Carlsbro - Suzz Phase

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

I never highlighted any components in green. That was someone else.

What I was asking for is what I wrote above. After that, indeed, all component values would be great to come to a full trace.

When that is done it may be interesting to see what the modifications in your unit involve prior to discarding them as not interesting.

As for the software;
The layout shown is based on your photo's. I used a little paint shop for some perspective correction. After that all I used as Irfan View and MS Paint.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Jazzur
Information

Post by Jazzur »

Heres my DIYLayout design for the SUZZ PHASE with all the mods removed ,
Hey Dirk ... you were pretty close in your guess at the components behind the ribbon cable , pay attention to capacitor C9 it connects vertically between connect traces 6 and 7 , NOT 5 and 6 !!
I was pretty amazed by your guess on the values too.

I have all the values except for these :
D1 (which reads 692 on my meter ) not sure if that helps identify it ??

C4 this is the Red waxy looking one , Can you tell me how to get accurate measurements of capacitors , my meter is the typical (UNI-T UT50A) i haven't removed the caps from the board and suspect that unlike resistors it's not possible ??? any help there please. the C4 cap does have 2 plus signs signifying the polarity though , it has some slightly recognisable short code on it but I can't decipher it yet.

C13 again I haven't taken it from the board , its an old type eggcup and egg shaped one with yellow bottom black waistband and brown top ??? the printing on the board has a plus sign so again this is polarised type.

heres the HIgh res render .png i have exported so far ... Not sure how they will link but I can zoom in and see all the detail , so hope you can too , lets see if it uploads first:

Jazzur
Information

Post by Jazzur »

Hehh that is very small , maybe good for a stamp collector , lets try again :

Jazzur
Information

Post by Jazzur »

hmm I'm not good at this IMG linking but glad I can finally add them (think it takes a month after joining freestomp?)

I can only see the left part on my little laptop , but if you drag it to your desktop or save as .PNG, then open it you can (CTRL + / Command + ) zoom in quite a lot

can someone recommend a good free photo storage site ?? that gives thumbnail links to full size images?

OK heres the other export I did showing the Traces clearly under where the components were:

Jazzur
Information

Post by Jazzur »

I can only apologise (if I could spell it) for the way this appears , like I say the image is all there once you save as/drag to desktop and zoom in !

At least no one is complaining that my images are too small now , tad on the large size maybe :slap:

OK , I also found a stripboard image of the Carlsbros Suzz (sustain) and I think it was Toneman?? who said that the fuzz side of my SUZZ PHASE was actually sustain ... I think it is after looking at this :

My main problem now is making sense of the connectors , INPUT / OUTPUT / 9v / GROUND
I'm thinking
7 is 9v
8 is ground
5 GAIN out
4 INPUT
9 Phase OUT
10 ???
17 I think it is a bypass switch on my mods , the tracer underneath 17 is cut and a red wire has been added to the other side of the cut ???

I will be making a simple diagram that ignores the ribbon cable and shows the routing from the main PCB (my layout) to the switches and pots on the original setup that I have .

OK heres that SUZZ (sustain diagram) for a point of interest to confirm that My SUZZ PHASE is half SUSTAIN ... intersting that it gas 2 GAIN and 3 SUSTAIN outs ??

Jazzur
Information

Post by Jazzur »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:I never highlighted any components in green. That was someone else.

What I was asking for is what I wrote above. After that, indeed, all component values would be great to come to a full trace.

When that is done it may be interesting to see what the modifications in your unit involve prior to discarding them as not interesting.

As for the software;
The layout shown is based on your photo's. I used a little paint shop for some perspective correction. After that all I used as Irfan View and MS Paint.
OH ...just saw your reply after adding my layout pictures:
Ah yeah my mistake , I though you added the green ... either way I added that picture to EAGLE and started to add to what you had done , but unfortunately the picture was too big and had to be in a special 256 colour format to be ADDED to EAGLE ... so I started my own from fresh as my first go with DIYLayout .. good program (i need to fin extra libraries though?) I think the work was worth while , its an easy clever program with nice interface... I wish you could create your own layers too.. but back to the point... I only concentrated on the MAIN PCB as this the original part , from there I hope to make sense and solve the issues with the MODS on my UNIT aswell as build a clone .. as soon as i can identify the last few components , just those two caps and the main DIODE to work out . Of course I will make sense of the spaghetti wiring to see where the original SUZZ PHASE connections should go ??

OK thanks for your help so far and am glad to help share this (what seems to be ) rare design ...

Like I mentioned in my first post the FUZZ side is not MODDED / WORKING correctly ... but I was given it as a PHASER for my Fender Rhodes , and it is a very coarse cool (Ithink four stage?) phaser ... The added Mod pot is Depth and I think any clone should make use of this ... as for the second KNOB next to the GAIN i am thinking and hoping it is SUSTAIN or maybe COLOUR? It doesn't work anyway but hopefully get to the bottom of that too. The L.e.d was connected on route to that MOD and as the l,e,d, had stopped working , it might be the reason the knob doesn't work?

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Professor SourTone »

Innards of Suzz Phase

https://smg.photobucket.com/user/spangl ... t=3&page=1

This is a real "spacerock" pedal with fuzz and a long sweep. Not a lot of bass.
Attachments
Carlsbro Suzz Phase component side
Carlsbro Suzz Phase component side
Carlsbro Suzz Phase guts
Carlsbro Suzz Phase guts
Carlsbro Suzz Phase pcb
Carlsbro Suzz Phase pcb