Colorsound - Tremolo

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

uncleboko wrote:
ansil wrote:have you seen the fulltone mods done on this pedal. i had mine traced out cause there was no way i was going to go crazy with this thing.

man way to many jumpers he had an unused board in this thing hadn't been populated. and built it i will have to show you the pics soon as my room mate gets up we can take some on his high res camera.

not a lot of mods on it did sub out a fet though instead one of the transistors
What exactly are you saying about jumpers? :roll: :roll: :roll:

he took an original board and didn't use some of the parts in it and used a wire jumper from one part of the pad to the other

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
4 vintage plexi builds
100 jungle kat boosts
5 blues pearl purplexed

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

i have some pics of the front but they are not on this machine will try to post later.

sonicvi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by sonicvi »

Haha, I used to own the pedal in the pics above. It's a newish reissue and it had a volume drop so I added that LPB at the output to boost it up to unity.

sonicvi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by sonicvi »

Dunno who said those are Fulltone mods, but that's how it came from the factory. The latest reissue circuit is not the same as the old ones. It has a JFET in it (that's what the trimpot is for, to bias it).

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
4 vintage plexi builds
100 jungle kat boosts
5 blues pearl purplexed

Post by ansil »

when it was bought it came with a little piece of paper that has a bunch of stuff from mike fuller on it. however makes no difference to me i got the schematic. which isn't the same as the reissue schematic completely different. as i have it too. however it makes no mind to me it was given to me by a mate of mine who deals in vintage and exotic gear he keeps all his paperwork and such together. but alas it isn't working anymore it was part of my gear that shorted out and isn't worth fixing.
i am using a new type tremolo i have never seen before. its got a ceramic oscillator in it.

sonicvi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by sonicvi »

Hmmm, interesting. How long ago did you buy it? I bought in off ebay in 2008 and sold it probably in 2009. It had no such paper with it when I bought it. I can tell from looking at it why it might not be working. The 9V wire to the extra circuit board is missing. The case has a slight dent and paint scratch through the word Colorsound, right?

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
4 vintage plexi builds
100 jungle kat boosts
5 blues pearl purplexed

Post by ansil »

yeah saw the wire thing but no that wasn't it it sustained a heavy voltage spike when all the tornados dropped. i will have to see if i have any pics of the front of it. perhaps this is the one you had. my dealer buddy has been had before not sure when he bought it just know it was advertised fulltone mods and had some sort of paper with it. as i am not a big tremolo guy i just skimmed the paper for a minute and saw fullers name on it and said ok whatever.

so if you have the new schematic we can compare and get down to business on it lol.

ed

sonicvi
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by sonicvi »

No, I didn't trace a schematic. But the extra circuit board is just a Linear Power Booster circuit, so you can use a schematic of that to see where the 9V wire should connect.

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
4 vintage plexi builds
100 jungle kat boosts
5 blues pearl purplexed

Post by ansil »

please see above post. i know about the wire its actually been relocated. no all the parts have been over voltage. my powersupply shot out at 60v and fried a bunch of stuff. this had no real protection circuit. it had a reverse wired snap to a power plug like zvex and such. i got a new trem though i am using and i like it much better.

ChristoMephisto
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ChristoMephisto »

Here's my earlier version, the same as Stephen's
notice the trim pot that's not on the pre-75's

Built a clone of it using MPSA13 and some 5088, changed the Rate pot to reverse audio (250k), kept the Depth at 2M
In mine the trim pot is 100k, so a knob was added and it varies the wave form a bit,
from less choppy to stuttering, way more useful than my original