Kay - Wah Wah

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Mr. Bill
Information

Post by Mr. Bill »

The Univox UniWah also used a variable inductor. May have been the same circuit, as I recall it used 2 or 3 "C" cells. It used the same folded spring concept. The inductor was open at one end and the pedal moved a small ferrite slug, about the size of a nickel, closer to the open end.

It wasn't a very good wah, not enough resonance for my taste. Plastic molded housing was iffy as well. But it also worked as light operated volume pedal. Definitely not true bypass.

matt1970
Information

Post by matt1970 »

Hi, hope im ok posting this on here but i decided to part with my Kay Wah Wah due to my car dying a death and my need for funds to replace it, i have put it on ebay and thought i would mention it on here, i have started it at £50 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1156

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I just ripped some nice gut shots from an ebay auction. I noticed that some of the images here were no longer so I figured I would upload them. Enjoy!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6k8sjh
Note: dont be fooled by the fake ad download buttons. Click on the text that reads: "Click here to start download from sendspace"

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

CHEEZOR wrote:I just ripped some nice gut shots from an ebay auction. I noticed that some of the images here were no longer so I figured I would upload them. Enjoy!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6k8sjh
Note: dont be fooled by the fake ad download buttons. Click on the text that reads: "Click here to start download from sendspace"
Dont know why I can't edit my post, but I wanted to say that the zip contains an image of the factory schematic on the pedal along with the guts.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Very cool, thanks a lot

grantsamu
Information

Post by grantsamu »

Hi there. Just joined the board specifically because I picked up a Kay wah tonight and adore the way it sounds, and I have a question about the mechanical aspects of the pedal. Unless there's something wrong with mine, it returns to its "resting" position when you take your foot off. There are several sweet spots on this thing and I'd like to be able to just dial one in and leave it there. I actually bought it primarily as a tone control and not as a wah (though it's an amazing wah). So the question is...any thoughts on a mechanical mod that would allow me to set a position and leave it there? I suppose I could put some sort of wedge under the pedal that would effectively be the "preset" position, but that's not very practical in a live situation and I'd like to be able to do this with my foot. Also, the weakest link with this guy is definitely the fact that you have to bend down to turn it on. Any thoughts on adding some sort of footswitch? One opti

grantsamu
Information

Post by grantsamu »

Whoops. Accidentally hit the post button before I finished that sentence...what I was getting at is that one option for on-the-fly switching would be to create a dedicated loop for the pedal, but that would entail buying (or making) another box. Anyway, any thoughts on these questions? I'd appreciate the input. Thanks.

agoldoor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by agoldoor »

Hey man... unfortunately because of the actual way this pedal works, I would think that cooking up an electronic mod to get the desired fixed wah tone from this guy would be kind of tricky or involve building another box. The reason it springs back and also the way it works is via that bendy piece of metal inside... so since the mechanism isn't like a pot or something, it's not possible to simply measure a value of the pot and replace the pot with a resistor or some such. Perhaps someone out there knows something I don't, but I have a few of these kay pedals, and the way this wah works is pretty unique.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

agoldoor wrote:Hey man... unfortunately because of the actual way this pedal works, I would think that cooking up an electronic mod to get the desired fixed wah tone from this guy would be kind of tricky or involve building another box. The reason it springs back and also the way it works is via that bendy piece of metal inside... so since the mechanism isn't like a pot or something, it's not possible to simply measure a value of the pot and replace the pot with a resistor or some such. Perhaps someone out there knows something I don't, but I have a few of these kay pedals, and the way this wah works is pretty unique.
I think he is looking for a mechanical solution, not an electrical mod.