Re: Electra - Distortion

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

It is exactly the same as the Locobox Mysto Dysto and basically a Distortion+ followed by a Big-Muff-style tone-control.

It should not be confused with the Electra Distortion schematic floating around (from which a lot of overprized boutique pedals are based on e.g. the Lovepedal COT 50). The Electra Distortion schematic seems to be not from a pedal, instead it seems to have been built in a guitar as can be seen in the advert below.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Donnerbox
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Donnerbox »

yeah I remember those Electra guitars well

you plugged the modules in the back of t he guitar - you could have two at a time - and each had an on/off and a pot that did domething different depending on the effect- phase was speed - distortion was volume etc...
I remember well trying one out when I was about 13 and the salesman trying to explain what TankTone was 8)

How does the Distortion module differ from the stompbox ?

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Donner -

As AG mentioned, the "module" is basically a single transistor with clipping diodes (which pedals like the COT50 have been derived from)....the "pedal distortion" is essentially a D+ with a BM tone control.

Donnerbox
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Donnerbox »

MoreCowbell wrote:Donner -

As AG mentioned, the "module" is basically a single transistor with clipping diodes (which pedals like the COT50 have been derived from)....the "pedal distortion" is essentially a D+ with a BM tone control.
thanks thats what I was wondering - obviously the module has less controls - but I wondered if it was the same distortion engine...