VOX - King Wah  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

really great sounding wah.......I would like bit more travel,but ........ :blackeye :thumbsup

enjoy guts
Boris
Attachments
King wah small.JPG
vox small.JPG
King wah 002.JPG
wox king small].JPG
VOX KING wah small.JPG

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Overlooked and underrated, I had one and got monstrous tone from it.
The television will not be revolutionized.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Whats that the funny looking black bullet part?

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Tantalum Capacitor.

What's the history on these? The insides match a real old Cry Baby wah my cousin handed down to me years ago down to a T.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

phibes wrote:Tantalum Capacitor.

What's the history on these? The insides match a real old Cry Baby wah my cousin handed down to me years ago down to a T.

show us some pictures to compare please???

thanks

Boris

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

this is my version..................original doesnot have curved traces :thumbsup

Boris
Attachments
KING components.JPG
KING.JPG
KING1.JPG

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

That is the same board that is in 90% of Sepulveda, CA Thomas organ Crybaby and Vox V846 wahs. The other 10% of sepulvedas have the "03" Stack of Dimes inductor. About half of the Chicago, Illinois Crybaby's have the TDK board (later ones) and the earlier ones had the Stack of Dimes. I have had good sounding TDK's and bad sounding ones, and good sounding Stack of Dimes and bad sounding ones. With inductance of 400mh-700mh being common in both types. That bullet shaped 4.7uf cap is a Western Electric part that they sometimes used instead of the regular orange and 4.7uf white tantalum cap, or even more rarely a green and white 3.9uf tant. These are all pics of wahs with the same board that I have bought, modded, and sold.
CB1.JPG
CB2.JPG
CB3.JPG
CB4.JPG
CB5.JPG
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

Mr. Bill
Information

Post by Mr. Bill »

The "King" Vox pedals were all part of Thomas Organ's Ampliphonic line, which were meant to be used with band instruments (trumpets, clarinets, etc.). I've seen Italian made ones that were the same as the Italian Vox V486's and Clydes, the only difference was the outer markings.

In general, I find that the TDK inductors that are stamped "JAPAN" sound better than the ones that are not. The Q of the marked coils is better than the unmarked ones.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

If you want to build one :block:
Attachments
VoxKing Wah.LAY].pdf
(67.06 KiB) Downloaded 384 times

arayita
Information

Post by arayita »

ok... but, what about TDK inductor???? :( where do you find one of this?

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

arayita wrote:ok... but, what about TDK inductor???? :( where do you find one of this?

make your own....it is not that difficult :thumbsup
or try e-bay....smallbear........etc.....

Boris

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

more guts......different version :thumbsup
Attachments
kingw4.jpg
kingw4.jpg (42.54 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
kingw.jpg
kingw.jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
kingw2.jpg
kingw2.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 3834 times
kingw3.jpg
kingw3.jpg (40.31 KiB) Viewed 3834 times

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

That is interesting, most I have seen with that rocker and enclosure are early Crybaby's. You are likely to find them with a Halo inductor, to see the Film can in there makes me think it is from '68 or maybe '69. The 47k resistor that parallels the inductor is interesting too, usually it is 33k and ocassionally 100k like in a Clyde McCoy, sometimes you will even find a 36k. Here are some pics of '67 top-logo Crybaby with the shorter, fatter, and more rounded enclosure and regular enclosure '69 Vox Crybaby side by side and some other pics showing the similarities amongst all of the differently branded Italian built Thomas Organ wahs that are essentially the same. I have also included some pics of a Vox Double Sound wah which has a chromed top logo rocker on the later bottom enclosure with a totally different PCB to all other Vox wahs, Italian and US built. A real rarity.
toplogo-top.jpg
toplogo-top.jpg (16.74 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
back-toplogo-crybaby.jpg
back-toplogo-crybaby.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
toplogo-1.jpg
toplogo-1.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
back-69-v846.jpg
back-69-v846.jpg (27.46 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
back-69-crybaby.jpg
back-69-crybaby.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
doublesound bottom.jpg
doublesound bottom.jpg (24.86 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
doublesound gutshot.jpg
doublesound gutshot.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
doublesound top.jpg
doublesound top.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
67crybaby.jpg
67crybaby.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 3831 times
67crypri.jpg
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

jtn191
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jtn191 »

Has anybody measured the inductance and resistance of the ["good sounding"] TDK inductors? From what I've heard there's the ones marked "Japan", others unmarked or "TDK 5103"

As you can see here, the only changes between a King Wah and some others is Re1, transistor type, and inductor type. Also what about part tolerances? Do those old white caps measure lower than what they're marked?

credit to Travis Brown and the aaron nelson gallery

acgrahm
Information

Post by acgrahm »

nice i just got one thats in great shape but when turned on its very soft. any help the switch sounds scratchy when i touch the wires