Myths, Legends and the Mojo of the Dallas Rangemaster

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

JHS wrote:Eric said, he used an OC75 equipped RM, a borrowd LP Std. and a JTM45 with KT66 tubes, normal input, for most of the recordings and IMHO it sounds very good on the Beano album, considering it was 1965 and compared to the crappy sound on Beatles record from this time.
JHS
:shock:
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Every guitarplayer knows what type of equipment he used for a recording session or in his career.

If somebody ask you and you don't want to talk 12 hours about your equipment (you've done it at least a thousand times before), the best answer is "I can't remember" or "I'don't know".

JHS

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Every guitarplayer knows what type of equipment he used for a recording session or in his career.
And does he also know which trensistors were used inside ?:
Eric said, he used an OC75 equipped RM,...
I doubt that...

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

JHS wrote:A lot of European guitar players used the Rangemaster with succes and RM equipped with OC75, NKT275 or OC44 can sound quite different.
I've never seen a original RM photo with an NKT275 in it stock anyway. Anyone have a photo with?
JofZ wrote: The book states a guitar into the amp, no pedals at all!
I've heard that he made this statement, and was the inspiration for this thread. For most the album he's not using anything. In fact maybe the most memorable track, "Hideaway" sounds just like a LP into a Marshall.
It does sound like he used something on a couple of tracks, but it's very possible he used a small practice amp for those tracks in question. It is very much that tone, not the tone of a mid size combo pushed into overdrive by a RM.

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

analogguru wrote:
Eric said, he used an OC75 equipped RM,...
I doubt that...

analogguru
+1, I highly doubt Eric even knew what kind of tubes were in the amp going into the session. I would guess it needed to be re-tubed and the 66's were just a set on hand. That might even account for the fuzz like tone on those few tracks. The stock tubes failing.

This actually makes sense, the volume level on those tracks is a bit low. But then at the very least you would think he would have remembered that the amp was having issues, unless he was in love with the crappy tone and someone like the producer pulled a switch on him? EC: "Wow this amp sounds so much better today! What changed? Producer: "We thought you might like the sound of it with KT66's in it".

teleman
Information

Post by teleman »

Yeah, Clapton doesn't seem to be much of a gearhead. I just read his autobiography and he talks about guitars a little but not a word about effects or amps. I think a great number of good players just use whatever works for them. Tone is in the fingers, not in the feet right?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Tone is in the fingers, not in the feet right?
+1
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

:shock: $5.000,-- for this noisy piece of shit.... :shock:

...but still no NKT275. What is shown is an OC71, the "audio"-transistor of the OC-series. Interesting that it is in a metal case and should be from the first series. (OC71 normally came in the black glass-case.) This means, that Dallas started with the "right" audio-part (OC71) and switched later to the RF-part (OC44) which he could get cheaper, cause nobody wanted to use them anymore. In the early 60´s everybody in the industry switched to the AF-series or even silicon-transistors for RF-use.

It is possible, that the OC71 gave a slightly "smoother" result.

analogguru

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

analogguru wrote::shock: $5.000,-- for this noisy piece of shit.... :shock:

...but still no NKT275. What is shown is an OC71, the "audio"-transistor of the OC-series. Interesting that it is in a metal case and should be from the first series. (OC71 normally came in the black glass-case.) This means, that Dallas started with the "right" audio-part (OC71) and switched later to the RF-part (OC44) which he could get cheaper, cause nobody wanted to use them anymore. In the early 60´s everybody in the industry switched to the AF-series or even silicon-transistors for RF-use.

It is possible, that the OC71 gave a slightly "smoother" result.

analogguru
Yep, its freaking nuts !

Someone paid $4,000 a few months back though, so I don't doubt that this guy will get $5k ...

If I had one I'd sell it too... :shock:

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 0370497532
Rangemaster prices are out of control :mrgreen:
but nice photos. inspired me to draw up a layout. hope I got it all right..
Attachments
rangemaster.png
rangemaster.png (59.94 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

The schematic in the auction makes me laugh. Someone thinks those brown things are resistors!
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

What is with that transistor? I taught that oc44 trannies are black whitout "heatshrink".

svstee
Information

Post by svstee »

OK, stupid question I know, but since the PNP RM has the positive ground, can I power it from a daisy chain with all the other pedals on my board?

svstee
Information

Post by svstee »

No, just a simple daisy chain from a VS 1spot.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

You can use a simple voltage inverter chip to make a negative voltage from the positive supply, then it can be powered from a daisy chain.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

blanik
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by blanik »

JHS wrote:Every guitarplayer knows what type of equipment he used for a recording session or in his career.

If somebody ask you and you don't want to talk 12 hours about your equipment (you've done it at least a thousand times before), the best answer is "I can't remember" or "I'don't know".

JHS

i have to disagree with that, i did lots of recording in the last 20 year, most of it a lot more sober than those guys used to do it and i can't remember what i used, studios are filled with gear and you usually bring all your guitars, amps and effects and the thing that's important is to get a performance on tape (yes i started on tape...lol) finding a sound is more a matter of quickly trying amps and pedals until a sound clicks, record the part then it's on to the next part... i listened to some old recording made a while ago and wondered what was the weird sound on a part until i remembered that there was a Leslie in the studio and i used it... imagine if i'd lived in the 60s :wink:

ST. 1162
Information

Post by ST. 1162 »

JHS wrote:A few years ago I bought a venyl Mayall sampler on a flea market. It has an inlet with lots of photos and infos about the Beano recording session.

On one photo, Eric used a RM and sat with the LP in front of the amp, the RM was placed on the amp.
Do you you still have this lp? If so can you give us details about the album?

Someone posted pics elsewhere from an album they have which sounds like it might be the same one you found, but none of them showed a Rangemaster on top of the amp.

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

biffa wrote:Tell 'em about the yellow jacket tone,e.warrior!

Thick, complex tone but still has an amazing clarity. I'm loving it!

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

soulsonic wrote:The schematic in the auction makes me laugh. Someone thinks those brown things are resistors!
but it's obvious why he made that mistake..