Mike Matthews - Soul Kiss  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

420R? is 470R is schematic - taking into account 10% tolerance
42R will be 47R - idem
red and violet can be confused..... so the schematic values appear to be right.
Blue Green Gold Gold indeed 6.8 Ohm, as noted in schematic
Blue green Gold Gold would be 5,6 Ohm.....
Crazy the 6,8 (5,6) Ohm resistor, if it would be 680 Ohm or 6k8 it would make sense. 6,8 Ohm is useless and can be jumpered.
But the big question is where is the 10k resistor that -according to the schematic- should be connected to the parallel 10uF + 12k?
That´s not a big question: It is near pin 1 of the chip.

Nobody knows why he used a 100n ceramic cap for input coupling when he used 100n film caps in the filter section.

Alltogether the schematic appears to be right.
Compare it with the Doctor Q and Bassballs schematics and you will see that a 2N5088 will do it.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

Ok, thanks!

I used this one: http://www.csgnetwork.com/resistcolcalc.htm and it's not possible to select gold for the 3rd color...

For the 41 and 420 I was not sure about the color of the first band: white/yellow/light grey? The contrast with the yellow-grey background color is very small...
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The second ring is more important if it is red or violet.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

graemey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by graemey »

It had to be done by someone...

:popcorn:

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

Thanks for the video, interesting device.

Seems dangerous. I would be afraid of swallowing it.

fuzzca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fuzzca »

Hey, great vid Graemey. (As always)

A fine representation of a pro guitarist testing a product with dubious oral qualities.

From what I see in your music room you have a pretty sweet setup.
Cheers!

jessej
Information

Post by jessej »

I bought a Soul Kiss in december 1991 from Manny's Music on 42nd street in New York.

I think I was the only guy in Finland that had one and I rehearsed with it to perfection at the rehaersal studio, skipping my wah pedal for quite many tunes. It was also a vital part of one intro...

it worked very nicely at the rehaersals..

but..

when we had a big gig and I was to use it.. the light's guy dimmed the lights at the intro... and the Soul Kiss light sensor had nothing to work with.. so there I was standing with a big dull tone looking stupid with a gizmo with a cord hanging out from my mouth. :slap:

just my 5c.

:lol:

Great video thou, Graemey!!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

sorry for the dredge, and the newbness of not understanding the schematic, but does the schem suggest that the +9v goes to one end of the LDR and the other end of the LDR goes to the 47R at the base of the xistor?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

rocklander wrote:sorry for the dredge, and the newbness of not understanding the schematic, but does the schem suggest that the +9v goes to one end of the LDR and the other end of the LDR goes to the 47R at the base of the xistor?

I would say so,it looks that way to me.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

okay.. still not there yet, but got to thinking about the no light issue... since there's already volts going up the pipe, why not whack an LED (+apt R) back an inch from the mouth of the pipe.. the LDR would still be enclosed, and the LED would be such that it was outside the mouth for opening/closing.

like so:
Attachments
LED-LDR-soulkiss.jpg
LED-LDR-soulkiss.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

rocklander wrote:okay.. still not there yet, but got to thinking about the no light issue... since there's already volts going up the pipe, why not whack an LED (+apt R) back an inch from the mouth of the pipe.. the LDR would still be enclosed, and the LED would be such that it was outside the mouth for opening/closing.

like so:
I had a nicer idea... use a copper mouth piece and stick the Z.Vex Probe section on, easy enough... Could make a good talk box alternative.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

:oops: LRD=LDR in my pic :(

JuliaDee
Information
my favorite amplifier: 2N5088
Completed builds: Invented and designed: EH-8000 Guitar Synth, E-H Space Drum, Super Space Drum, Crash Pad, Sequencer Drum, Clockworks. Designed: Zildjian Gen-16 Acoustic-Electric Cymbal System.

Post by JuliaDee »

I invented and designed this around 1988. Mike loved it and used to kick out some great jams with it on his piano - it may actually be better suited to keyboards than guitar, since you can have a more stable light source at your keys station. The company name "New Sensor" was inspired by the device. At the time, Mike had no factory, so I had the product assembled at a friend's printing shop in Woodstock, NY.

Unfortunately most of my documents for this project are in now-unreadable and/or corrupted files, so I don't have much apart from the attached PDF, which is of a combo volume/wah version that was never made.

As to someone's question about the choice of capacitors, the input cap is simply for DC blocking, so we don't care much about its absolute value or stability,and a cheap ceramic suffices. The filter section's Q depends on the matching of the two Tee capacitors, so initial accuracy and tracking are important there, hence the use of film caps.

Julia
Attachments
Wah_Vol Schematic.pdf
(27.59 KiB) Downloaded 167 times