Myths, Legends and the Mojo of the Dallas Rangemaster

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

You're welcome man.
I made the germanium booster to use it with my vht special 6 head wich is a single ended small amp.
I had some trouble finding the right overdrive for it and, in the end, a trebly drive is the best for this small amps: rat was too bassy, tube screamer too middy and muddy....

I had a valve junior combo and I liked it a lot (it is more marshall and dark sounding compared to the vht, wich is fendery) and it sounded very good with a rat (of course it got super high gain 8) ); sadly the rat sounded bad with the vht, so I sold it (it was a chinese one, so nothing to cry about).

anyway, even if "treble booster" is not really the right name, this kind of effect takes off bass frequencies and sometimes (I hate to admit this tho) this is all you need.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I agree, raw valve/tube distortion tends to have alot of bass frequencies present in it, something I've noticed while playing around with valve/tube based distortion pedals...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I've just been doing a quick test of my breadboarded Rangemaster Circuit with my oscilloscope and signal-generator, and I think I have discovered something which I thought I would share with you guys, firstly, my signal generator has a Low-Impedance output (I think it's something like 50 Ohms), okay now you might be wondering why I mentioned that?, well as we know the output impedance of an electric guitar with passive pickups, say a Fender Stratocaster, tends to be fairly high, I'm guessing that it's the combination of the pickup's impedance in parallel with the DC resistance of the volume control, say 250k for argument's sake, I'm probably wrong though, well 50 Ohms is a fraction of that, I've read that the Rangemaster seems to act more like a midrange boost rather than a treble boost, and I think I know why, the input of the Rangemaster appears to be loading the output of the guitar and causing a loss of treble frequencies, I found that when I connected up the output of my signal-generator to the input of the Rangemaster, the circuit did indeed behave like a treble booster, my conclusion is that to get the circuit to work as a treble booster, you need to put a buffer in between the guitar and the Rangemaster's circuit.... :thumbsup

You could implement the buffer as an additional Germanium transistor connected as an emitter follower, or you could use a P-Channel J-Fet (for a positive ground circuit using an OC44)... :thumbsup

I swept the signal-generator frequency from about 100Hz to 10kHz, and found that at 100Hz I had about unity-gain (input cap was a 4n7 and a 1nF in parallel making a total of about 5n7) when I swept the frequency up to 10kHz, the gain steadily increased until it was at maximum at 10kHz, here's a list of the components I used:

Resistors:

X1 4k7/ 5% 1W Carbon Film.

X1 68k/ 5% 1W Carbon Film.

X1 470K/ 5% 1W Carbon Film.

Pots:

X1 10k 24mm Alpha.

Capacitors:

X1 1nF.

X1 4n7.

X1 10nF.

X2 47uF/63V RB Electro.

Transistor:

X1 OC44 Hfe= 70 Leakage Current= 0.340 mA (As currently measured by my semiconductor analyzer).

Supply Voltage= -9.14V

Transistor Collector Voltage= -3.52V

Input Signal Level (Sine Waveform)= 140mV Peak-To-Peak (Note: Signal level was kept constant).

Output Signal Level At 10kHz= 6.5V Peak-To-Peak (Note: The output waveform was slightly clipped on the top half).
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

DrNomis wrote: Transistor:

X1 OC44 Hfe= 70 Leakage Current= 0.340 mA (As currently measured by my semiconductor analyzer).
That's quite a lot of leakage for an OC44. My Valvos and Mullards don't leak much at all..

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I've actually got 4 OC44s, the one with the most leakage measures about .600mA on my Semiconductor Analyzer, most of them seem to give an Hfe reading of about 60 or so.... :thumbsup

Maybe I need to get some better OC44s or maybe some OC75, which apparently were used in the original Rangemasters..... :thumbsup

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

OC44s and OC71s were used in original Rangemasters. Your leaky OC44s might be good for a MKII Tone Bender.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I've got some good news though, I've found an RCA Germanium transistor that gives these readings on my Semiconductor Analyzer:

Hfe: 126

Leakage: 0.09mA (90 micro-amps).

Using a resistance substitution wheel for the 68k resistor, I found that with the 4k7 resistor changed to 5k6, all I needed to do was change the 68k resistor to 47k and I end up with the transistor biasing with -6.8V on it's collector, so I think I'll use this RCA transistor instead, it should work fine in this circuit... :thumbsup

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

And seeing that I was thinking of building a Mk3 Tonebender anyway, I think I'll do that, cheers Electric Warrior.... :thumbsup

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

DrNomis wrote: Using a resistance substitution wheel for the 68k resistor, I found that with the 4k7 resistor changed to 5k6, all I needed to do was change the 68k resistor to 47k and I end up with the transistor biasing with -6.8V on it's collector, so I think I'll use this RCA transistor instead, it should work fine in this circuit... :thumbsup
A lot of transistors work fine in that circuit. What voltage did you get with stock values?
DrNomis wrote:And seeing that I was thinking of building a Mk3 Tonebender anyway, I think I'll do that, cheers Electric Warrior.... :thumbsup
Might be too leaky for Q1 and Q2 in a MK3, but you might like them Q3.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Electric Warrior wrote:
DrNomis wrote: Using a resistance substitution wheel for the 68k resistor, I found that with the 4k7 resistor changed to 5k6, all I needed to do was change the 68k resistor to 47k and I end up with the transistor biasing with -6.8V on it's collector, so I think I'll use this RCA transistor instead, it should work fine in this circuit... :thumbsup
A lot of transistors work fine in that circuit. What voltage did you get with stock values?

