EHX - Deluxe Octave Multiplexer

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

alessandro wrote:Hi Scruffie,could you please repost the redrawn schematic?When I click on the file the page is empty!Thanks!
KAPUTEPALLA
Right click and "save as".

alessandro
Information

Post by alessandro »

I've "right clicked and saved as" but the image is too small!There must be a problem in the gif file!Please repost it!Thanks!!!!! :hmmm:

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Works fine for me... shows up when I click on it, are you sure it's not your computer?

The image certainly shouldn't be too small, did you click 'Save Target as' or just save the image, depends on the browser to the options available.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Had a shot at tracing out the PCB for this from some shots at DIY Stompboxes (I was asked not to post them here, go over there if you wanna see them)

I made a bitttt of a mistake in the image program when doing it though and this was the best image I could salvage without starting again and seeing as it was going to need redrawing anyway as it was just a draft, I figured it'd do.

There's some connections i've missed off that I just couldn't see and there might be some mistakes, but with the redrawn schematic, it should be possible to complete it.

Regards the Redrawn Schematic, i'd missed off a connection from Pin 7 or U11 (311) to Pin 3 of 13 (4013).

Anyway, if someone wants to collaborate on this, it'd be handy to get it finished.
Attachments
Deluxe Trace 5.jpg

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

I think I might have got it! Here's the components placement, i'll try and redo the PCB to include the corrections this brought to light.

I've left out all the power section for now.
Attachments
Deluxe Components.jpg

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Updated PCB, 98% Sure it's alright now.
Attachments
Deluxe Octave PCB.gif

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Maybe a day late... but this is an old one.... issue A
needs a good home...
EHXDM issue A.jpg
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Dooh... how'sa bout' the flipside?
still needs a good home... will trade for a FuzzFace shell...
EH DM issue A.jpg

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

That's not the Deluxe Version, just the Standard Octave Multiplexer... seemingly missing a large amount of its components.

I'd consider tradeing for it, but I don't have a Fuzz Face shell i'm afraid... nor is it worth one (Aren't they like $50 each?)

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Scruffie wrote:That's not the Deluxe Version, just the Standard Octave Multiplexer... seemingly missing a large amount of its components.

I'd consider tradeing for it, but I don't have a Fuzz Face shell i'm afraid... nor is it worth one (Aren't they like $50 each?)
Missing parts? Ya think? It is easier to read the values right off the board though... :blackeye
Sorry, I realized that it was the Deluxe OM you were discussing after I had posted...
I'd also buy a FF shell if I could find one.
So this little board is worth whatever I can get for it...
Maybe even free to a good home...

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

GuitarlCarl wrote:
Scruffie wrote:That's not the Deluxe Version, just the Standard Octave Multiplexer... seemingly missing a large amount of its components.

Missing parts? Ya think? It is easier to read the values right off the board though... :blackeye
Sorry, I realized that it was the Deluxe OM you were discussing after I had posted...
I'd also buy a FF shell if I could find one.
So this little board is worth whatever I can get for it...
Maybe even free to a good home...
:lol: Just a few.

That is true, I haven't seen silkscreened part numbers on many of the old EHX Effects... I wonder if the values can be trusted... not hard to trace through though eh.

I think you can buy FF Shells from Dunlop but they pricey... best bet would be to grab a second hand Dunlop Fuzz Face probably, unless someone else knows where to grab them.

How did you end up with this PCB anyway? What happened to the rest of the pedal! :mrgreen:

I think I can give it a good home... well atleast the missing parts! Been looking for a place to buy EHX Enclosures actually.

sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

has scruffie's pcb been tested by someone? looking forward to build this

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg V4!!!!

Post by Liquids »

I find it hard to want to trust these schematics, but, I guess if I venture to breadboard them I'll find out just how well they work or not...

I will say that there looks to be a broken trace/pad between the "U11" 311 pin 7 (scruffie's schematic designation) and the 4.7M resistor/R84 on the image of the traces. Not that that is comprehensive, just something I noticed.

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Liquids »

Liquids wrote: I will say that there looks to be a broken trace/pad between the "U11" 311 pin 7 (scruffie's schematic designation) and the 4.7M resistor/R84 on the image of the traces. Not that that is comprehensive, just something I noticed.
Sorry, now a minute later I realize this has been addressed already.

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Liquids »

Scruffie - I just noticed that there is not a 'clear' dot/connection at the junction of R46 R47 and D17 with pin 2 of 311 U12. I looked over the traces and it appears that would be correct, wanted to make the note (since I'm working with this circuit right now).

