Top Gear - TG 55 - Synthesizer

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

it would be nice to get this done :roll:

Top Gear TG 55 Synthesizer

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

You cannot escape....

The Goop!![/b][/i]
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

they did not have 5 Kg to goop all boards :applause:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Looks Phat, probably sounds Phatter too.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Looks like Maplin's veroboard, probably the fundamental extractor is gooped!

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

pdf attached (not mine)
would like to find one of these one day but apparently only 12 were built so the odds are against me to say the least...
Attachments
Top Gear Guitar Synthesiser.pdf
(475.42 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

AnomDisturb
Information

Post by AnomDisturb »

Hi Folks,

Came across this thread when doing a Google search re: the Top Gear TG 55. BTW, I don't build pedals.... but just use them... I have a approx 200 pedals in my collection.

I'm the owner of the Top Gear TG 55 pictured in this thread - the guts pic. The other google link is a picture of Graham Massey's TG 55.

I was also contacted by these guys, who wanted to post some info about it. (the top 3 photos - including chassis with "No. 1" written on it are mine. The other pic is the one owned by Graham)

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/topgear/tg55

I have unit No. 1, as you can see. I have been trying for years to find more info about it. I bought it new in Toronto in late 76/early '77 or so. I'm trying piece together a history on this rare unit. For years I thought I had the only one, but discovered one at Sphere studio in France (They bought it at an auction and know noting about it, when they replied to my query).

http://www.sphere-studio.com/Photo.asp?Subject=studio (see top row - 3rd pic from the right)

I then discovered that Graham Massey from the UK techno group 808 State has one too, but he is also searching for info. A prog rock band from Portugal, Tantra, also listed one as being used on two of their albums in the late 70's. I tried to contact the guitar player by email but no reply.

I used mine with my prog-ish band circa '77-'79. At the time, I was looking to buy a Synthi Hi-Fli and one of the guys at Kalua Music in Toronto, Guy Beresford (also of GBX amps, now with Yorkville Sound according to Wikipedia) told me about this unit that he had just seen at a trade show in the UK. I expressed interest and a month or two later it arrived. Had it modded for NA power in the 80's (before that I had a power transformer). The store also eventually carried the Top Gear line of pedals (also rare). According to Analog Tom in his book, Top Gear was a music store on Kensington St. in London.

I'd like to find out who designed and made this thing!

So, if anyone has any info on these rare beasts, please let me know. I can be reached via my website; www.anomalousdisturbances.com

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Terrence (Terry) O'Brien

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

AnomDisturb wrote:Hi Folks,

Came across this thread when doing a Google search re: the Top Gear TG 55. BTW, I don't build pedals.... but just use them... I have a approx 200 pedals in my collection.

I'm the owner of the Top Gear TG 55 pictured in this thread - the guts pic. The other google link is a picture of Graham Massey's TG 55.

I was also contacted by these guys, who wanted to post some info about it. (the top 3 photos - including chassis with "No. 1" written on it are mine. The other pic is the one owned by Graham)

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/topgear/tg55

I have unit No. 1, as you can see. I have been trying for years to find more info about it. I bought it new in Toronto in late 76/early '77 or so. I'm trying piece together a history on this rare unit. For years I thought I had the only one, but discovered one at Sphere studio in France (They bought it at an auction and know noting about it, when they replied to my query).

http://www.sphere-studio.com/Photo.asp?Subject=studio (see top row - 3rd pic from the right)

I then discovered that Graham Massey from the UK techno group 808 State has one too, but he is also searching for info. A prog rock band from Portugal, Tantra, also listed one as being used on two of their albums in the late 70's. I tried to contact the guitar player by email but no reply.

I used mine with my prog-ish band circa '77-'79. At the time, I was looking to buy a Synthi Hi-Fli and one of the guys at Kalua Music in Toronto, Guy Beresford (also of GBX amps, now with Yorkville Sound according to Wikipedia) told me about this unit that he had just seen at a trade show in the UK. I expressed interest and a month or two later it arrived. Had it modded for NA power in the 80's (before that I had a power transformer). The store also eventually carried the Top Gear line of pedals (also rare). According to Analog Tom in his book, Top Gear was a music store on Kensington St. in London.

I'd like to find out who designed and made this thing!

So, if anyone has any info on these rare beasts, please let me know. I can be reached via my website; http://www.anomalousdisturbances.com

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Terrence (Terry) O'Brien
Top Gear shop was in Charing Cross Road as far as I remember. It was designed by a guy who worked at Strings & Things.

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

No I'm wrong, the Top Gear shop was in Denmark Street. Nothing special about it, just a small guitar shop. It's all changed around there now because of the Crossrail line and new Tottenham Court Road station construction.

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

bet they struggled to compete with the Colorsound line. the two TG pedals i have experience with both leave quite a bit to be desired :lol: but this thing still looks really really great.
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:Image

You cannot escape....

The Goop!![/b][/i]

:shock: This is the most beautiful pict I've seen ever period

onebuzz
Information

Post by onebuzz »

Any body work up a vero for this yet? :applause: :mrgreen:

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

onebuzz wrote:Any body work up a vero for this yet? :applause: :mrgreen:
:whappen:

scoop
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by scoop »

onebuzz wrote:Any body work up a vero for this yet? :applause: :mrgreen:
Maybe some ought to do a vero for the fuzz section, from the notebook it looks like just a couple of opamps

onebuzz
Information

Post by onebuzz »

I was just having a little fun with my previous posting. I do appreciate seeing old audio gear though so thanks for posting it. :D

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Do you know how is the pitch to voltage converter?
Is it accurate?

I would be very interested in drawing a pcb for this module if it worth the effort.

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything that works
Completed builds: meatolation, wobolation, ringolation clones, PAiA synths/modulars, dipthonizer clone, MOTM modules, pedal mods and repairs

Post by toneman »

If U'r looking for an easy and accurate (for linear) pitch-to-voltage circuit, check out the old LM2917:

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2917.html#Overview

This is a LINEAR frequency-2-voltage circuit all in one chip. It's big use was in automotive tachometers.

keepbreadboarding...
Tone-to-the-Bone

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

toneman wrote:If U'r looking for an easy and accurate (for linear) pitch-to-voltage circuit, check out the old LM2917:

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2917.html#Overview

This is a LINEAR frequency-2-voltage circuit all in one chip. It's big use was in automotive tachometers.

keepbreadboarding...
NO!!! The 2917 was a dog of a chip. It was designed as a tachometer driver (to apply voltage to an analogue meter in a car dashboard) and it suffered from endless problems including temperature sensitivity (perhaps Little Lance might have a cure for that). I used one in a tone detector in a telephone product back in the 80s. The idea was to get an accurate voltage to represent particular tones on a telephone line. The drift of the thing made it virtually useless (despite trying to design the window comparator that it drove to have temperature compensation). It was susceptible to noise and is certainly NOT the way to achieve pitch extraction.

I have successfully used two approaches for pitch extraction: phase-locked loop detection and zero crossing detection. The advantage of zero crossing detection is that it's less amplitude sensitive than other methods and not affected by wave shape.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"