Replica Industries - Fuzzrite by Mossrite

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

RnFR wrote:any lead on that jordan pedal?
just a heads up- if it's the one in a plastic case they already dissected it over a DIYS, so you might be inclined to put up something else. thanks for the pics!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

Rorer714 wrote:There is NO information about the pedal, or Replica Industries, on the internet. However, oddly enough, I did recognize the name Replica Industries when I saw the auction.
I had the same when I read the name in your post... I recognize the name from something I read (or did I see that auction too?)
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Blues Junior
Completed builds: None yet. Some successful repairs though, which is a step in the right direction.

Post by Rorer714 »

Sickle wrote:
analogguru wrote:Maybe god had mercy ?
You're too much, man..

If god had mercy then he would have told me that the pics were 4MB - or better, that it was the spaces in the file names that were causing the problems. The 4MB pics were not the problem, although they would load slow on a non-broadband connection. A batch of 4MB pics, while not a good idea, should not be a problem on a good broadband connection. But not all broadband connections are what they are cracked up to be, and I forget that there are still some people on dial up connections; where a batch of 4mb pics would simply not load. Had I known they were 4MB, I certainly would have resized them. It's hard to tell on my fast connection because they upload instantly. Unless I copied the images to a file folder and then looked in the folder to see the sizes (and why would I do that?) then I wouldn't know. I just plug the camera in and hit upload, like most people do. I've never had 4MB pictures come out of a camera before. They're usually around 150k-750k; nothing in that range would cause problems with anything but a dial-up connection, and if you are still on dial up then you have more problems than a forum page not loading. I was using someone else's camera, and it is a better one than mine. The pictures probably come out with more resolution that I was used to. It will never happen again. I can't believe people are still talking about it. Must be a slow day.

But the real answer is that there is no mercy in this life.

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: None yet. Some successful repairs though, which is a step in the right direction.

Post by Rorer714 »

RnFR wrote:
RnFR wrote:any lead on that jordan pedal?
just a heads up- if it's the one in a plastic case they already dissected it over a DIYS, so you might be inclined to put up something else. thanks for the pics!
No it's not plastic, it's the rare on in the metal case with the trumpet picture on it. The story is that they made 700 of them, at most. But I can't verify that. It sounds really nice though, and has its own sound which is something that I really like. There was one on eBay last month for a BIN of around $75, but it was just the case with some DIY project inside of it. Not the original guts. I was going to buy it anyway, for a spare case, but I forgot. I don't think anyone bought it.

I'm almost done with the pics. I know it's been a while but it's pretty hectic around here. Taking dozens of pics, and opening up pedals to take gutshots is simply not something that is going to occur with any rapidity for me right now. Especially considering that I already did it once and the pics were not useable. But the results will be good, nice, clear, well lit images.

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Rorer714 »

DiscoFreq wrote:
Rorer714 wrote:There is NO information about the pedal, or Replica Industries, on the internet. However, oddly enough, I did recognize the name Replica Industries when I saw the auction.
I had the same when I read the name in your post... I recognize the name from something I read (or did I see that auction too?)
dunno?

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

Ah, then the Jordan is this one (with gut shots):
http://filters.muziq.be/model/jordan/j700

I think the 700 comes from the model number, not from the number they made...
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

branhan
Information

Post by branhan »

That Jordan J-700 w/ the trumpet logo that C. Wright dissected and repaired and posted the gut shots of over at DIYS actually belongs to me - I've been doing a bit of additional research on it, and happened upon this thread...pleased that there are at least a couple of dozen people on the planet who have heard of this obscure piece of stompbox history! Just wanted to clarify that my J-700, pictured at DIYS, is not in a plastic case...definitely metal - it's a pretty rough and tumble little box.

Here's the backstory on mine, if anyone's interested. I grew up in a suburb of Nashville TN and lived next door to a Nashville session guitarist named Greg Galbraith (played on a lot of country albums, e.g. Travis Tritt's "Country Club"). My mom's a piano teacher, and for awhile they swapped lessons for their kids: my mom taught his daughter piano and he taught me some guitar. I always loved going over there because he smoked a pipe and his basement smelled awesome! Anyway, we only studied with him for a few months. He had this non-functional Jordan pedal in his closet, and on day he just gave it to me with a kinda, "here kid - this thing don't work, but maybe you can do something with it!" It's still got the original warranty card, and the original, hand-written $25 price sticker on the box. I've hung on to it all these years - that was probably about 1994, when I was about 15? - and couldn't figure it out on my own...I know nothing about electronics, so when I couldn't get it to work with a battery or an AC adapter, it went it my "gear tub" where it has rested up until the time I met C. Wright here in Dayton and he said he'd have a crack at repairing it!

To be clear, I'm very pleased with the results. As Chris said on the DIYS forum, the circuit is pretty much like an MXR distortion +, and so is the tone (I think it's also reminiscent of a RAT or a tubescreamer, depending on what you dial in with the two knobs). Nothing life-changing, but it's obscure, it sounds great, it looks ridiculously cheeseball in a vintage-y-cool kinda way...I've been leaning toward the Line 6 modeling gear lately, but am enough of a tube amp/pedal nut that I'm hanging onto most of my existing gear, and this is one pedal that I'm really pleased to own and to have "brought back to life" (well, of course Chris brought it back to life, but only because I brought it to him first!) to rock another day.

Final note: I'd be glad to entertain any questions about the pedal, or provide additional pictures if there is any interest, although Chris detailed it pretty well on that other forum.

Peace everybody!