It measured around -4.1V or so on the transistor's collector with the stock resistor values.... :thumbsup

For such a simple circuit, I'm really surprised at how hard it is to get sounding right..... :hmmm:

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

Simon, is it still not sounding good after your resistor substitutions?
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

PokeyPete wrote:Simon, is it still not sounding good after your resistor substitutions?

Yeah, for some reason I'm not getting the gain versus frequency characteristics as per this article:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/r ... er/drm.htm

I still can't work out why my build in particular doesn't seem to follow what's written in the above construction article, also, the weird thing is that when I use a 4n7 cap as the input cap the sound thins out a little, then when I change the 4n7 to 3n3, or 2n2 the sound fattens up again, I would have thought that reducing the value of the input cap would make the sound progressively more trebly..... :scratch: :thumbsup

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Is your amp breaking up? With a clean amp it does sound like a treble boost for me. With a cranked one it gets a bit more midrangey.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

Simon, I just re-read the article that you linked. It seems that the "effectiveness" of this circuit greatly depends on
the amp's input design, and probably by the guitar pickups. Seems like it will make a difference whether you play
a Les Paul or a Strat though it; and, also, the amp used. Try a different guitar. Try a different amp. Any changes?
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I'll give that a try Pokey Pete.... :thumbsup

Electric Warrior, I was using my Rangemaster with my 5 Watt Legacy amp, on it's own the amp gets a slight breakup, but when I use the Rangemaster, there's alot more crunch and it's very midrangey in tone, I'll have to do a soundclip so you can hear what it sounds like..... :thumbsup

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Funny that you're having problems. I always thought of the rangemaster as an easy circuit. Just pop in a transistor and it works :D Most OC and japanese types worked well for me. Q1C voltage didn't change much at all. Did you have the volume pot turned down when you measured?

I found that it works equally well with single coils and humbuckers. Might be differnt with active pickups.
It does boost a lot of midrange (yours should have a tad less midrange with the 47k as you changed the high pass filters' cutoff frequency). Here's frequency response of the high pass filter:
Attachments
high pass filter.png

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: I build and sell my own :)

Post by kleuck »

allesz wrote: I made the germanium booster to use it with my vht special 6 head wich is a single ended small amp.
I had some trouble finding the right overdrive for it and, in the end, a trebly drive is the best for this small amps: rat was too bassy, tube screamer too middy and muddy....
anyway, even if "treble booster" is not really the right name, this kind of effect takes off bass frequencies and sometimes (I hate to admit this tho) this is all you need.
Hello allesz :hug:
Did'nt you try to lower some cathode bypass caps in the VHT ?
Randall Aïken said :
Q: Is there any advantage to using solder with a 2% silver content?
A: Yes. Silver solder keeps werewolves away from your amp.

allesz
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by allesz »

Hallo Jecko!
I still have to perform that mod, but my little diy time is stolen from low voltage projects: I am working right now on some pt2399 projects and a photo resistor wah..... the rangemaster alike was just a breadboard experiment that in the end sounded so good that I could not resist boxing it.
The problems with tube amps is that you can't use a bredboard and you can't always turn it up to listen if what you have done is good or not....

kleuck
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: I build and sell my own :)

Post by kleuck »

We are off-topic, so i send you a mp.
Randall Aïken said :
Q: Is there any advantage to using solder with a 2% silver content?
A: Yes. Silver solder keeps werewolves away from your amp.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Sorry I've taken ages to reply back to your posts, I had to look after a couple of dogs for a mate of mine while she was away attending her sister's wedding, anyway I'm back now.... :thumbsup

I'm starting to think that the problems I've been having in getting my Rangemaster to sound right were caused by the pickups in my Mexican Fender Strat, they're standard single coils but I think they're a bit hot and harsh sounding, I just finished installing three Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in my Strat and I honestly think that they have improved the tone I'm getting out of my guitar, they're a bit lower in output compared to the originals, more to the point, the annoying background hum is gone, so I'm going to keep persevering with my Rangemaster build, I was originally going to include a switch to select between 5 different input caps, but my build seems to work best with a 5n6 input cap, stay tuned for a demo clip..... :thumbsup

Oh, before I forget, thank you guys for all the help, much appreciated..... :thumbsup