacDaddy
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Gabriel Sound Garage Voxer 33

Post by GeekMacDaddy »

The layout calls for a 200pf cap. I replace that with (or you could put on a switch) a 470pf, and it gives the pedal it's missing bottom. :D

jzilla
Information

Post by jzilla »

GeekMacDaddy wrote:The layout calls for a 200pf cap. I replace that with (or you could put on a switch) a 470pf, and it gives the pedal it's missing bottom. :D
thanks for the tip! what size enclosure would you recommend using btw?

GeekMacDaddy
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Gabriel Sound Garage Voxer 33

Post by GeekMacDaddy »

Should fit into anything.

jzilla
Information

Post by jzilla »

GeekMacDaddy wrote:Should fit into anything.
oh yeah? even a 125B? for some reason i was under the impression it needed a bigger enclosure...