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Liquids wrote:Scruffie - I just noticed that there is not a 'clear' dot/connection at the junction of R46 R47 and D17 with pin 2 of 311 U12. I looked over the traces and it appears that would be correct, wanted to make the note (since I'm working with this circuit right now).
I just had a look at what I drew from and the redraw, this would be because there was just basically a blob on the original schematic and I couldn't distinguish between the two so left it to the user, now we have a partial trace drawn it's possible to be more sure as you've discovered.

None of these redraws are infalible, they took a long time, I was working from poor quality originals (which aren't always true to the effect anyway) and with the time they took mistakes were bound to pop up (i'm amazed I made as few as I did) so as you are doing, to any that use them, use with caution and double check.

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Liquids »

Scruffie wrote: I just had a look at what I drew from and the redraw, this would be because there was just basically a blob on the original schematic and I couldn't distinguish between the two so left it to the user, now we have a partial trace drawn it's possible to be more sure as you've discovered.

None of these redraws are infalible, they took a long time, I was working from poor quality originals (which aren't always true to the effect anyway) and with the time they took mistakes were bound to pop up (i'm amazed I made as few as I did) so as you are doing, to any that use them, use with caution and double check.
I never noticed it on the original either! I thought when I saw both - what a funny way to draw that...I actually took your image and re-routed it on my drawing originally, for clarity, the inncorrect way! That is, until I started to debug...thankfully it caught my eye and I thought, I wonder...and sure enough.

The time and effort you put into all of your redraws if so greatly appreciated, and I refer to them often! It makes life

I more so just want to share back with you (and others) if/when I stumble upon something. Thanks again Scruffie :hug:

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Liquids wrote:
Scruffie wrote: I just had a look at what I drew from and the redraw, this would be because there was just basically a blob on the original schematic and I couldn't distinguish between the two so left it to the user, now we have a partial trace drawn it's possible to be more sure as you've discovered.

I never noticed it on the original either! I thought when I saw both - what a funny way to draw that...I actually took your image and re-routed it on my drawing originally, for clarity, the inncorrect way! That is, until I started to debug...thankfully it caught my eye and I thought, I wonder...and sure enough.

The time and effort you put into all of your redraws if so greatly appreciated, and I refer to them often! It makes life

I more so just want to share back with you (and others) if/when I stumble upon something. Thanks again Scruffie :hug:
Haha, it's one of those things I picked up on doing the EHX draws, they like to throw in red herrings (one of the percussion effects I redrew caused a bit of a problem here with analoguru then when I looked later I realised i'd drawn it 'wrong' as I had two copies of the same schematic with each slightlyyy different and i'd used the red herring version!) and there was a lot of questionable connections, on most I tried to get a gut shot to confirm what I wasn't sure of if I remember (been almost a year since I did these!).

Well i'm really glad someone is getting good use out of them, to be honest, at the time I drew them I think they were one of the few things keeping me sane but I look back now and i'm glad I did it, I hope they help some people out!

Definitley share back, i'm not infallible, I knew a lot less about electronics then than I do now so it was blind drawing, you catching it out will hopefully help others and I don't take it as a "you got it wrong, I know more than you" in the slightest... while I have detached slightly from cloning the old EHX effects so much and may not update my drawings for a while, I still find them very interesting.

Can I ask though out of curiosity... what are you doing with this design? I assume using that input detector sine output thangy, less curious of your intentions, more, this design is an interesting one and very clever which is glossed over as being too complicated for the purpose.

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Liquids »

Scruffie wrote: Can I ask though out of curiosity... what are you doing with this design? I assume using that input detector sine output thangy, less curious of your intentions, more, this design is an interesting one and very clever which is glossed over as being too complicated for the purpose.
I like the compressor circuitry a lot for anything involving triggering; though sometimes it seems a little 'too much' I haven't found a simple work around. It's what howard davis used in a few designs - it's in the DOM, the Attack Decay, and the EH guitar synth, possibly others.

I've mostly been screwing with it in part or in full for attempts at triggering PLLs and other CMOS stuff.

The cost/benefit ratio of any complex circuitry vs another always depends on the builder. (= Just because a circuit contains more than 20 parts doesn't make it inelegant! It just means fewer people want to clone or debug it. :D

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Liquids »

Can anyone else post good high-res shot of at least the component side? I believe there are some component errors, particularly in the tracking filter section, but I'd like to be sure, and the current collections of images here and around the net leave a little bit to question.

Does anyone here OWN one?