DOD - 230 ( Noise Gate )

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

soundclone wrote:can i use Tl072 instead Tl022?
Yes, infact it'll probably be more suitable.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Hang on a second, just noticed that the 1uF Cap in my Overlay is orientated wrong, the Positive is going to ground :oops:

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

Hi all! Anyone can tell me what difference would be if I use a TL74 instead of the two ICs? I suppose it should be some difference if DOD did in that way..they both are dual jfet-input ICs, is that big?
Cheers!

Emanuele.

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

Emanuele wrote:Hi all! Anyone can tell me what difference would be if I use a TL74 instead of the two ICs?
One TL74 instead if two dual opamps will work just fine. I guess the way DOD did it was just cheaper.

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

(How annoying it is not to be able to edit responses anymore! :( )

ddpawel
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800 2203

Post by ddpawel »

Some time ago I built this gate noise. As an optical element, I used the LED and photoresistor. The problem is that the gate works very, very slow when it comes to the high-gain pedals. Can I you use something faster such as H11F1, H11F2 or H11F3 (optocoupler consist of LED and very fast FET, approximately 15 us !!!)? What changes in the circuit would it require?

birgitay
Information

Post by birgitay »

Bu proje yarım kaldı herhalde . Deneyen çalıştıran oldumu ?

trztrz
Information

Post by trztrz »

Hello,
I just have been given this pedal without the footswitch hélas... There's only two cables flying, I've plugged them into a footswich coming from an amp with only two points to solder on but it produces an horrible hummm... I suppose that I should get another swich, maybe a 3PDT...
As I know nothing about shematics I cannot get answer in my question by reading the previous post, does anybody have a picture of this swich ?
Thanks for your patience, sorry about that, I 'm not an electronic guy but I want to learn !!!
All my best from france

andyhooper
Information

Post by andyhooper »

hello everybody. I've built this noise gate and the problem I'm having is that it "works extremely well". I have a volume boost when it is engaged yet no distortion, and it cuts the sound too quickly, even with the 500k pot fully open. Any solutions for this? I used a 3mm red led

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

@andyhooper: What kind of LDR or optocoupler did you use?

andyhooper
Information

Post by andyhooper »

I used one that is the same size as the LED. The smaller kind. I'll check the light/dark resistance and let you know.

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

More interesting is the T-off time of the ldr. Probably it is too short, making the mute transition of the gate too fast. Try a slower one.

andyhooper
Information

Post by andyhooper »

I was just wondering...since the gate opens when the LED is on, wouldn't it have something to do with the "shut off" (if that makes any sense) time of the red led"? The gate opens, as far as I could understand by seeing the circuit working, when the led turns on because of the signal flowing through the circuit. So would it make sense to try to make the LED more "sensitive" to the guitar's signal going through the circuit? So that it takes more time for it to completely turn off. This is a very interesting circuit. Like an envelope follower used tu turn on the gate.

andyhooper
Information

Post by andyhooper »

Sorry if I got the terms "open" and "close" wrong. What I meant is that the gate is inactive when the led is on and it is affecting the ldr. when the led is off; meaning no signal going through the circuit; the gate is active, thus eliminating any noise going through

andyhooper
Information

Post by andyhooper »

So...would there be any way to make the LED more "sensitive". Like making it slowly turning off. By watching the circuit in action that is what I understand would make the gate more responsive and reliable. That is s far as the gate function. The volume boost I guess would need a different aproach to be solved...which I read could be changing one of the resistors

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

I recommend that you try an ldr that has a larger T-off time, meaning that its slower in turning off.

daniel.madeireira
Information

Post by daniel.madeireira »

daniel.madeireira
Information

Post by daniel.madeireira »

shalebridge
Information

Post by shalebridge »

I haven't built this one yet, but I already know I don't need the switch. How would I leave it out without screwing with the rest of the circuit?

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

foo zen trader wrote:Hi!

I've made a layout for this thing with some help of the guys over at DIY-Musikding.
Built it and works great!!!

Enjoy,

Foo
download/file.php?id=3770
Too bad this attachment is no longer available.